HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 28, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #16,291 of 21,868
ya doesn't say much, but HE6 is really special, I just like this headphone more and more leaving HD800 and TH900 in my drawer. :)
I should grab 1 or 2 pair as a backup before they discontinue (if). ^^

A few of us have been there! I sold off HD800, T1, LCD2.2c, GS1000i and then it saw off a two week long home audition of the LCD-X (easily, too).

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #16,293 of 21,868
Just got an HE-6.

I've been having problem with the left earcup's connector. The left cable end's connector nut won't screw to the earcup. I tried swapping the cable's connection, from left to right/right to left. 

When connecting Left cable to Left cup –> makes contact but the nut won’t tighten at all (it’ll spin loosely). So when I actually put the headphones on my head, it’ll disconnect after a short while (probably gravity? :p)
When connecting Right cable to Left cup -> makes contact, and nut will tighten, but a very awkwardly. This is still largely untested, but it makes a more secure connection than "L > L” ever would. 

When connecting Left cable to Right cup -> makes contact, and the nut will tighten without any awkwardness
When connecting Right cable to Right cup -> makes contact, and the nut will tighten without any awkwardness. 

I checked the firmness of the connection by giving it a very gentle pull, seems like “L>L” just won’t connect securely, gravity itself will disconnect it. As where the same amount of gentle pull on the right (with the other combinations) will be just fine. 

I also tried using the spare connectors (two of them) with the left cup, and they seem to screw the nut better than the left cable would; but I’m not very certain (I wouldn’t isolate it to a cable issue yet).

At the moment, I swapped between left and right connections, and I wear the headphone backwards too (L to R). I've also put adhesive-putty (like gum) to help secure the connection. Seems to be OK so far. 

Is it known if the HE-6 can be worn as an "ambidextrous" cans (of course, with the L/R channels swapped)?

Beautiful sounding headphones, with industrial design flaws. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #16,294 of 21,868
Seems like the thread on both the left cup and cable have both been partially stripped - clumsily connected and then forced?
I presume these are S/H?

The fix is to obtain another male coax connector for the left cup and I'd replace the left female coax on the cable with one of the supplied spares.
This is not a difficult job if you're handy with a soldering iron - and the connector itself would be cheap…or perhaps free from Hifiman(?) if you ask.

If you received them in this state you might consider sending them back on principle - but if you got them cheap because of this(?), well the fix is cheap and easy.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #16,295 of 21,868
Nah, these are brand new. I'm not sure if I've been rough, I don't think I have. I did both left and right connectors the same way, and didn't use pliers or anything like that. Just odd that the right cable, will connect to the left cup just fine. That's how I'm running it, swapped l/r cables to cups, and then wear the headphone flipped sides.

I took a careful look on the left earcup's threads, doesn't seem damaged (though I can only see on the sides that are visible). And again, the right cable will connect to the left earcup just fine. gentle pull won't disconnect it. 

I also secured it with some adhesive putty, JUST in case. A few hours in, I'm not noticing any intermittent sound glitches from connection issues. It really seems like I can wear the HE-6 flipped; the hardware design is friendly to whichever direction you wanna wear it ;P.

On a brighter note; the seller's been very responsive and is arranging to have a replacement cable sent to me. Hopefully this will help fix (or at least isolate) the issue.

Also: any recommendation for headband sleeve/pads? the headband could use a bit more cushioning. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #16,296 of 21,868
  Nah, these are brand new. I'm not sure if I've been rough, I don't think I have. I did both left and right connectors the same way, and didn't use pliers or anything like that. Just odd that the right cable, will connect to the left cup just fine. That's how I'm running it, swapped l/r cables to cups, and then wear the headphone flipped sides.

I took a careful look on the left earcup's threads, doesn't seem damaged (though I can only see on the sides that are visible). And again, the right cable will connect to the left earcup just fine. gentle pull won't disconnect it. 

I also secured it with some adhesive putty, JUST in case. A few hours in, I'm not noticing any intermittent sound glitches from connection issues. It really seems like I can wear the HE-6 flipped; the hardware design is friendly to whichever direction you wanna wear it ;P.

On a brighter note; the seller's been very responsive and is arranging to have a replacement cable sent to me. Hopefully this will help fix (or at least isolate) the issue.

Also: any recommendation for headband sleeve/pads? the headband could use a bit more cushioning. 

You`re probably totally on to this already, but you do realize that the cable can rotate freely in relation to the nut, right? So maybe you are turning the cable but the nut is not turning on the cup`s bolt, because the threads are fouled or something?  

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #16,297 of 21,868
my head hurts trying to understand what little I know about hardware. I grew up with video games, far from anything mechanical. My idea of "fixing things around the house" is going on Amazon and find a replacement. 

