HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #16,261 of 21,868
Well you know as well as anyone on here.  You've been around a long time there buddy.
biggrin.gif
   If your going with the v281 go with the 560.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #16,262 of 21,868
I just wanted to make sure the HE-6 sounded as I remembered it!

I was hoping a modest setup such as the HE-560/Lyr 2 would do it for me but it doesn't seem to cut it for me. If I never sold my HE-6 and HD800 I wouldn't have this issue right now...

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #16,264 of 21,868
Agree on the open soundstage and energy. It gets the job done. But no such thing as thin on either of Theta Gen V + HE-9, EC 2A3MK4, Moon 430HA or class A speaker amp. I chose to use the horrible dust magnet velour pads, for the sound quality.

The stock HD800s on any of this, yeah that's thinner sounding than I would like.

Any mods that would further open up the sound and add clarity to the HE-6s, I'm all for it. No thinness or sharpness or anything undue with treble at all whatsoever here.
Nice, does the EC 2A3 have enough oomph to drive the HE6s? Btw still loving your KGSSHV!

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #16,265 of 21,868

If I never sold my HE-6 and HD800 I wouldn't have this issue right now...

Sometimes it takes separation to really crystallise how you feel about something. I sold my first HE-6 and then turned around a few months later and brought it again. Can't see myself selling it again, not ever.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #16,266 of 21,868

Sometimes it takes separation to really crystallise how you feel about something. I sold my first HE-6 and then turned around a few months later and brought it again. Can't see myself selling it again, not ever.

I think Joni Mitchell mentions something about your HE-6 in an old song of hers....

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #16,267 of 21,868
What exactly does doing the grill mod, removing the cotton and cloth do to the overall frequency response?
Has anyone ever actually measured the frequency response before and after?
What about the fuzzor mod?
Anyone ever measured before and after?
What about leather vs velour ear pads?
Thanks.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #16,268 of 21,868
Does anyone have the he560 as well as the he6? It's been a long time since I heard them do audio memory is bad at this point. I'm seriously considering getting the he6 again.

Woukd I be right if the big difference is that the he6 has deeper bass and smoother mids? I know my amp is not adequate but looking at a v281 in the next few months.

I don't have the he560 -  but I've had the he500 for some 14 months and I now have the he6 and I've been comparing them both via the v281 over the past few days. Both my he500 and he6 are stock and I'm using the balanced xlr output of the v281 (the balanced output sounds much better with both headphones).

The v281 drives the he6 with both considerable dynamic authority and finesse. I haven't yet got around to running the he6 from my Odyssey speaker amp, but once I make an appropriate pigtail adapter I will try that. Regardless of that outcome, its hard to argue with the very fine reproduction of the he6 used with the v281 - and of course using a headphone amp can be much more convenient.

With the v281 the bass of the he6 has significantly more impact, tautness and detail than the 500's. By comparison the overall sound of the 500's is closer in perspective, bloomier, less defined and precise - positional information, both lateral and in depth is less well portrayed.  Venue acoustics are considerably more obscured with the 500. The reproduction of chimes, cymbals (and their decay) is more realistic with the he6 - again, this is by comparison, on its own the he500 sounds fine enough. Given all the latter, it's no surprise that orchestral music sounds much more satisfying with the 6's but I also prefer smaller ensemble jazz with the 6's as well. Actually I think most music sounds better with the 6's - the 500's fuller sound and less emphatic upper mids/highs can be more forgiving of some harsher material - but I can't see myself using the 500's much in preference to the he6.
I think vocals are more realistically captured with the 6's and on centre focus is much better too. Speech is a good test, I found movie dialogue (and other soundtrack effects) are better reproduced with the he6. *Edit - but this is dependent on the soundtrack, I found out with further listening that the 500 can be preferable - it remains a very good headphone.

I had in mind to keep both headphones, but now having compared them I think I'll be selling the 500's.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #16,269 of 21,868
Oh, btw, the above comparison was done with both headphones using the stock velour pads and their respective stock cords.
Source was mainly hi-def music via my NAS > Mac mini > Ifi usb power filter > Grace M903 dac > v281
I also used other music sources including Tidal and Spotify streaming.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #16,270 of 21,868
Nice, does the EC 2A3 have enough oomph to drive the HE6s? Btw still loving your KGSSHV!

