= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #19,231 of 21,171
I have a lot of faith in the strenght of this part, I can bend it quite far without fearing it might snap. Like I said, I designed the part to have less stress on it compared to the original which also help.

I have a lot of faith in the strenght of this part, I can bend it quite far without fearing it might snap opposed to treating the original with a lot of care. Like I said, I designed the part to have less stress on it compared to the original which should also help.
That sounds promising. The original yoke was brittle(and that was pure stupidity IMO). People will have to have some faith even those that has @antdroid 's melon sized head.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #19,232 of 21,171
That sounds promising. The original yoke was brittle(and that was pure stupidity IMO). People will have to have some faith even those that has @antdroid 's melon sized head.

Haha sometimes I wish my head was the size of a watermelon, but its more like a cantelope.

After a lot more of experimenting with the parts antdroid sent me I've been able to finish the design. These are almost 1:1 compared to the original but a little bit wider to reduce stress on the plastic. I've added pins to align the two parts while glueing and after sanding and rubbing it with some acetone they are able to get perfectly smooth. I'm going to get some finer sandpaper and finish it off with some more acetone but I wanted to share these pictures for now.

These look pretty good! I'm excited to see the results in person! If you post this on reddit /r/headphones, i'm sure you'll be getting a lot of interest for these. They have a daily broken hifiman post nowadays.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #19,234 of 21,171
I'm selling my 560s, they're a set I bought almost 2 years ago. No cracking going on that I'm aware of. They have the newer connections. If any are interested PM me.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #19,235 of 21,171
I'd get the Adorama's recent batches with the bad yokes, and just use @pauldgroot's yoke, and you still got a good performer under $400. I could swear I've seen the HE560 going for $320 on Adorama

If @pauldgroot 's yoke is sturdy enough, I'd take the HE560 over the Sundara to be honest.

Shame on you Hifiman for the joke yoke.
Your comment above pretty much killed my curiosity of getting the Sundara anytime soon, maybe when they drop in price to under $300, sort of how I feel about the HD660S, nice sounding and different enough from HD600/650 but not worth the current asking price.

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #19,236 of 21,171
Your comment above pretty much killed my curiosity of getting the Sundara anytime soon
I second SilverEars' opinion on the Sundara. I am on my 3rd day and about 50hrs of burn in, but I still like my HE-560 a tad more than the Sundara. I though to replace my HE-560 with the Sundara, but no, I'd miss my HE-560 if I return it or sell it. Sundara is a great laid back headphone and I will definitely keep it, but its not an HE-560 replacement. I can understand why some people prefer the Sundara for its soften trebles, its a very engaging headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #19,237 of 21,171
I second SilverEars' opinion on the Sundara. I am on my 3rd day and about 50hrs of burn in, but I still like my HE-560 a tad more than the Sundara. I though to replace my HE-560 with the Sundara, but no, I'd miss my HE-560 if I return it or sell it. Sundara is a great laid back headphone and I will definitely keep it, but its not an HE-560 replacement. I can understand why some people prefer the Sundara for its soften trebles of the Sundara, I like that too.
Would you say the Sundara is like a planar version of the HD650 and the HE560 the planar version of the HD600/660S?

The other thing that is troubling is there seems to be a lot of QC issues with the Sundara, almost like it carried over from the HE560 :confounded:

