= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 13, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #15,572 of 21,171
  Hi all,

New HE 560 owner here.

So I got mine from Amazon after hearing them at a local store (AC Gears in NYC).  I brought my, at the time, HD 650s and had their entire wall of headphones to look at.

Testing the HD 650s and a few more I noticed a lot more clarity than I was used to.  This was my impression of only the 560s and not the 400i that were there.   Over the last few weeks I've been less thrilled by the 560s and may return them to Amazon.

Has anyone noticed a significant ability to A/B well but a lacking a longer lasting impression?

It's most probably just me, and I'm half afraid to return it because I half-doubt I'll be able to find a better pair.

No. I find that differences are heard to notice at first but emerge over time as brain burn-in occurs. I like my HE-560 more than when I first got it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #15,573 of 21,171
@konceptz, as the other posters mentioned the DAC/amp that you use can make a large or small difference in how the HE-560 sounds.

The HD-650 is warm, forgiving of sub par recording, and a little loose in the bass.  For most of my friends that don't have much experience with better headphones most like the HD-650 better than the HE-560 due to the smoother sound and slightly boosted mid bass.

The HE-560 is closer to neutral, not to forgiving of sub par recording, and the bass is clean and tight.

I use a BH Crack for the HD-650 and either Lyr2 or Ember for the HE-560.  The HE-560 didn't sound to dynamic when I used my Modi/Magni while the HD-650 sounded even worse to me.

If I could only have one headphone it would most likely be the HD-650 with a BH Crack due to the HE-560 being too transparent and not forgiving of sub par recordings, I like classic rock, pop, R&B and other genres from the 60's, 70's and 80's, much of which is not recorded very well.  If my preference were more classical and jazz I would go with the HE-560.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #15,575 of 21,171

Dude, it's too easy - and I unscrewed half the headphone, LOL

Thanks!
For all the pics! Sorry for the confusion, and that you're (perhaps) at work 
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #15,576 of 21,171
  Thanks!
For all the pics! Sorry for the confusion, and that you're (perhaps) at work 
frown.gif

Hey you are welcome, pleasure! 

Yes, here in the Gulf we work Sundays - Friday/Saturday is our weekend.

Cheers.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #15,577 of 21,171
Good point, I'm running a schiit stack 2.

Can you recommend a natural progression?

I've heard the HE560 when I also visited NY. They had it setup on a McIntosh MHA100, which is an amazing piece of $4,500 kit. I've heard it multiple times since, at meet conditions on a Schiit stack consisting of a Lyr 2 on a Bifrost Uber, recently changed to a Bifrost Multibit.

I don't own the HE560 - I own the HE400i and HE1000. And I'd say these generally sound acceptable on Schiit stacks. In my case, the Asgard 2 on Bifrost 4490 and the Ragnarok on Yggdrasil. Unless you're running a Valhalla 2, your stack can be used for HE560. But as SSL443 notes above, the HE560 is unforgiving of subpar music (and setup) while the HD650 is more euphoric. In my opinion, the Asgard 2 will play (i.e. not hurt your ears) but you'll be missing the full soundstage. On HE1000, I find it to be a little claustrophobic. While HE1000 on a Lyr 2 is fine.

(It can be done, but) I personally wouldn't recommend to run HE560 on anything less than Asgard 2, and highly recommend the Lyr 2 as a starting point. Having heard that setup with my own ears on an HE560, it is a significant step up from the of lower cost Schiit stacks.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #15,578 of 21,171
Good point, I'm running a schiit stack 2.

Can you recommend a natural progression?

I would assume the HE-560 might be too fatiguing and harsh to listen on the schiit stack 2. If so, a warmer amp like Gustard H10 is needed. For me H10 still sounds sibilant, so I need to plug in the V5s to listen without EQ for modern recordings. If you are not ready for a change in amp section, I'd advise to try other headphones. There is focus-a pads which I haven't tried, but is reported to tame the upper mid energy.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #15,581 of 21,171
@SSL443
Love the HeartBleed icon reference w/your username.  

@willowbrook
@DavidA
@sheldaze

Wow, thanks for all the comments!

My own experiences are nothing but a match for what you've all mentioned except that I don't find the HE 560 sibilant or even tiring for long sessions.  Actually I'm hoping for a bit more detail and have been looking at the HD800(s).  This is after watching a video from Barnacles on the HD800 specifically the part about ear ringing gun shots while gaming.  I'm lucky to be at a point in my career where I can (justify) spend some moderate cash approaching high end gear.

The main worry for me is, while I don't love the aesthetic of the HE 560, I'm afraid to lose detail going to another headphone.  As I mentioned before, the HD 650, HE 400i, Master and Dynamic MH 40 and the entire VMODA line seem so muffled in comparison.  

So I guess the question is, what am I missing with the SchiIt Stack 2 and the HE 560 that I'll get with a better DAC/AMP or a $1k-$2k set of headphones?

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #15,582 of 21,171
@SSL443

@willowbrook

@DavidA

@sheldaze

Wow, thanks for all the comments!

My own experiences are nothing but a match for what you've all mentioned except that I don't find the HE 560 sibilant or even tiring for long sessions.  Actually I'm hoping for a bit more detail and have been looking at the HD800(s).  This is after watching a video from Barnacles on the HD800 specifically the part about ear ringing gun shots while gaming.  I'm lucky to be at a point in my career where I can (justify) spend some moderate cash approaching high end gear.

The main worry for me is, while I don't love the aesthetic of the HE 560, I'm afraid to lose detail going to another headphone.  As I mentioned before, the HD 650, HE 400i, Master and Dynamic MH 40 and the entire VMODA line seem so muffled in comparison.  

So I guess the question is, what am I missing with the SchiIt Stack 2 and the HE 560 that I'll get with a better DAC/AMP or a $1k-$2k set of headphones?

Getting better cans than HE-560 doesn't mean you don't have to upgrade your schiit stack. I guess it's your call whether to go all in investing in everything or just invest in better dac/amp to get the most of HE560.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #15,583 of 21,171
Ok, I guess
Getting better cans than HE-560 doesn't mean you don't have to upgrade your schiit stack. I guess it's your call whether to go all in investing in everything or just invest in better dac/amp to get the most of HE560.

Right, I didn't pose the question well.

Would you (all) invest in better headphones or a better dac/amp?  Sub question, does the HE 560 have a long way to scale with the Schiit Stack 2 compared to better DAC/AMPs?

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #15,584 of 21,171
Even upgrading cable DOES improve the sound...just evaluated a review Dana cable. Without going into detail, it ain't cheat, but improved the sound considerably.

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #15,585 of 21,171
Those speaker tap adapters are also available from dyson audio on eBay for 28 & 49 bucks respectively. Silver plugs 49, copper plugs 28. You can message them & they'll make you what you want. Pic below

Users who are viewing this thread

Back