More than enough. It does a great job with my full size speakers too lol. Now that was even more unexpected.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #16,271 of 21,868
Hello, which tubes uses you on the 2A3?

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #16,272 of 21,868
Amperex 5842, EML Solid plates / RCA Black plates NOS 2A3s, Sylvania/Philips EY500A.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #16,273 of 21,868
Currently on my amplifier two tubes Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH Gold and two tubes Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH Gold, the tubes of power are Chinese 2A3, next stage it will be tube Electro-Harmonix 2A3-EH Gold.

http://imagesia.com/electro-harmonix-2a3-eh-gold-grid_wu4t

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #16,274 of 21,868
  I don't have the he560 -  but I've had the he500 for some 14 months and I now have the he6 and I've been comparing them both via the v281 over the past few days. Both my he500 and he6 are stock and I'm using the balanced xlr output of the v281 (the balanced output sounds much better with both headphones).

The v281 drives the he6 with both considerable dynamic authority and finesse. I haven't yet got around to running the he6 from my Odyssey speaker amp, but once I make an appropriate pigtail adapter I will try that. Regardless of that outcome, its hard to argue with the very fine reproduction of the he6 used with the v281 - and of course using a headphone amp can be much more convenient.

With the v281 the bass of the he6 has significantly more impact, tautness and detail than the 500's. By comparison the overall sound of the 500's is closer in perspective, bloomier, less defined and precise - positional information, both lateral and in depth is less well portrayed.  Venue acoustics are considerably more obscured with the 500. The reproduction of chimes, cymbals (and their decay) is more realistic with the he6 - again, this is by comparison, on its own the he500 sounds fine enough. Given all the latter, it's no surprise that orchestral music sounds much more satisfying with the 6's but I also prefer smaller ensemble jazz with the 6's as well. Actually I think most music sounds better with the 6's - the 500's fuller sound and less emphatic upper mids/highs can be more forgiving of some harsher material - but I can't see myself using the 500's much in preference to the he6.
I think vocals are more realistically captured with the 6's and on centre focus is much better too. Speech is a good test, I found movie dialogue (and other soundtrack effects) are better reproduced with the he6. 

I had in mind to keep both headphones, but now having compared them I think I'll be selling the 500's.

Thank you for your impressions. I did have the HE-500 a while back so this is helpful. I did get confirmation some time ago from an opinion I value highly that the HE-6 and V281 sounds very good balanced but it's good to hear from others as well. I have a balanced cable coming in for my HE-560 but I could very easily use it on a HE-6 if I do purchase it. 

I would definitely try it on your Odyssey amp just to see how it fares. I figure if I do end up getting the HD800 again (lol..no more selling this time if I do) that this amp would do much better than a speaker amp for versatility.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #16,275 of 21,868

Thank you for your impressions. I did have the HE-500 a while back so this is helpful. I did get confirmation some time ago from an opinion I value highly that the HE-6 and V281 sounds very good balanced but it's good to hear from others as well. I have a balanced cable coming in for my HE-560 but I could very easily use it on a HE-6 if I do purchase it. 

I would definitely try it on your Odyssey amp just to see how it fares. I figure if I do end up getting the HD800 again (lol..no more selling this time if I do) that this amp would do much better than a speaker amp for versatility.

I haven't heard the 560, but going by reports it seems to slot in between the 500 and 6 in terms of tonal balance - but a bit closer to the 6(?).
To be honest, this would be more nearly ideal in terms of balance - there are times when the 6's upper mid/lower highs sound a bit much…..but the 6's sound awfully good on most material. 
Personally I don't think i'd pursue the 6's if I already owned the 560. 
Given the 560's design/comfort/efficiency advantages, I dare say it would be the far more sane choice for most people.

My rationale for getting the 6 was that it would provide more of a contrast to the 500 and offer perhaps further gains if I chose to mess around with speaker amping. The HD800 was the other headphone I was thinking about - same price as he6 but in my mind more of an unknown/risk (for me). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back