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #19,238 of 21,171
I've done extensive switching back and forth between the two headphones, and there are some differences I can point out. HE560 likely have more extended bass, and slightly more decay, and therefore softer, but Sundara with harder, more responsive or quicker bass. HE560 is brighter up to in the lower treble, but the Sundara may come off a bit upper-mid lifted for some people sensitive to that area. Sundara sounds faster and sharper or snappier, but HE560 sounds a bit more defined tonally for sounds with better defintion. Therefore, HE560 sounds more refined. Both have slight dip in the mids, but Sundara sounds like there is more of a cut and perhaps more noticeable due to upper-mids being enhanced with it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #19,240 of 21,171
I've done extensive switching back and forth between the two headphones, and there are some differences I can point out. HE560 likely have more extended bass, and slightly more decay, and therefore softer, but Sundara with harder, more responsive or quicker bass. HE560 is brighter up to in the lower treble, but the Sundara may come off a bit upper-mid lifted for some people sensitive to that area. Sundara sounds faster and sharper or snappier, but HE560 sounds a bit more defined tonally for sounds with better defintion. Therefore, HE560 sounds more refined. Both have slight dip in the mids, but Sundara sounds like there is more of a cut and perhaps more noticeable due to upper-mids being enhanced with it.
Are you going to keep the HE560 and Sundara or are they similar enough that you'd only keep one of the 2? For those who have both the HE400i and HE560 (for me it would also include HE400, EL-8 open and LCD-2f) would the Sundara be a good addition that provides enough of a difference from these 2?

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #19,241 of 21,171
For both, are you using stock pads? I used non-stock pads to smooth out the HE560 treble, I wonder if the same can be done with the Sundara

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #19,242 of 21,171
Are you going to keep the HE560 and Sundara or are they similar enough that you'd only keep one of the 2? For those who have both the HE400i and HE560 (for me it would also include HE400, EL-8 open and LCD-2f) would the Sundara be a good addition that provides enough of a difference from these 2?
I won't keep either, but I was interested in Sundara as I'm looking for an all rounder, fun music listening cans that isn't breaking the bank. I would need something that doesn't get peaky in the treble, on the relaxing side, but not dark sounding. I maybe being a bit picky, but Sundara donesn't suit me at the pricepoint. HE560 I like the more refined characteristics, but the lower treble can be a bit bright for me. Ideally, I want something similar to Focal Clear as an all rounder, but it's like $1.5k. Will keep searching. I wish there was a way to audition the Massdrop Focal Elex as if it's 95% of the Clear, I may have gone with it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #19,243 of 21,171
I won't keep either, but I was interested in Sundara as I'm looking for an all rounder, fun music listening cans that isn't breaking the bank. I would need something that doesn't get peaky in the treble, on the relaxing side, but not dark sounding. I maybe being a bit picky, but Sundara donesn't suit me at the pricepoint. HE560 I like the more refined characteristics, but the lower treble can be a bit bright for me. Ideally, I want something similar to Focal Clear as an all rounder, but it's like $1.5k. Will keep searching. I wish there was a way to audition the Massdrop Focal Elex as if it's 95% of the Clear, I may have gone with it.

Have you ever heard the Onkyo A800? Fwiw it's my favorite relaxed listening headphones and for me it gets more usage than the HE560 since they're a nicer change/supplement to the HD800S than I find the HE560 to be. I do really like the HE560 but if I could keep only two headphones (God forbid :wink:) it would be the A800/HD800S.

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #19,244 of 21,171
Have you ever heard the Onkyo A800? Fwiw it's my favorite relaxed listening headphones and for me it gets more usage than the HE560 since they're a nicer change/supplement to the HD800S than I find the HE560 to be. I do really like the HE560 but if I could keep only two headphones (God forbid :wink:) it would be the A800/HD800S.
No, but that 800 number almost brought be treble panick attacks(just exaggeratin) from when I had them. My hand shakes when I hafta make a toll free call.

kidding aside, I'll look into those, thanks for the recommendation. If not good, I will have to curse ya after and spit on the path you walked. :pouting_cat:

I'm kidding of course. :yum:

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #19,245 of 21,171
No, but that 800 number almost brought be treble panick attacks(just exaggeratin) from when I had them. My hand shakes when I hafta make a toll free call.

kidding aside, I'll look into those, thanks for the recommendation. If not good, I will have to curse ya after and spit on the path you walked. :pouting_cat:

I'm kidding of course. :yum:

LOL! No need to worry about treble spikes on the A800 :wink:

As always if you're able to try before you buy I'd strongly recommend it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back