= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #19,217 of 21,175
When I was testing out the HE-560 I thought it sounded very good for $500. But the build quality was a joke imo.

However that is a problem I have with all Hifiman headphones in general (which is also part of the reason why I never bought Hifiman headphones)
The Sundara is the first Hifiman headphone I've seen that isn't ridiculously expensive while looking both comfortable and well-built. How it feels is another story, though, may have to find out some day. The HE1000 and the Susvara are both metal construction and while I've never been near a Susvara, I've had a short period of time with the HE1000 and while I had confidence in the materials knowing it was metal construction, it felt more dainty than its materials would let on. If the Sundara feels more like it looks (*cough* totally doesn't look like Beyerdynamic's yoke design *cough*), then they might finally have a set of affordable headphones that you don't worry about breaking every half-second....provided they QC the drivers well. But you know, one step at a time. Sundara shows Hifiman's starting to go in a better direction with material construction, so they better continue on that path.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #19,218 of 21,175
Yeah my problem has been dead drivers (two so far, set #3 supposedly arriving tomorrow but we will see if they managed to actually send headphones instead of a headband this time). I was willing to put up with a fair amount of grief because the sound was glorious but I'm pretty discouraged at this point.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #19,219 of 21,175
From Mark of Hifiman Customer Service: "Sorry about this, we have had a recent bad batch of plastic, this is not normal and I shall get a replacement out to you."

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #19,220 of 21,175
From Mark of Hifiman Customer Service: "Sorry about this, we have had a recent bad batch of plastic, this is not normal and I shall get a replacement out to you."
My new headband sent by Mark is working great. It looks to be from a different batch, it has a grainier finish under the yoke's arch and so far no hairline cracks, but its only been 6 days since I got it. I truly hope it lasts. I am still on my 30 days warranty on my 2nd pair, sometimes I want to return it, but the sound its really making me think twice, thrice, etc... :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #19,221 of 21,175
It's nice they're finally owning up that there was a bad batch. Question is, have they identified and eliminated that batch or is it still floating around? My guess is they haven't done any kind of recall so these headphones would continue to be a land mine for the unwary.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #19,223 of 21,175
Got my set #2 back from HiFiMan service rather than a replacement set. Both sides working again for now and the sound is back to glorious. I remember again now why I was so determined to get a working set. We will see if they keep working and the yokes don't break.

Really hope everything things works out for you. In my case after the replacement headband's yolk broke once again, I gave up and returned them.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #19,225 of 21,175
Still looking for someone who would like to try a 3d printed yoke. Just send me your broken one and I'll send you back a fixed one. It's easy to unscrew the yoke from the headband.
Mine are fine, although the plastic look like dollarama stuff. Could you post a photo of these yokes (or point me to one)?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #19,226 of 21,175
Still looking for someone who would like to try a 3d printed yoke. Just send me your broken one and I'll send you back a fixed one. It's easy to unscrew the yoke from the headband.

I’m interested! I’ll PM you in a bit. I have two broken yokes now :)

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #19,227 of 21,175
After a lot more of experimenting with the parts antdroid sent me I've been able to finish the design. These are almost 1:1 compared to the original but a little bit wider to reduce stress on the plastic. I've added pins to align the two parts while glueing and after sanding and rubbing it with some acetone they are able to get perfectly smooth. I'm going to get some finer sandpaper and finish it off with some more acetone but I wanted to share these pictures for now.

20180317_152740.jpg
Before glueing..

20180317_153553.jpg
After glueing.

20180317_173058.jpg
After sanding for 15 min and rubbing it with acetone for 5 min. (original on top)

If you want the parts to do it yourself I'll ask €10,- plus shipping and handling which can be done in an envelope. This will require you to use some cutting pliers to snip out the metal pivot from your original yoke, do some slight adjustment to the yoke to get it to fit perfectly, glue the two halves together and sand/smooth the parts if wanted.

Check out this post for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...d_version_of_my_he560400i_3d_printed/dwd3n3c/

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #19,228 of 21,175
I'd get the Adorama's recent batches with the bad yokes, and just use @pauldgroot's yoke, and you still got a good performer under $400. I could swear I've seen the HE560 going for $320 on Adorama

If @pauldgroot 's yoke is sturdy enough, I'd take the HE560 over the Sundara to be honest.

Shame on you Hifiman for the joke yoke.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #19,229 of 21,175
After a lot more of experimenting with the parts antdroid sent me I've been able to finish the design. These are almost 1:1 compared to the original but a little bit wider to reduce stress on the plastic. I've added pins to align the two parts while glueing and after sanding and rubbing it with some acetone they are able to get perfectly smooth. I'm going to get some finer sandpaper and finish it off with some more acetone but I wanted to share these pictures for now.

Before glueing..

After glueing.

After sanding for 15 min and rubbing it with acetone for 5 min. (original on top)

If you want the parts to do it yourself I'll ask €10,- plus shipping which can be done in an envelope. This will require you to use some cutting pliers to snip out the metal pivot from your original yoke, do some slight adjustment to the yoke to get it to fit perfectly, glue the two halves together and sand/smooth the parts if wanted. For €17,50,- plus shipping I will do this for you (which I think is cheap considering it's a 1-2h job plus supplies).

Wow, very, very impressive work. That's truly amazing. :thumbsup:

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #19,230 of 21,175
I have a lot of faith in the strenght of this part, I can bend it quite far without fearing it might snap. Like I said, I designed the part to have less stress on it compared to the original which also help.
I'd get the Adorama's recent batches with the bad yokes, and just use @pauldgroot's yoke, and you still got a good performer under $400. I could swear I've seen the HE560 going for $320 on Adorama

If @pauldgroot 's yoke is sturdy enough, I'd take the HE560 over the Sundara to be honest.

I have a lot of faith in the strenght of this part, I can bend it quite far without fearing it might snap opposed to treating the original with a lot of care. Like I said, I designed the part to have less stress on it compared to the original which should also help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back