HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #18,016 of 21,868
  left mini coax (bad part of the split) operates exactly like the right mini coax. XLR pins are still in place as are the wires leading to the 4 pins. Nothing stands out along the main cable. Would take a lot of force to stretch the main cable without the Master 11 sliding. Maybe ill replace the coax somewhere inbetween the 4-7 week Norne cable wait. So far swapping the HE-560 aint old yet lol

Do you have a volt meter? You can check for continuity on each wire.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #18,017 of 21,868
Can someone who has used or owns the Schiit Ragnarok let me know which gain setting they use for the HE-6 and what point the volume reaches a listenable level?

Is the highest gain setting and a position of 1 o'clock typical for this headphone? The HE-6 arrived yesterday and the Ragnarok today, so I'd like to double check.

High gain, definitely. Final volume position will depend on the input voltage from your DAC. I had it up to 3:00 at a show once, and it wasn't exactly deafening... But the source wasn't a loud one and I was listening in short spurts. It would have probably been too loud for extended listening, though. There was clearly a point where the dynamics really engaged on the Ragnarok... But again volume levels are very, very source dependent.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #18,018 of 21,868
High gain, definitely. Final volume position will depend on the input voltage from your DAC.

And how compressed the recording is. Using a Luxman L507U at 110w per channel some Pink Floyd had me heading up 12 o'clock where most stuff I was listening to didn't go past 10.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #18,019 of 21,868
High gain, definitely. Final volume position will depend on the input voltage from your DAC.

And how compressed the recording is. Using a Luxman L507U at 110w per channel some Pink Floyd had me heading up 12 o'clock where most stuff I was listening to didn't go past 10.

Oh, definitely! You know me man, I was blasting Spawn of Possession. :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #18,020 of 21,868
Oh my, oh my! I mounted felt on the back of the vegan pads the other night and now my HE-6 sounds more close to perfect than anything I have heard. It's like the HE-6 doesn't have it's signature sound any longer: The excess treble is finally gone(!) and overall tonality is just right (and if not, it's slightly to the darker side, not the brighter). Voices sound spot on natural. Bass amount is also right (again: if not, there's more bass than neutral, not less). All in all the whole frequency range is beautifully in balance now in my opinion, which was the whole point with the modding to begin with.

The mods I have done currently are: Outer grill, foam and fibres are removed. (I plan to put acoustically transparent cloth on the plastic ring to avoid dust etc. entering the headphone.) Audeze micro suede pads (with felt added to the side facing the driver) taped directly to the headphone-cup for a 100% complete seal. (The seal is important for sub bass to stay in level.) Felt on inner grill (aka "fuzzor mod").

The felt on both the inner grill (precisely cut and mounted) and the back of the pads only remove unwanted treble and has no drawbacks. The "vegan" pads sealed to the cup keeps the bass and sub bass up. Only possible slight drawback is that the driver is now further away from the ear which I recall gave a subjective sense of loss in resolution.

If I should do any additional mods it could be removing the stock quarter of foam on the inner grill and put felt on the grill there, and maybe trying to put vibration absorbing pads on the outside of the headphone/grill. And of course hardwiring. THEN it's over...

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #18,021 of 21,868
Did you try Audeze pads without fuzzor?
Audeze pads does a huge deal with treble for me, so much infact, that I dont need fuzzor at all.
I have not put felt on the inside of the Audeze pad yet tho. 
Yes I used the included 3M double sided tape to seal them tightly on! But I trimmed to the HE-6 cup size. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #18,022 of 21,868
Oh my, oh my! I mounted felt on the back of the vegan pads the other night and now my HE-6 sounds more close to perfect than anything I have heard. It's like the HE-6 doesn't have it's signature sound any longer: The excess treble is finally gone(!) and overall tonality is just right (and if not, it's slightly to the darker side, not the brighter). Voices sound spot on natural. Bass amount is also right (again: if not, there's more bass than neutral, not less). All in all the whole frequency range is beautifully in balance now in my opinion, which was the whole point with the modding to begin with.

The mods I have done currently are: Outer grill, foam and fibres are removed. (I plan to put acoustically transparent cloth on the plastic ring to avoid dust etc. entering the headphone.) Audeze micro suede pads (with felt added to the side facing the driver) taped directly to the headphone-cup for a 100% complete seal. (The seal is important for sub bass to stay in level.) Felt on inner grill (aka "fuzzor mod").

