1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jerg, Mar 25, 2014.
  1. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Lucky son having a dad who likes to mod his headphone for him! My father couldn't care less about music. What a shame.

2. 520RanchBro
    I had my dad listen to the 560 once and he was pretty impressed but not much of a music nerd so he never gave it a second thought.

I might have to try that grill mod still. I think the silk organza would be the right material as I've got two cats and need to keep those drivers protected from rogue hairs.

3. DavidA
    The silk organza is great for keeping dog hair out and there are so many colors.  Since the grill material I used has some flat surface I've just sprayed some fabric adhesive on the back of the grill and placed the silk organza down on it, simple clean installation.

4. StanD
    Yes you interpreted this exactly as I meant.

5. 520RanchBro
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Might work up the effort to do this when I'm less busy.

6. DavidA
    my apologies for my earlier comment on taking things to literal.

7. Sonic Defender Contributor
    You have nothing to apologize for mate, I thought you asking for clarification was perfectly reasonable and you were polite so no harm no foul as they say.

8. Fearless1
    I hate being sucked into the StanD vortex of amps, I just wanted to compare and contrast the 500/560, I mentioned nothing about power requirements . Sorry for thread derail.

9. DavidA
    I didn't think you derailed the thread, I was a little curious myself on what StanD was getting at.

10. AvantCat
    But which one is easier to drive in a portable setup? 

11. Fearless1
    Ask Stan, I just own both, what do I know!

raybone0566 and Turdski like this.
  12. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I know what you mean, but technically you don't need to own them as drivability is purely specification dependent (unless a unit is way out of specification) so even if Stan has neither, he could still look at the numbers and know. As I said, I do know where you are coming from, but not to get too invested in the expert thing, but I think even if somebody agrees with Stan or not, it is impossible to not acknowledge his years of relevant background which does qualify him to speak on these subjects. Not to mention, he is an audio enthusiast as well so he does also love the gear.

13. 520RanchBro
    As discussed at length, they are both pretty much the same with the HE-500 being able to get about 3 dB louder.

StanD likes this.
  14. StanD
    I've played both through a number of amps, even a FiiO E12. I'll admit that if one likes to play loud, the E12 might be a little bit short, however, I suspect that most people do not play music too loudly. Unless the amp is underpowered or not able to drive the headphones in question for other technical reasons, it's the headphones that make the huge difference to what we hear. IMO any good amp has a flat FR and distortion levels below what humans can detect. Thankfully we are well past the days of high distortion levels and cross-over distortion. It's time to find headphones that appeal to one's tastes and enjoy some music.

15. Fearless1
    And my ears/gear have proved him wrong on many occasions, also he has been right on many occasions so I take him with a grain of salt.

Again,I mentioned nothing about amps/power/drivability I simply tried to answer a question as an owner of both about sound characteristics, he can look at numbers, I only make a point of commenting on gear I own.