= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #16,771 of 21,175

Quote:
  Hi friends,

I just got the HE560 and surprise because it came with 6.5mm plug. I intend to replace it with the 3.5mm plug. The other option is upgrade the whole cable which is expensive. So before I mess it up please give some advise:

Does stock cable suck?

Does this cable significant better? http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=200
Is it worth to use DoubleHelix plugs because Switchcraft and Neutrik plugs are a lot cheaper?

Thank you.

The stock cable does not suck IMO, its just not the best feeling cable IMO, instead of modding the stock cable I would just get a good adapter like this:

I had a 2.5m Molecule Elite with Eidolic connectors for my HE-560 and it didn't make any difference in sound compared to a Mogami based cable for 1/4 the price with Neutrik 6.3mm and SMC connectors from Ebay.  I will say that the double helix cable is one of the best looking cables I've had along with a Forza, if money is not a problem go for it but don't have high expectations that the sound will magically improve from the stock cable.

The reason the HE-560 comes with a 6.3mm plug is that not many will use it with portable gear where 3.5mm is more common, and I would not take my HE-560 out due to the hard to drive properly nature of them.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #16,772 of 21,175
  .... but don't have high expectations that the sound will magically improve from the stock cable.

The reason the HE-560 comes with a 6.3mm plug is that not many will use it with portable gear where 3.5mm is more common, and I would not take my HE-560 out due to the hard to drive properly nature of them.

Ditto to above. Absolutely don't expect to hear any significant, or even small change from a cable as DavidA said. And the 560 is not in the slightest meant as a portable, but ultimately if you have an amp with 3.5 and enough juice to run the 560 more power to you, but it is going to take some juice.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #16,773 of 21,175
  Ditto to above. Absolutely don't expect to hear any significant, or even small change from a cable as DavidA said. And the 560 is not in the slightest meant as a portable, but ultimately if you have an amp with 3.5 and enough juice to run the 560 more power to you, but it is going to take some juice.

Yeah, I only got a new cable cuz the stock cable was a tiny bit too long for my taste and because I didn't have an amp with a 1/4" out at the time;  basically, got a new cable purely for non-sound reasons.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #16,774 of 21,175
Not goin to get into the Cables do/don't make a difference, just my experience is different, would recommend auditioning if one can.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #16,775 of 21,175
I don't have amp with 6.5mm at the moment, going to drive it with the Cayin C5 which many people seem satisfied. If the BIG cable does not make any different in sound I just replace the plug then. The Viablue 3.5 look very attractive. 

Other reason as Midgetguy said, stock cable is a bit too long. Let see if I can tolerant it.

@DavidA, the good down size adapter is hard to find and it's cumbersome. I'll replace it with a 3.5mm plug. The good up_size adapter is lot easier to find.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #16,777 of 21,175
I don't have amp with 6.5mm at the moment, going to drive it with the Cayin C5 which many people seem satisfied. If the BIG cable does not make any different in sound I just replace the plug then. The Viablue 3.5 look very attractive. 

Other reason as Midgetguy said, stock cable is a bit too long. Let see if I can tolerant it.

@DavidA
, the good down size adapter is hard to find and it's cumbersome. I'll replace it with a 3.5mm plug. The good up_size adapter is lot easier to find.

I use my HE560 sometimes with the C5. - good match indeed. I use this adapter from Sennheiser:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Adapter-Female-6-3mm-3-5mm/dp/B008JGWY2Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1469905127&sr=8-4&keywords=6.3mm+to+3.5mm+adapter

With the stock cable. Works very well.
Otherwise I usually use the he560 in balanced mode with a great cable from bestintheverse very nice and affordable cables.

Cheers.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #16,778 of 21,175

@DavidA, the good down size adapter is hard to find and it's cumbersome. I'll replace it with a 3.5mm plug. The good up_size adapter is lot easier to find.

I made the adapter, one of the reasons for it being that long is so that when I use it with my phone or Fiio X3 it does not put as much stress on the 3.5mm plug of the device like the plug adapter that @raybone0566 showed.  Just different ways to fix a problem.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #16,779 of 21,175
Thanks @raybone0566 I see that one too but I have no idea about quality. I bought 1 from Guitar Center but it not fit very well to my C5. That and the 1/4" plug itself together they make a huge plug.

@DavidA What kind of Mogani cable you use for your headphone? I'm looking at the W2534. Do you think it suffice? For the price I may make one.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #16,780 of 21,175
  Thanks @raybone0566 I see that one too but I have no idea about quality. I bought 1 from Guitar Center but it not fit very well to my C5. That and the 1/4" plug itself together they make a huge plug.

@DavidA What kind of Mogani cable you use for your headphone? I'm looking at the W2534. Do you think it suffice? For the price I may make one.

The connector in the picture above is actually made using a Canare L-4E6S cable, I also use Canare L-4E5C and Mogami 2893 (mostly for headphone cables and not extensions or adapters)

Using various cables due to size issues with some connectors/jacks and if I want to sleeve them or not, application dependent on which cable I decide to use.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #16,782 of 21,175
hello, does he560 sound similar to he500 or are they completely different?

Completely different.

HE-500 = more neutral than LCD-2 but still more body and fuller mids than HE-560. Beautiful tonality but treble can be a little splashy, though well extended. Pairs best with speaker amps but sounds great out of headamps.

HE-560 = More technically capable, leaner bodied, extremely fast, brighter. Timbre slightly more plasticky than HE-500. Outstanding for classical, tuned more like the HD800. Pairs best with hybrid amps or those on the warm side of neutral. Avoid bright amps unless you're a masochist.

Also, this comparison is covered in the first post of this thread.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #16,783 of 21,175
Completely different.

HE-500 = more neutral than LCD-2 but still more body and fuller mids than HE-560. Beautiful tonality but treble can be a little splashy, though well extended. Pairs best with speaker amps but sounds great out of headamps.

HE-560 = More technically capable, leaner bodied, extremely fast, brighter. Timbre slightly more plasticky than HE-500. Outstanding for classical, tuned more like the HD800. Pairs best with hybrid amps or those on the warm side of neutral. Avoid bright amps unless you're a masochist.

Also, this comparison is covered in the first post of this thread.

I feel like the HD800 is different from the HE560. The main difference being that it feels more involving with most types of music. Very slight v-shape to the HE560 on my SS amp.

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #16,784 of 21,175
I would highly recommend going with the Grado 6.3-3.5mm adapter on Amazon for $15-$20

With the cable instead of straight adapter, you won't be putting a ton of stress on the 3.5m out on your amp. I had the Cayin c5 before and the cable is much better than adapter. Specially if you're going to be plugged in with an adapter while you're moving around.

Is this what your talking about. If it is, they are easily obtainable through ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back