HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 28, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #16,307 of 21,879
Apr 28, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #16,309 of 21,879
Linking some of my impressions to this thread if anyone is interested, especially since the HE-6s may or may not be about to be retired.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764154/cambridge-meet-impressions-25-april-2015/105#post_11553692

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #16,310 of 21,879
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #16,311 of 21,879

@Oregonian--I think @melikeheadphone was asking about your ear pads--which I believe to be Stax 007 pads. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Just trying to help out with the little confusion here...

You're right...............thanks! 

They are the black lamb leather Audeze pads.....................LOVE them.  Best pads I've tried..............ever.  I've tried Focus pads, both stock velour and pleather, Denon angles and Mr Speakers Alpha pads and I'd say these are the best by far. 

Appreciate the clarification, marshallmole. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #16,312 of 21,879

You're right...............thanks! 

They are the black lamb leather Audeze pads.....................LOVE them.  Best pads I've tried..............ever.  I've tried Focus pads, both stock velour and pleather, Denon angles and Mr Speakers Alpha pads and I'd say these are the best by far. 

Appreciate the clarification, marshallmole. 

Out of interest what do you prefer at those? I think I may have a spare pair somewhere.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #16,313 of 21,879
Comfort first and foremost, then bass response.  A great synergy with the HE-6. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #16,314 of 21,879
  I have a question for you folks.  First, I do not currently own the HE-6 headphones.  Some time back, when I decided to get a pair of high-end headphones, I auditioned the HE-6s, along with others. (I ultimately picked the LCD-3s).  From my notes, I see that the volume on my Schiit Mjolnir was usually in the 10 to 11 o'clock range.  Even my little tube MP-301 (2wpc) seemed to drive the 6s pretty well.  Now I am pretty well versed in the concept of dynamic headroom and subscribe to that concept myself.  But I never felt that the Mj or the 301 were strained or the music was constrained in any way.  I also realize that other people listen at higher spls than I do.  I've been a headphone listener since the mid 90s and my hearing is still quite good (hooray for me).  So the question -

Why/when did the use of 20, 50 or even 100wpc stereo power amplifiers come into vogue for driving the 6s?
As far as dynamics go, is everyone listening to audiophile-grade symphony recordings?  Most of the pop music released in the last 20 years has little or no dynamic range due to compression.  (Ah, not an indictment of current music, just a fact)
If these amps are used with any kind of T or pi attenuator, the output impedance will increase.  This seems counter-intuitive given the 6s nominal impedance of only 50 ohms.

Please don't interpret this as some sort of challenge - it isn't.  How or with what someone chooses to enjoy their music is their business, not mine.  I'm merely asking if somebody who has HE-6s and been around long enough to know the how and why can tell me.

Cheers and thanks

I think my experience is typical for a lot of people here : my 5w desktop tube headphone amp can drive my HE-6 to high volume, and it sounds good, maybe almost great.  But from the speaker taps of my balanced speaker amp (50w/8ohms) the HE-6 is transformed into something remarkable, IMO almost unbelievable. 

To answer your question I listen almost exclusively to `audiophile` grade remasters, uncompressed, lossless, DSD, 24bit, etc etc.  And I find almost all modern pop music unlistenable, sibbilant, clipping noise.  I`m not being a grouch here - I love pop music, rock, club music, techno, atmospheric dub/trippy stuff, around 50%, and around 50% modern jazz.  Some of the norwegian jazz artists have released some incredbly high-quality recordings recently.  And some pop music is coming out well-mastered, like Adele`s `unmastered` albums.  

I was a devotee of the HD800 for a couple of years, and demo`d the Audezes and Hifimans several times at shows here, and always thought, yeah, sounds good, but heavy, crude and expensive. Then last year I heard a stock HE-6 from the Mytek Manhattan at a shop in Bangkok, and sat there for around an hour listening with jaw open.   I bought one immediately, did the mods, and got a XLR4 - speakertap connector made, and that has been that.  

I`m curious to hear the HE-1000 next month at the show here.  I`ll be impressed if it sounds as good as my HE-6! 

