= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #16,801 of 21,171

Thanks guys, I was just thinking about this and I didn't understand his insistence to the other poster on having to prove it, seemed a little childish but since I don't know anything about the person posting its hard to say where they are coming from and what point they are trying to make.

Anyway, back to the HE-560...Got my son's HE-560 now and doing the grill mod for him since he took it before I had a chance to do it.

Lucky son having a dad who likes to mod his headphone for him! My father couldn't care less about music. What a shame.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #16,802 of 21,171
I had my dad listen to the 560 once and he was pretty impressed but not much of a music nerd so he never gave it a second thought.

I might have to try that grill mod still. I think the silk organza would be the right material as I've got two cats and need to keep those drivers protected from rogue hairs.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #16,803 of 21,171
  I had my dad listen to the 560 once and he was pretty impressed but not much of a music nerd so he never gave it a second thought.

I might have to try that grill mod still. I think the silk organza would be the right material as I've got two cats and need to keep those drivers protected from rogue hairs.

The silk organza is great for keeping dog hair out and there are so many colors.  Since the grill material I used has some flat surface I've just sprayed some fabric adhesive on the back of the grill and placed the silk organza down on it, simple clean installation.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #16,807 of 21,171
  my apologies for my earlier comment on taking things to literal.

You have nothing to apologize for mate, I thought you asking for clarification was perfectly reasonable and you were polite so no harm no foul as they say.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #16,809 of 21,171
I hate being sucked into the StanD vortex of amps, I just wanted to compare and contrast the 500/560, I mentioned nothing about power requirements . Sorry for thread derail.

I didn't think you derailed the thread, I was a little curious myself on what StanD was getting at.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #16,810 of 21,171
Both are a good match.

It comes down to preference.

The 560 is much more detailed, bigger soundstage, better "all-rounder " with movies and etc., the 500 is so musically engaging that you will need to take a day or two off work as you rediscover your music collection.

As far as comfort the 560 is light and nimble, the 500 is like a brick on your head, but with some work can be semi-comfortable.

But which one is easier to drive in a portable setup? 

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #16,812 of 21,171
Ask Stan, I just own both, what do I know!

I know what you mean, but technically you don't need to own them as drivability is purely specification dependent (unless a unit is way out of specification) so even if Stan has neither, he could still look at the numbers and know. As I said, I do know where you are coming from, but not to get too invested in the expert thing, but I think even if somebody agrees with Stan or not, it is impossible to not acknowledge his years of relevant background which does qualify him to speak on these subjects. Not to mention, he is an audio enthusiast as well so he does also love the gear.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #16,814 of 21,171
Ask Stan, I just own both, what do I know!

I've played both through a number of amps, even a FiiO E12. I'll admit that if one likes to play loud, the E12 might be a little bit short, however, I suspect that most people do not play music too loudly. Unless the amp is underpowered or not able to drive the headphones in question for other technical reasons, it's the headphones that make the huge difference to what we hear. IMO any good amp has a flat FR and distortion levels below what humans can detect. Thankfully we are well past the days of high distortion levels and cross-over distortion. It's time to find headphones that appeal to one's tastes and enjoy some music.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #16,815 of 21,171
I know what you mean, but technically you don't need to own them as drivability is purely specification dependent (unless a unit is way out of specification) so even if Stan has neither, he could still look at the numbers and know. As I said, I do know where you are coming from, but not to get too invested in the expert thing, but I think even if somebody agrees with Stan or not, it is impossible to not acknowledge his years of relevant background which does qualify him to speak on these subjects. Not to mention, he is an audio enthusiast as well so he does also love the gear.
And my ears/gear have proved him wrong on many occasions, also he has been right on many occasions so I take him with a grain of salt.

Again,I mentioned nothing about amps/power/drivability I simply tried to answer a question as an owner of both about sound characteristics, he can look at numbers, I only make a point of commenting on gear I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back