HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 26, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #18,241 of 21,867
Thanks rlawli; wuwhere. Wasn't aware the MC275 was solid state amp using a tube output and wondered in general about tube output transformer needing resistors to show a load.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #18,242 of 21,867
Have I made a mistake?    I had been under the impression that the HE-6 has been discontinued by Hifiman some months ago.   But when I happened by the HFM website, there it was among listed products.  Did I get it wrong, the HE-6 is still in production or maybe they have yet to sell out of remaining inventory.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #18,244 of 21,867
I've been holding out, hoping they might put the last batch on sale before it's gone for good.  I'm not in any real hurry since my HE-400i's are getting the job done.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #18,245 of 21,867
It's a real shame they're dropping it.  Their is a place of a very demanding unit that when given the right amp, sings like none other.   For that it's worth all the troubles.  Just like those stat's of old which they tried to be full range, all the way to the 20's.  A tinkers' dream and an amp's nightmare.

gl

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #18,246 of 21,867
It's a real shame they're dropping it.  Their is a place of a very demanding unit that when given the right amp, sings like none other.   For that it's worth all the troubles.  Just like those stat's of old which they tried to be full range, all the way to the 20's.  A tinkers' dream and an amp's nightmare.

gl

Might be a marketing decision. They realize that it can compete with their flagships at a much lower price.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #18,250 of 21,867
At one point, would have agreed without qualification.   However, my Pass amp turns out to be the lightest duty rating, an First Watt F3 which at the moment is driving EL-8's (
eek.gif
, I know) quite nicely but is probably not up to the task of taking on an HE 6.   

Best wishes.  

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #18,253 of 21,867
  At one point, would have agreed without qualification.   However, my Pass amp turns out to be the lightest duty rating, an First Watt F3 which at the moment is driving EL-8's (
eek.gif
, I know) quite nicely but is probably not up to the task of taking on an HE 6.   

Best wishes.  

Low listening levels should be great with the HE-6 F3 combo.  The F3 is voltage limited, though, so you will run into clipping...

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #18,254 of 21,867
  @ohhgourami  So I think I found something kind of huge!  Your idea of covering the inside of the Audeze velour pads had me thinking why does that work?  Then I realized that,similar to the fuzzor mod,  you are trying to get rid of hard reflective surfaces.  The leather isn't that hard but it still will create unwanted reflections.  I was rummaging around with my modding materials and stumbled on an old mouse pad.  I got thinking...what if I used rubber to dampen the outside of the cups between the grill and driver?  I tried it with ~1/8 inch strip of rubber, enough to cover the plastic but still be able to put the grills back on.  I put them on and WOW!

I had been using the stock grills because the "open grills" made the treble hotter and more etched.  After this mod, the open grills sound fantastic and the treble is soooo smooth and realistic.  Also, due to less reflections, there is an added benefit of a clearer picture and increased resolution.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Edit:  Just to emphasize how much of a difference this makes, I had been using the foam inserts from my Beyer DT880s to take the treble edge off.  After this mod, I took those things out!  

So I tried doing this mod and I took off the grills. The foam goes on top of the black felt thing? also, how do you stick the mousepad foam on this considering it is not adhesive?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #18,255 of 21,867

@ohhgourami
  So I think I found something kind of huge!  Your idea of covering the inside of the Audeze velour pads had me thinking why does that work?  Then I realized that,similar to the fuzzor mod,  you are trying to get rid of hard reflective surfaces.  The leather isn't that hard but it still will create unwanted reflections.  I was rummaging around with my modding materials and stumbled on an old mouse pad.  I got thinking...what if I used rubber to dampen the outside of the cups between the grill and driver?  I tried it with ~1/8 inch strip of rubber, enough to cover the plastic but still be able to put the grills back on.  I put them on and WOW!

I had been using the stock grills because the "open grills" made the treble hotter and more etched.  After this mod, the open grills sound fantastic and the treble is soooo smooth and realistic.  Also, due to less reflections, there is an added benefit of a clearer picture and increased resolution.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Edit:  Just to emphasize how much of a difference this makes, I had been using the foam inserts from my Beyer DT880s to take the treble edge off.  After this mod, I took those things out!  

So I tried doing this mod and I took off the grills. The foam goes on top of the black felt thing? also, how do you stick the mousepad foam on this considering it is not adhesive?

Thanks

No, it goes on the plastic inner circumference of the cup, directly adjacent to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back