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #16,315 of 21,879
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #16,316 of 21,879
[/IMG]
Sorry to crash.
Found my velour pad squashed not impressed I will change anyway see what like compared to leather ones

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #16,317 of 21,879
  I have a question for you folks.  First, I do not currently own the HE-6 headphones.  Some time back, when I decided to get a pair of high-end headphones, I auditioned the HE-6s, along with others. (I ultimately picked the LCD-3s).  From my notes, I see that the volume on my Schiit Mjolnir was usually in the 10 to 11 o'clock range.  Even my little tube MP-301 (2wpc) seemed to drive the 6s pretty well.  Now I am pretty well versed in the concept of dynamic headroom and subscribe to that concept myself.  But I never felt that the Mj or the 301 were strained or the music was constrained in any way.  I also realize that other people listen at higher spls than I do.  I've been a headphone listener since the mid 90s and my hearing is still quite good (hooray for me).  So the question -

Why/when did the use of 20, 50 or even 100wpc stereo power amplifiers come into vogue for driving the 6s?
As far as dynamics go, is everyone listening to audiophile-grade symphony recordings?  Most of the pop music released in the last 20 years has little or no dynamic range due to compression.  (Ah, not an indictment of current music, just a fact)
If these amps are used with any kind of T or pi attenuator, the output impedance will increase.  This seems counter-intuitive given the 6s nominal impedance of only 50 ohms.

Please don't interpret this as some sort of challenge - it isn't.  How or with what someone chooses to enjoy their music is their business, not mine.  I'm merely asking if somebody who has HE-6s and been around long enough to know the how and why can tell me.

Cheers and thanks

When the HE-6 was released there was no (or very few) super powerful headphone amps around - and as Happy Camper says - it was introduced connected to a speaker amp. However, since then quite a few headphone amps with several Watts into 50 Ohm has surfaced.

To me the Burson Soloist does an excellent job drivning HE-6 even though it is "only" about 1.7W @ 50 Ohm. I can't hear any signs of lack in power or whatever when comparing it to my 12 Kg heavy Audio-gd Master 6 which is doing 7W in comparison. And the Master 6 isn't lacking compared to my huge and 19.5 Kg heavy 50W class A (zero feedback) speaker amp.

So to me there is no point in driving the HE-6 with a speaker amp unless you do it becuase you just like the sound of that amp, you already have it, you want to save your money etc. etc.

Lots of others apparently hear things differently - I know - but since I only have my ears and not others, I go by what I hear and not what others hear ...

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #16,318 of 21,879

When the HE-6 was released there was no (or very few) super powerful headphone amps around - and as Happy Camper says - it was introduced connected to a speaker amp. However, since then quite a few headphone amps with several Watts into 50 Ohm has surfaced.

To me the Burson Soloist does an excellent job drivning HE-6 even though it is "only" about 1.7W @ 50 Ohm. I can't hear any signs of lack in power or whatever when comparing it to my 12 Kg heavy Audio-gd Master 6 which is doing 7W in comparison. And the Master 6 isn't lacking compared to my huge and 19.5 Kg heavy 50W class A (zero feedback) speaker amp.

So to me there is no point in driving the HE-6 with a speaker amp unless you do it becuase you just like the sound of that amp, you already have it, you want to save your money etc. etc.

Lots of others apparently hear things differently - I know - but since I only have my ears and not others, I go by what I hear and not what others hear ...

At what level of your volume knob do you listen with Soloist ?

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #16,319 of 21,879
[attach]1358045[/attach]
Sorry to crash.
Found my velour pad squashed not impressed I will change anyway see what like compared to leather ones[/quote]

Did you just get HE6 ? I had the same problem, I email hifidirect and got a replacement for free.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #16,320 of 21,879

At what level of your volume knob do you listen with Soloist ?

About halfway at high gain. Halfway is around 1 o'clock since the max is at 7 o'clock.
I consider myself a moderately loud listener which translates to about 70dB (and up to 80dB) in average SPL.
90dB in average is way too loud for me - speakers or headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back