= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 1, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #16,786 of 21,175
Im trying to decide between HE500 and the HE560 to pair up with Mojo. What would be a better match?

Both are a good match.

It comes down to preference.

The 560 is much more detailed, bigger soundstage, better "all-rounder " with movies and etc., the 500 is so musically engaging that you will need to take a day or two off work as you rediscover your music collection.

As far as comfort the 560 is light and nimble, the 500 is like a brick on your head, but with some work can be semi-comfortable.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #16,787 of 21,175
Both are a good match.

It comes down to preference.

The 560 is much more detailed, bigger soundstage, better "all-rounder " with movies and etc., the 500 is so musically engaging that you will need to take a day or two off work as you rediscover your music collection.

As far as comfort the 560 is light and nimble, the 500 is like a brick on your head, but with some work can be semi-comfortable.

500 for me then.It will strictly be for music. Happy listening :)

edit: reading more and more reviews and 560 sounds like a winner just from reading comparisons from different people. I've always liked the HD800's clarity and resolution but always thought it lacked musicality and soul so passed. This sounds like it has much of Senn's 800's strengths with musicality and soul. I am also thinking of picking up Moon audios silver dragon V3 with it since it made a good difference to the Nighthawks. Thank you for the info btw! Picking these 560 up to pair with Mojo. (mind changes so fast lol) Happy listening.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #16,789 of 21,175
Im trying to decide between HE500 and the HE560 to pair up with Mojo. What would be a better match?

You should try listening to both as much of this is a personal preference and you will get diverse opinions. Of course it is not easy to get to listen under proper conditions. IMO amps when properly driven are not the big thing to be concerned with, It's the headphones that matter the most, by far. There are cases of amps like an OTL tube amp (non hybrid) driving a low impedance headphone like the 560, however, that comes under improper use as such amps are not intended to drive headphones like the 560. Of course there are poorly designed amps or poorly manufactured amps, let's not get caught up in that use case, junk is not in the picture.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #16,790 of 21,175
You should try listening to both as much of this is a personal preference and you will get diverse opinions. Of course it is not easy to get to listen under proper conditions. IMO amps when properly driven are not the big thing to be concerned with, It's the headphones that matter the most, by far. There are cases of amps like an OTL tube amp (non hybrid) driving a low impedance headphone like the 560, however, that comes under improper use as such amps are not intended to drive headphones like the 560. Of course there are poorly designed amps or poorly manufactured amps, let's not get caught up in that use case, junk is not in the picture.
The 560 has higher impedance then the 500 and actually is a bit harder to drive. He has the amp, he was asking about the headphones. Both sound great off the Mojo.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #16,791 of 21,175

The 560 has higher impedance then the 500 and actually is a bit harder to drive. He has the amp, he was asking about the headphones. Both sound great off the Mojo.

HE-560: Impedance 45 Ohms
HE-500: Impedance 38 Ohms (has been measured slightly higher on some reviews)
This is not like comparing to a 300 Ohm headphone that would require a larger voltage swing. The differences in impedances for these cans are small. Harder to drive? I don't think so.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #16,792 of 21,175
This is not like comparing to a 300 Ohm headphone that would require a larger voltage swing. The differences in impedances for these cans are small. Harder to drive? I don't think so.
I have both, and an A/B switch volume matched, the 560 is a bit harder to drive, so I think so! BTW my 560 measures at 50 ohm.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #16,793 of 21,175
I have both, and an A/B switch volume matched, the 560 is a bit harder to drive, so I think so! BTW my 560 measures at 50 ohm.

Please explain how the 560 is more difficult to drive. Give us the numbers, that would be appreciated. You might also try comparing that in dB.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #16,794 of 21,175
Please explain how the 560 is more difficult to drive. Give us the numbers, that would be appreciated. You might also try comparing that in dB.
Here is an explanation, plug in the 500 and the volume is higher then plugging in the 560. I measured them 38 ohm on my 500, 50 on my 560. Enough said.

The OP has an amp, that's not what he was asking, but you feel a need to discredit even though I know what my ears tell me.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #16,795 of 21,175

Well the 500 has around a 38 ohm impedance and 89 dB efficiency and the 560 sits at around 45-50 ohms and has 86 dB efficiency.

So I guess the theoretical difference would be around 3 dB, noticeable but not a huge difference. I can't imagine a case where one amp could properly drive the 500 but not the 560.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #16,796 of 21,175
  Well the 500 has around a 38 ohm impedance and 89 dB efficiency and the 560 sits at around 45-50 ohms and has 86 dB efficiency.

So I guess the theoretical difference would be around 3 dB, noticeable but not a huge difference. I can't imagine a case where one amp could properly drive the 500 but not the 560.

Exactly.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #16,797 of 21,175
  Exactly.

Doesn't that mean that the HE-560 is harder to drive than the HE-500 which you stated that it isn't?  It isn't much but by the specs that @520RanchBro and even you noted the HE-560 is harder to drive than the HE-500, or is there some other meaning to your comment

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #16,798 of 21,175
  Doesn't that mean that the HE-560 is harder to drive than the HE-500 which you stated that it isn't?  It isn't much but by the specs that @520RanchBro and even you noted the HE-560 is harder to drive than the HE-500, or is there some other meaning to your comment

I take it StanD means while technically the 560 is harder to drive, in terms of practical significance it isn't, at least that is how I interpret things.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #16,799 of 21,175

I mean it's kind of semantics at that point though isn't it? It's the smallest noticeable amount difference. Technically, yes, harder to drive. Practically, it's hardly a difference that should sway someone from purchasing one or the other.

I'm guessing that's kind of what Stan was getting at.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #16,800 of 21,175
  I take it StanD means while technically the 560 is harder to drive, in terms of practical significance it isn't, at least that is how I interpret things.

I mean it's kind of semantics at that point though isn't it? It's the smallest noticeable amount difference. Technically, yes, harder to drive. Practically, it's hardly a difference that should sway someone from purchasing one or the other.

I'm guessing that's kind of what Stan was getting at.

Thanks guys, I was just thinking about this and I didn't understand his insistence to the other poster on having to prove it, seemed a little childish but since I don't know anything about the person posting its hard to say where they are coming from and what point they are trying to make.

Anyway, back to the HE-560...Got my son's HE-560 now and doing the grill mod for him since he took it before I had a chance to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back