= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #15,586 of 21,171
Even upgrading cable DOES improve the sound...just evaluated a review Dana cable. Without going into detail, it ain't cheat, but improved the sound considerably.

Interesting. If these are the ones you're talking about for $650 to $800 usd http://danacables.com/product/lazuli-hf/

I wonder if buying cables which are as expensive as the headphones is worth the cost?

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #15,587 of 21,171
  Ok, I guess

Right, I didn't pose the question well.

Would you (all) invest in better headphones or a better dac/amp?  Sub question, does the HE 560 have a long way to scale with the Schiit Stack 2 compared to better DAC/AMPs?

For me it would be headphones first as they make the biggest difference, amps second, DAC third, and I wouldn't bother with cables other than length or comfort properties.  A friend had given me 2 nice cables from Forza and Double Helix IIRC, while they are beautiful to look at they made no difference in the sound (to be fair I don't use any stock cables, made from Cardas, Canare, and Mogam cable), ended trading one for a HD-600 and gave the other one back to my friend.

The HE-560 will scale with better gear from the m2/m2 stack but not "WOW" moment to me.

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #15,588 of 21,171
Even upgrading cable DOES improve the sound...just evaluated a review Dana cable. Without going into detail, it ain't cheat, but improved the sound considerably.

Interesting. If these are the ones you're talking about for $650 to $800 usd http://danacables.com/product/lazuli-hf/

I wonder if buying cables which are as expensive as the headphones is worth the cost?

"Worth it" is always a tough call...diminishing returns kicks in at some point for most great, you pay more for smaller improvements as you move up the chain. Is it worth 3+ times more to get the HE-1000 Vs the 560? Are $3K amps 6 times better than $500 ones. I'm sure some will say no way, and that's cool. If money were no object (and it generally is), I'd go for the better stuff, but you can live happily ever after with good sounding value great.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #15,589 of 21,171
Anything over a couple of hundred for cable is just ludicrous imo. Different tolerances for difference performance gains is the name of the game, fortunately for me I'm not too far into the hobby as to think a $500 10' cable is totally worth it. I won't knock it because I know there are gains to be had but the thought of shelling out half a grand on cable just seems crazy to me. The companies selling those $500+ headphone cables will never get my business as imo (and only imo) those companies are vampires.

Sorry if that came on strong, it's just an opinion.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #15,590 of 21,171
So, the HE-560 arrived at my doorstep today. All I can say is Wow! Blows my Audeze lcd 2 rev2 non fazor out of the water for sure. Such natural sound and a very nice soundstage. Great detail and realism aswell. Very light and comfortable! Nice pairing with the Mojo. Gonna try them with another setup tomorrow. I'm in the music, the music is not in me!  
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #15,591 of 21,171
Anything over a couple of hundred for cable is just ludicrous imo. Different tolerances for difference performance gains is the name of the game, fortunately for me I'm not too far into the hobby as to think a $500 10' cable is totally worth it. I won't knock it because I know there are gains to be had but the thought of shelling out half a grand on cable just seems crazy to me. The companies selling those $500+ headphone cables will never get my business as imo (and only imo) those companies are vampires.

Sorry if that came on strong, it's just an opinion.

Well, I'm not pushing $500 cables, happy with the Norne Zoetic for my HEK that is about half that. But, you do get improvememts going from that to the Dana, with heavy diminishing returns kicking in, though (not twice as good, in other words. Costs a lot to get the last bits of improvement).

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #15,592 of 21,171
Totally get you on the improvement and understand the gains/price deal us audio guys are in to pay for when it gets to a certain level.

Then there's the whole snake oil side of the hobby but that's not appropriate in this thread or even forum.

I'd love to hear the 560 with the Dana cable but I will never spend that money on a cable though..I
Well, I'm not pushing $500 cables, happy with the Norne Zoetic for my HEK that is about half that. But, you do get improvememts going from that to the Dana, with heavy diminishing returns kicking in, though (not twice as good, in other words. Costs a lot to get the last bits of improvement).

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #15,593 of 21,171
  So, the HE-560 arrived at my doorstep today. All I can say is Wow! Blows my Audeze lcd 2 rev2 non fazor out of the water for sure. Such natural sound and a very nice soundstage. Great detail and realism aswell. Very light and comfortable! Nice pairing with the Mojo. Gonna try them with another setup tomorrow. I'm in the music, the music is not in me!  
L3000.gif

NIce, I've ordered some and will be here on Thursday and going to pair them with the Mojo
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #15,594 of 21,171
L3000.gif

This is what I always think when I put the HE-560 on ^^

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #15,595 of 21,171
I just received my HE-560s and am loving them. The first thing I noticed was the soundstage; it sounds totally natural. The instrument separation is much better than my Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 ohm. The vocals sound less compressed and more resolved. It sounds like the signer is there with you. The bass slams when called for, but is always accurate. This headphone excels with every genre I've tried (rock, jazz, hip hop, edm, classical).

I'm using a Lake People G109-A amp and it seems to power these effortlessly. It keeps the sound neutral.

I'm so glad I bought these.

Happy Listening!

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #15,596 of 21,171
I just received my HE-560s and am loving them. The first thing I noticed was the soundstage; it sounds totally natural. The instrument separation is much better than my Beyerdynamic DT-880 600 ohm. The vocals sound less compressed and more resolved. It sounds like the signer is there with you. The bass slams when called for, but is always accurate. This headphone excels with every genre I've tried (rock, jazz, hip hop, edm, classical).

I'm using a Lake People G109-A amp and it seems to power these effortlessly. It keeps the sound neutral.

I'm so glad I bought these.

Happy Listening!

Welcome to the club!
These are universal cans, but for me they are better for classical and for... metal (go wonder!) :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #15,598 of 21,171
To me they are at their best with spacious ambient music like David Sylvian projects . Almost jazz but nice psychedelics sliding around. They project very well.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #15,600 of 21,171
After all these years it's still my favorite lp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back