But yea, I realize if I hold and turn the connector by the heatshrink neck, the cable would twist too. In the past, I've seen a mechanism where the "neck" would lock the nut after a few degree of rotation, and that lock will help the two threads push/move into place. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #16,298 of 21,868

You`re probably totally on to this already, but you do realize that the cable can rotate freely in relation to the nut, right? So maybe you are turning the cable but the nut is not turning on the cup`s bolt, because the threads are fouled or something?  

that sounds about right! I do hope it's not a faulty thread/bolt; since these are brand new. again, I don't understand why the right cable connector's nut will work with the left earcup's bolt/thread just fine. (and the left cable's connector will connect to the right earcup as well!)

I stopped toying around with the connectors after a few tries, in fear of damaging it. 

I also agree with other members; the SMC-type connector leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 2.5mm connector with a screw-housing/sleeve/barrel (like the Sony MDR-Z7) is probably one of my favourite connectors! 

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #16,299 of 21,868
I have a question for you folks.  First, I do not currently own the HE-6 headphones.  Some time back, when I decided to get a pair of high-end headphones, I auditioned the HE-6s, along with others. (I ultimately picked the LCD-3s).  From my notes, I see that the volume on my Schiit Mjolnir was usually in the 10 to 11 o'clock range.  Even my little tube MP-301 (2wpc) seemed to drive the 6s pretty well.  Now I am pretty well versed in the concept of dynamic headroom and subscribe to that concept myself.  But I never felt that the Mj or the 301 were strained or the music was constrained in any way.  I also realize that other people listen at higher spls than I do.  I've been a headphone listener since the mid 90s and my hearing is still quite good (hooray for me).  So the question -

Why/when did the use of 20, 50 or even 100wpc stereo power amplifiers come into vogue for driving the 6s?
As far as dynamics go, is everyone listening to audiophile-grade symphony recordings?  Most of the pop music released in the last 20 years has little or no dynamic range due to compression.  (Ah, not an indictment of current music, just a fact)
If these amps are used with any kind of T or pi attenuator, the output impedance will increase.  This seems counter-intuitive given the 6s nominal impedance of only 50 ohms.

Please don't interpret this as some sort of challenge - it isn't.  How or with what someone chooses to enjoy their music is their business, not mine.  I'm merely asking if somebody who has HE-6s and been around long enough to know the how and why can tell me.

Cheers and thanks

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #16,300 of 21,868
An amp rated at 100W into a 4ohm load is equivalently 12.5W into a 32ohm load, or 8W into the 50ohm load of the HE-6. This is assuming your voltage output is held constant. So the numbers aren't quite as wacky as they first seem.

If the Mjolnir had the current capacity to be a speaker amp, it would put out 64W into a 4ohm load.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #16,301 of 21,868

Member Lohb can provide you with a suspension style headband that I have on my HE-6 that made the headphone very comfortable to wear.  PM him and/or look in the "Cables/Tweaks...." section of the for sale board as he has an ad up there for this item.  Highly recommended. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #16,303 of 21,868
I have a question for you folks.  First, I do not currently own the HE-6 headphones.  Some time back, when I decided to get a pair of high-end headphones, I auditioned the HE-6s, along with others. (I ultimately picked the LCD-3s).  From my notes, I see that the volume on my Schiit Mjolnir was usually in the 10 to 11 o'clock range.  Even my little tube MP-301 (2wpc) seemed to drive the 6s pretty well.  Now I am pretty well versed in the concept of dynamic headroom and subscribe to that concept myself.  But I never felt that the Mj or the 301 were strained or the music was constrained in any way.  I also realize that other people listen at higher spls than I do.  I've been a headphone listener since the mid 90s and my hearing is still quite good (hooray for me).  So the question -

Why/when did the use of 20, 50 or even 100wpc stereo power amplifiers come into vogue for driving the 6s?
As far as dynamics go, is everyone listening to audiophile-grade symphony recordings?  Most of the pop music released in the last 20 years has little or no dynamic range due to compression.  (Ah, not an indictment of current music, just a fact)
If these amps are used with any kind of T or pi attenuator, the output impedance will increase.  This seems counter-intuitive given the 6s nominal impedance of only 50 ohms.

Please don't interpret this as some sort of challenge - it isn't.  How or with what someone chooses to enjoy their music is their business, not mine.  I'm merely asking if somebody who has HE-6s and been around long enough to know the how and why can tell me.

Cheers and thanks
Dr Fang auditioned them at the NY meet on a Threshold SS amp when they were released.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #16,304 of 21,868

Member Lohb can provide you with a suspension style headband that I have on my HE-6 that made the headphone very comfortable to wear.  PM him and/or look in the "Cables/Tweaks...." section of the for sale board as he has an ad up there for this item.  Highly recommended. 

I did! Thanks! I hope to see mine in two-three weeks :wink:

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #16,305 of 21,868

Users who are viewing this thread

Back