1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
  1. Mshenay Contributor
    Right, I figured Fuff it, my amp will do good enough till I can an will eventually upgrade 

2. jarnopp

Several posts on this page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/5400 and post #5410 specifically has a picture. (What, you didn't read the whole thread?!).

I did not mount the felt to the ring, but to the housing,so used a bigger disc, and I mounted the alpha pads like this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/525#post_11870933

3. jelt2359 Contributor
    Got it. Just to confirm, it's basically a ring of felt with a 'quarter' cut out in the middle, right?

4. jarnopp

Yeah, middle, or offset toward the front has been suggested. You can vary the diameter (see posts quoted above) from 20-50mm). I did 40mm at about 8mm offset. In searching for felt, I found that most of the craft store felts has high acrylic content, which I didn't try, but assume would sound reflective and plastic-y. I ordered a sheet of 1.2mm 100% wool felt from The Felt Store, which was about $20 shipped. Certainly something to try, and fully reversible.

jelt2359 likes this.
  5. Armaegis

You cannot make that assumption, especially in fibre form.

6. jarnopp

I suppose you are technically correct, since I haven't A/B'd both. But I am pleased enough with this current mod that I probably will not bother. Perhaps someone else will or has?

7. bosiemoncrieff
    There's a distinct deficit of experts on the acrylic content of felt on this forum...

8. wooo headphones
    When people make such a strong point about these being hard to drive, are they basically saying you need a speaker amp for it? Why is this such a turn-off for some people?

9. Tobes

Inconvenience I suppose.
    It's not like the HE6 can't be driven by a headphone amp. For instance, the superiority of the HE6 over the HD600 is still readily apparent via my Grace m920. The HE6 also smokes the HD600 via the HP output of a cheap Yamaha AV amp for movie watching too. But maybe it should given the price difference.[​IMG] 

10. jelt2359 Contributor
    I think many headphone amps underpower the he6. It doesn't mean it won't sound better than other hp's depending on your taste, but if you really want to hear what the he6 can do when maxed out, then hook her up to a really powerful amp- which tend to be speaker amps- and let her sing.

11. Oregonian

And connect it direct to the speaker taps of that powerful amp and really let her sing.................

12. Silent One

Interesting. As I'd like to learn more, would you please express a bit more? Thanks.

13. rlawli
    In what regard? The factory tech said the HE-6 headphones would work connected to either the 8Ω or 16Ω speaker terminals and that they should not cause any issues with the amp. Other than it would do no harm, no technical explanation was offered. I have tried both but I use the 16Ω terminals simply due to their closer impedance match with the HE-6's. Sounds great with all kinds of material, although it can run out of headroom turned up during a full symphony orchestra finale. 

14. wuwhere Contributor

The McIntosh MC275 is still a solid state amp. In a tube amp, the output transformers matches the very high impedance of the output tubes to the speakers which are low impedance.

Some people think its just marketing by McIntosh (http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/mcintosh-transformers/).

15. rlawli
    Mr. McGowan is certainly entitled to his favorite design principles; no one would dispute the quality of PS Audio's products; and, I usually find his musings thoughtful, if not thought provoking. I'd appreciate, however, your pointing out where he claims the MC275 is a solid state; i.e., transistor powered, amp. He does seem to suggest that McIntosh used output transformers to be able to claim high wattage outputs for marketing purposes while not violating the Federal Trade Commission's Rules on "Power Output Claims for Amplifiers Utilized in Home Entertainment Products," aka the FTC's Power Rating Regulations.

Whatever McIntosh's actual design motivation, this suggestion is simply inaccurate: the FTC's Power Rating Regs were first set out in 39 FR 15387 (May 3, 1974); and incidentally, contemporaneous with the release of PS Audio's first product. Perhaps that had something to do with Mr. McGowen's focus on designs that could meet the then new FTC regulations or maybe it was because he was spending a lot of time thinking about tube designs forty years later in 2013, thinking that was subsequently realized in PS Audio's first tube amp in 2015. In any event, the MC275 went into production in 1961, some 13 years earlier the FTC Power Rating Reg, and its basic topology has been unchanged up through the 50th anniversary MC275 Mk VI.

Regarding the MC275 sound, to me it is definitely tuby, not solid state; but YMMV, as is oft repeated in this thread. To somewhat balance one famous person's "just marketing" suggestion, I would point out in closing this post that the MC275 was, and remained Les Paul's studio headphone amp.