The felt on both the inner grill (precisely cut and mounted) and the back of the pads only remove unwanted treble and has no drawbacks. The "vegan" pads sealed to the cup keeps the bass and sub bass up. Only possible slight drawback is that the driver is now further away from the ear which I recall gave a subjective sense of loss in resolution.

If I should do any additional mods it could be removing the stock quarter of foam on the inner grill and put felt on the grill there, and maybe trying to put vibration absorbing pads on the outside of the headphone/grill. And of course hardwiring. THEN it's over...

I told you so...

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #18,023 of 21,868

Got everything for my custom AVC from Tribute all ready for soldering. Blutack mod has stayed on and many others have been pleased with this mod too.

I've basically reached end-game and am looking at the next frontier - speakers.

Congrats on the AVC!

Looking forward to goin' 'Blutack'early in the new year...

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #18,024 of 21,868
I told you so...

Audeze pads does a huge deal with treble for me, so much infact, that I dont need fuzzor at all.
Yes I used the included 3M double sided tape to seal them tightly on! But I trimmed to the HE-6 cup size. 

Hmmm. I am afraid I don't remember in which order I did these two mods, so I can't remember if I have heard HE-6 with the vegan pads, but without the felt on inner grill.

I told you so...

Yes, but you also removed the felt on the (inner) grill which I didn't think was a good idea.
Anyway - thanks for the tip about this second felt-mod. It's a very nice additional mod.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #18,025 of 21,868

When you say you are putting felt on the inside of audeze vegan pads, where exactly inside is this? I've not read of this mod before. Can you please explain the process to do this?

Also, you mean using the 3m tape that comes with the pads yeah? Ive already used all 4 of those rings.. so not sure what i'll do if I take the pads off again.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #18,026 of 21,868
Originally Posted by Jozurr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you say you are putting felt on the inside of audeze vegan pads, where exactly inside is this? I've not read of this mod before. Can you please explain the process to do this?
Also, you mean using the 3m tape that comes with the pads yeah? Ive already used all 4 of those rings.. so not sure what i'll do if I take the pads off again.

If you have the pads mounted, it's the vinyl covered part which is facing the driver (and the acoustically transparent cloth on the pad itself). To see it you can put your finger into the pad and pull towards you. Then you can see the vinyl and this is the part we cover with felt. I haven't used the double sided tape which comes with the Audeze pads since it is extremely sticky and strong and I have wanted to be able to take the pads off for re-modding. However, it is advisable to use a sticky, but not too strong double sided tape to get the pads mounted properly and making sure there is no gaps between the tape bits you put on since this might compromise the sub bass.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #18,027 of 21,868
I accidentally stuck the two-side adhesive as it is and mounted directly on the driver to find later that adhesive protrudes beyond driver circumeference.

Removing the pad from the driver is easy but it is impossible to remove the adhesive from the pad without damage.

So I decided to do the ohhgourami felt mod from the outside.

I put adhesive felt (cut as ohgourami showed with his template) so that felt is facing the driver side.

You could name it inner felt mod from the outside. :)

And it did work.

Felt was kept in place on driver with a noodle of blu tack between driver and felt (not the blu tack mod).

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #18,028 of 21,868

Honestly, I'm looking at snaggin a pair of these bad bois, but all the mods are starting to worry me q.q 

I've had my HE 4 for a while an I'm in the mood for an upgrade, though I don't have the time I used to to mod. 

speaking of, how are you guys Mounting the Audeze Vegan Pads btw, 

Non the less, how do you guys feel about the overall detail an clarity on the HE 6 with only the Audeze Pads mounted, 

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #18,029 of 21,868
Honestly, I'm looking at snaggin a pair of these bad bois, but all the mods are starting to worry me q.q 

I've had my HE 4 for a while an I'm in the mood for an upgrade, though I don't have the time I used to to mod. 

speaking of, how are you guys Mounting the Audeze Vegan Pads btw, 

Non the less, how do you guys feel about the overall detail an clarity on the HE 6 with only the Audeze Pads mounted, 

Dunno about the vegan pads but I'm more than happy with the clarity and detail with the stock velour pads.
I think people forget that the stock phones were often compared and preferred to the best around.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #18,030 of 21,868
Dunno about the vegan pads but I'm more than happy with the clarity and detail with the stock velour pads.
I think people forget that the stock phones were often compared and preferred to the best around.

I just really need to score a stock pair with a balanced cable an demo them

I have an HEX coming to me, hopefully with a balanced cable 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back