= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 7, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #15,256 of 21,175
Since I had kids, my speaker listening had taken a major back seat to headphones. Not sure I'll ever fully recover the speaker habit.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #15,258 of 21,175
doctorjazz said the Liquid Carbon would be good, but balanced, so I assume he either has it, or has heard it with the 560s.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #15,260 of 21,175
Has anyone paired a Liquid Carbon with these?

I have one coming Wednesday, will post thoughts

The pairing with the Liquid Carbon I have found is depended on the quality of the line out source feeding it.  I had my Liquid Carbon paired with the Pulse Infinity and it sound very good but something just wasn't connecting me fully with the music.  That was using the HE-400I, the HE500, HE560 or even the HE6.  I moved the carbon from the Pulse Infinity to my 6-7 year Meridian 808.2i and wow, what a pairing at least so far with the HE6.  

The Liquid Carbon needs a strong fix line out to bring out the best in the headphones.  The LC's ultimate dynamics are tied into the source line into it, at least  it has been for me.  

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #15,261 of 21,175

Search the thread. WhiskeyJack just posted about using the Carbon with the HE560s on the last page. There are quite a few others who have both.

All I can say is that I've bought more music in the last 2 months than in the last 10 years. I am very pleased with my system. I am loathe to make comparisons because I have pretty much nothing to compare. I went from 10+ year old equipment (Audio Technica AD700, Nakamichi AV300) from my motherboard audio chip (Realtek889) to a Schiit Gungnir Multibit, HE560 (Focus-A pads), and a Liquid Carbon in a span of 1 month, all balanced.

The system delivers on every type of musics I throw at it: Synthpop, classical, rock, metal, symphonic metal, JPop, bluegrass, pop, game soundtracks, etc. It's got bass, it's got mids, and for some a touch too much highs. Coming from my background of brighter sound signatures than my friends, I don't find the HE560's as too bright. I enjoy that the sound is similar to the AD700 in tonality, but with BASS! Not bass head bass, but its there and can make my head rumble. And all fairly uncolored and with little distortion.

This is also what I use to game with. I have pretty much hooked all of my sound from 2 computers to run through this chain.

As for the pairing of HE560 to the Liquid Carbon? Sounds fantastic. I am under no delusions that it is the best sound ever. All together, my systems is less than getting an HE1K with enough left over for over a days worth of new music. YMMV.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #15,262 of 21,175

Yes but only shortly. Will do some more listening again this week.

I used the 901 line out withe the LC and the 560 balance via bestintheverse cable.

I loved this combo but will also use the ifi iDSD micro and Burson conductor as DAC.

Cheers.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #15,263 of 21,175

On that subject, if I had to point out one flaw of the HE-560, it would be the slightly uneven upper mid-range. The area from 1-3kHz is just a bit too recessed, while 4-8kHz is just a bit too forward. Not hugely noticable, and not a big deal, though. Just an area where other headphones perform a bit better.

That's the part that is keeping me from ordering so far.  I love the mids of my HD600 and don't want to give them up in an upgrade.  Which other headphones did you have in mind as performing better in that area?

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #15,264 of 21,175
got a Carbon paired up with 560 too..burn in period is really needed for the Carbon..balance connection is the way to go..my source is a DC-1..and I like my set up now really..end game for me..can't splurge too much money on this hobby (600 usd is my ceiling for each unit)..

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #15,265 of 21,175
got a Carbon paired up with 560 too..burn in period is really needed for the Carbon..balance connection is the way to go..my source is a DC-1..and I like my set up now really..end game for me..can't splurge too much money on this hobby (600 usd is my ceiling for each unit)..

That's a very nice setup, man. Enjoy!

I would hope that would be endgame for me too.

May I ask how how you had balanced cables installed on the 560?

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #15,267 of 21,175
This may just be my own ears, but has anyone else found the 4k dip tends to continue on into the high end, with another peak ~11-12k? I wasn't using any EQ at all before, and started to develop some pretty bad fatique. After a lot of tweaking, I ended up with the following, which seems rather extreme, but really takes the edge off. I find things extremely bright now when I turn the eq off. DAC/AMP is Bifrost Uber > Lyr 2 w/ stock tubes.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #15,270 of 21,175
This may just be my own ears, but has anyone else found the 4k dip tends to continue on into the high end, with another peak ~11-12k? I wasn't using any EQ at all before, and started to develop some pretty bad fatique. After a lot of tweaking, I ended up with the following, which seems rather extreme, but really takes the edge off. I find things extremely bright now when I turn the eq off. DAC/AMP is Bifrost Uber > Lyr 2 w/ stock tubes.

Focus pads has a peak around there causing sibilance for me with modern recordings. I had to tone it down by about 2db at 10khz to get rid of it. I'll have to see how it works with H10 today since my setup is finally complete. I hope the long wait will pay off :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back