HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 30, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #18,256 of 21,868
No, it goes on the plastic inner circumference of the cup, directly adjacent to that.

Thanks. Also, how do you stick the foam from a mouse pad on there?

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #18,257 of 21,868
If the strip is long enough (ie: the length of the inner circumference), it's held in simply by the foam attempting to return to flat.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #18,258 of 21,868

anyone tryed "Cayin cs55a" with HE-6?

look nice, but no idea about the sound sig. found one for sale locally (1700$) and wanted to ask about it. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #18,259 of 21,868
Otherwise there's always good old adhesive-backed Creatology foam.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #18,260 of 21,868
Mouse pad has different reflective and vibration damping properties compared to just creatology felt.  Like @Armaegis said, If make the mouse pad strip a little longer than the inner circumference of the cups it should hold itself in place pushing outward.  Look closely at my pictures, they show the mouse pad starting at the cable connector and wrapping around the gray plastic part of the driver until it returns to the cable connector.  Hope this helps!

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #18,261 of 21,868
  If the strip is long enough (ie: the length of the inner circumference), it's held in simply by the foam attempting to return to flat.

Otherwise there's always good old adhesive-backed Creatology foam.

Thanks. I'll first give the mouse pad foam a go since creatology foam is tricky to find here locally.

Mouse pad has different reflective and vibration damping properties compared to just creatology felt.  Like @Armaegis said, If make the mouse pad strip a little longer than the inner circumference of the cups it should hold itself in place pushing outward.  Look closely at my pictures, they show the mouse pad starting at the cable connector and wrapping around the gray plastic part of the driver until it returns to the cable connector.  Hope this helps!

Can you please expand on this a little further? is it better than creatology foam?

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #18,262 of 21,868
In my experience, yes.  Just the obvious thickness is going to provide better damping for sure.  The felt might be better for absorbing high frequencies but not much.  I think part of the improvement is the vibration damping much like the sorbothane mods people do on stax and other headphones.  Take a look at my pictures so that you use a thick enough mouse pad.  Good luck!

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #18,263 of 21,868

anyone tryed "Cayin cs55a" with HE-6?

look nice, but no idea about the sound sig. found one for sale locally (1700$) and wanted to ask about it. 

I had a Cayin A-70T amp for a couple of years for my bedroom speakers. Also used them with HE 6 from speaker taps. It sounded good with HE 6 but my Marantz vintage PM-500 sounds better. Don't recommend buying one specially for HE 6.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #18,264 of 21,868
  I had a Cayin A-70T amp for a couple of years for my bedroom speakers. Also used them with HE 6 from speaker taps. It sounded good with HE 6 but my Marantz vintage PM-500 sounds better. Don't recommend buying one specially for HE 6.

thanks for the info :D 

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #18,266 of 21,868
I was going to suggest HD800 or HD600 but you already have those!   Modded HE-6 is amazing with pretty much all music.  Haven't heard the K812 so no idea but this is the HE-6 thread so...HE-6?  
tongue.gif

Edit:  Are your HD600's balanced?  If not, you might want to give them a listen balanced.  HD650 balanced is supposed to be pretty great and I actually prefer the HD600 for it's neutrality and slightly less warmth compared to the HD650.  

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #18,267 of 21,868

Many people wonder how much money you'll have to spend to properly drive your HE-6.At my big surprise (i usually drive the he-6 in balanced mode with my Violectric V281 and my Audio Gd Master 9) the other day i tried the new iCAN SE by iFi Audio and this new bay boy drives the HE-6 like a mad! With 4 watt at 16 ohm the power is really enough. If you engage the bass boost at minimum settings the sound of the HE-6 becomes full engaging fast and literally neutral.The sound is not as refined as with the Master 9 but for 300 bucks you get very very close. Well worth a try!!!

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #18,268 of 21,868
  Many people wonder how much money you'll have to spend to properly drive your HE-6.At my big surprise (i usually drive the he-6 in balanced mode with my Violectric V281 and my Audio Gd Master 9) the other day i tried the new iCAN SE by iFi Audio and this new bay boy drives the HE-6 like a mad! With 4 watt at 16 ohm the power is really enough. If you engage the bass boost at minimum settings the sound of the HE-6 becomes full engaging fast and literally neutral.The sound is not as refined as with the Master 9 but for 300 bucks you get very very close. Well worth a try!!!

It would be interesting to know what the power output of the iCAN is at 50 ohms - extrapolating the 16 ohm figure gives about 1.3W.
I think in the race to use ever more powerful power amps it's overlooked that the HE6 can still sound very good driven by amps offering around 1.5W/50ohms - maybe even less. I'm not talking about being driven optimally (whatever that means) but adequately - such that you still get a good measure of the HE6's qualities.
FWIW, IMO, the HE6 still sounds pretty fine driven directly from the HP output of the Grace m920 (1.5W) - and would prefer it to the much easier to drive HE500 from the m920.
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #18,269 of 21,868
Driving the HE-6 to loud enough volume alone is not an issue. Having the dynamics, clarity and slam the HE-6 are capable of, bringing the best out of the HE-6 is a whole different deal. I haven't heard the HE-6 on the iDSD but it would be very interesting to see it compared to a decent vintage amp at that price. I tried many different headphone amps with the HE-6 and I felt my vintage amps sounded better on the HE-6. One of my friends has the iDSD Micro so I'll try it out. I tried my HE-6 with the LC. It drives them loud, but I felt I was missing out on a lot compared to my power amp.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #18,270 of 21,868
I have the Retro S50. This drive my freinds HE-6 (not my headphone) really, really well. Not just the harmonic but the Xbass and 3d circuit he really found unsual. he was impressed and is now selling his USA dac/amp ad orederd a Retro full system. He doesnt use speaker much but he said he might as well do it.

The vintage amp vs retro is interesting for me as here in hk we have a lots of old amps and the retro is tubey but not too much coloured. just right i think. but try yourself is always my advice as we al hear different things and you might hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back