= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 29, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #16,756 of 21,168
  Well I'm part of the current generation (22 and already spending too much on audio gear
tongue.gif
) and I think that the death of brick and mortar audio stores is a sad thing. It's not as bad in NY I guess as it is in the PNW cuz at least you guys had nice audio shops at some point in the past. But the end result is the same: no nearby shops to try out the newest headphones, DACs, or amps. I really wish there was a place to do that, but the best you can possibly do up here is find a Magnolia. Otherwise, I'd have to drive 3 hours up to Canada to try out cans at the Headphone Bar. I managed to go there once, but only had about an hour to speedrun through headphones. Got to try the HE400S while I was there and it's very different from what I expected cuz I have an HE560.

I have purchased a few things from Headphonebar. Is it a nice spot to actually visit in person?

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #16,757 of 21,168
A week ago I heard the 560s through the Cembalo Lab Spring 1 amplifier.  The DAC feeding it was a Sim Audio something or other (sorry, didn't catch which model... was checking out all sorts of stuff at Absolute Audio Video in Calgary before driving back to Vancouver).  It sounded REALLY good.  To me.  It especially sounded good compared to the Ayre Codex, which really wasn't too bad in and of itself.  Cables were standard Cardas with the Codex, and Nordost Heimdall 2 with the class A Spring 1 (fed with Cardas Clear Light interconnects).  I really wish I could have had more time to spend with this amp, and also compare it to other amps.  I've been planning on getting a Mjolnir 2 and finally putting these '75 'HG' Reflectors to work, but after getting a glimpse of what this thing was capable of (in spite of it's super low output power rating), it's made me re-think my game plan.  It is about double the price of the M2, but then, tubes aren't necessary.

EDIT:  I should mention that with the Codex, I had to crank it to at least 85 or higher to be satisfied with some jazz recordings that had a fairly high dynamic range.  With the Spring 1, on the other hand–again, despite it's claimed 130 mW @62 ohms, I didn't have to go very high at all on the dial to reach decent levels.  It was kind of puzzling, actually.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #16,758 of 21,168
  I have purchased a few things from Headphonebar. Is it a nice spot to actually visit in person?

In my experience, definitely.  It's given me the opportunity to hear a wide range of cans, with at least a few different amp/DAC combinations.  Plus, Travis is a good dude and has been very helpful.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #16,759 of 21,168
Isn't there a headphone shop in the UW area? I remember someone mentioning one before. If not we have a meet 4-5x a year and one happens to be tomorrow in Woodinville.

Is there a headphone shop in the area? If you know of it, lemme know
wink.gif
. And I do know about the meet tomorrow, not sure yet if I can make it though. Maybe I can. I'll probably just be floating around with some IEMs if I can make it there.

Very cozy actually. Lots of headphones to try and they've got universal IEMs available as well, but comparatively fewer amps and DACs available to test understandably enough.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #16,760 of 21,168
wink.gif
. And I do know about the meet tomorrow, not sure yet if I can make it though. Maybe I can. I'll probably just be floating around with some IEMs if I can make it there.

If anyone would know it'd be @miceblue

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #16,761 of 21,168
  Well I'm part of the current generation (22 and already spending too much on audio gear
tongue.gif
) and I think that the death of brick and mortar audio stores is a sad thing. It's not as bad in NY I guess as it is in the PNW cuz at least you guys had nice audio shops at some point in the past. But the end result is the same: no nearby shops to try out the newest headphones, DACs, or amps. I really wish there was a place to do that, but the best you can possibly do up here is find a Magnolia. Otherwise, I'd have to drive 3 hours up to Canada to try out cans at the Headphone Bar. I managed to go there once, but only had about an hour to speedrun through headphones. Got to try the HE400S while I was there and it's very different from what I expected cuz I have an HE560.

At least you can drive somewhere, I need to get on a plane
eek.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #16,763 of 21,168
It was on the same block on 48th Street in Manhattan as was Manny's and Sam Ash.
Music Row is history, very sad. Same as the Audio stores that used to be on 45th Street. One could drop and and listen to the latest audio kit. A couple of years ago J&R closed up, I used to work across the street from them and could audition headphones there. J&R said that they were remodeling and opened a small satellite store, only the big store remains closed, kaput.

The big j&r down by the bridge and city hall closed up? Aw, man.
Is b&h still open up wherever it is/was on the west side of midtown?

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #16,764 of 21,168
The big j&r down by the bridge and city hall closed up? Aw, man.
Is b&h still open up wherever it is/was on the west side of midtown?

J&R is kaput.
B&H is still on 34th Street, I've left them with a good helping of my money after leaving with cameras, lenses, tripods, etc. If you know what you want you can be in and out in 15 minutes, even when crowded. It's a well run, well staffed store. the place is huge, they have everything, well not so sure about headphones over the counter.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #16,765 of 21,168
Is there a headphone shop in the area? If you know of it, lemme know :wink: . And I do know about the meet tomorrow, not sure yet if I can make it though. Maybe I can. I'll probably just be floating around with some IEMs if I can make it there.

If anyone would know it'd be @miceblue

Definitive Audio is probably the one place I'd recommend. They have some fancy stuff in there!

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #16,766 of 21,168
Definitive Audio is probably the one place I'd recommend. They have some fancy stuff in there!

Oh yeah! I think I remember reading about that place somewhere in my search, just haven't had a chance to go see what's there. Looks like they have some very high-end stuff there though, especially in the realm of speaker setups.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #16,767 of 21,168
wink.gif

Very cozy actually. Lots of headphones to try and they've got universal IEMs available as well, but comparatively fewer amps and DACs available to test understandably enough.

I wonder if the US dollar advantage actually works out when buying Canada for you? I ask as I assume most gear is more expensive here and enough so that I suspect it must offset the exchange rate advantage. Have you any experience buying at Headphonebar?

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #16,768 of 21,168
  I am very reluctantly selling my grill modded HE-560s (Focus A pads), along with a like-new balanced Draug v2 cable with black & brown sleeving, terminated in 4 pin XLR. I am also throwing a Draug v2 4 pin XLR to 1/4" (6.3mm) adapter for free. The listing is below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815638/fs-hifiman-he-560-balanced-4-pin-xlr-norne-audio-draug-v2-draug-v2-4pin-xlr-to-6-3mm-adapter

I have moved finally to my new house and built a media room complete with speakers and room treatment. Unfortunately, my wife decided that since we have speakers, all fripperies (her word) like headphones and my pristine iBasso DX100 had to go. Sob:frowning2:

I am selling my grill modded HE-560s with the Focus A pads for $550 only. PM if interested. Link to the for sale forum post below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815638/fs-hifiman-he-560-with-grill-mod-focus-a-pads

Regards.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #16,769 of 21,168
  I wonder if the US dollar advantage actually works out when buying Canada for you? I ask as I assume most gear is more expensive here and enough so that I suspect it must offset the exchange rate advantage. Have you any experience buying at Headphonebar?

I think the prices at this point have been offset to account for the exchange rate. No experience buying from there. Only been there once and only had an hour of bliss. Noble K10U aluminum was about $2k canadian though so that sounds about right changing to US$.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #16,770 of 21,168
Hi friends,

I just got the HE560 and surprise because it came with 6.5mm plug. I intend to replace it with the 3.5mm plug. The other option is upgrade the whole cable which is expensive. So before I mess it up please give some advise:

Does stock cable suck?

Does this cable significant better? http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=200
Is it worth to use DoubleHelix plugs because Switchcraft and Neutrik plugs are a lot cheaper?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back