= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 10, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #15,286 of 21,179
  Just few quick questions if any one could answer.

-Are the pads on HE560 easily removable?
-Are new pads affordable?
-Are new cables affordable?

I am looking to buy some headphones. Was considering HD700 (will try them on weekend) but not sure if I should be crazy and spend even more and get HE560.

-Are the pads on HE560 easily removable?  Yes. 
-Are new pads affordable?  $39
-Are new cables affordable?  It depends.  You can get a nice aftermarket one for ~$60.  They go up from there.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #15,287 of 21,179
  I am looking to buy some headphones. Was considering HD700 (will try them on weekend) but not sure if I should be crazy and spend even more and get HE560.

That all depends on what sound signature you like, I have both and use them for different reasons/genre of music.  The HD-700 is used for watching movies and my GF uses it when she walks our dog.  The HE-560 is used mostly for jazz and classical by me, GF does not care for them, she like the sound signature of the HD-700 better.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #15,288 of 21,179
I bought the HD700 like three months ago over 560s.  I got them because playing games is about 50% of my headphone use.  There are certain aspects of them that are awesome.  Soundstage, imaging, bass even is actually really good.  But for me personally they sounded shrill.  To the point that I couldn't wear them for long periods.  I got told by a bunch of people not to get them and I probably should have listened.

I'm not saying they are bad.  I think maybe with the right set up they are probably great and everyone's ears are different.  At this level of headphone there aren't really any 'bad' options.  But I would seriously try to listen before I bought them.

The 560's on the other hand aren't harsh to me at all.  Slightly boring in a sense but that's kind of what I go for.

I think a decent alternative to the HD 700 is the AKG 712.  Great bass and soundstage as well.  Not quite as micro detailed as either the 700 or 560s but a headphone I enjoyed quite a bit.
  That all depends on what sound signature you like, I have both and use them for different reasons/genre of music.  The HD-700 is used for watching movies and my GF uses it when she walks our dog.  The HE-560 is used mostly for jazz and classical by me, GF does not care for them, she like the sound signature of the HD-700 better.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #15,289 of 21,179
  I bought the HD700 like three months ago over 560s.  I got them because playing games is about 50% of my headphone use.  There are certain aspects of them that are awesome.  Soundstage, imaging, bass even is actually really good.  But for me personally they sounded shrill.  To the point that I couldn't wear them for long periods.  I got told by a bunch of people not to get them and I probably should have listened.

I'm not saying they are bad.  I think maybe with the right set up they are probably great and everyone's ears are different.  At this level of headphone there aren't really any 'bad' options.  But I would seriously try to listen before I bought them.

The 560's on the other hand aren't harsh to me at all.  Slightly boring in a sense but that's kind of what I go for.

I think a decent alternative to the HD 700 is the AKG 712.  Great bass and soundstage as well.  Not quite as micro detailed as either the 700 or 560s but a headphone I enjoyed quite a bit.

Agree that the HD-700 can be bright/harsh depending on your chain, probably why I only use them with Ember/Lyr2/BH Crack, all tube amps that tame the treble.  On my Asgard2 they are to bright even for me, The HE-560 can also be to bright for some but less so than the HD-700.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #15,290 of 21,179
Hey guys, what amps do you guys reckon that brings out the best out of the 560's? 
I already own a Chord Mojo as a dac/amp 
Thanks! 
gs1000.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #15,292 of 21,179
so I've heard the 560s now on a few different occasions (none modded) and usually I walk away like"could have been good...dang" because the upper midrange irritates me a bit. Not saying it will for everyone. Well today I listened to them through a rather modest in size Music Hall PH25.2 tube preamp staged headphone amp and it really smoothed things out enough on this headphone for me to enjoy them. It's only $400 too! If anyone is looking for a great system for a great price, I can't recommend this pairing enough.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #15,293 of 21,179
  Hey guys, what amps do you guys reckon that brings out the best out of the 560's? 
Thanks! 
gs1000.gif

IFI Micro idsd!

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #15,294 of 21,179
Thanks! 
gs1000.gif

Planar headphones love current, so any well designed amplifier that pushes solid, stable current out will do very well. Beyond that, there are signature differences that will work or not with your preferences more or less.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #15,295 of 21,179
Thanks! :gs1000smile:  
Depends on your budget. Violectric amps push lots of juice and are good with planar's. Lots of people like the Gustard h10. Got my carbon today and like what I'm hearing so far. They pop up now & then on the classifieds, but they go quickly

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #15,298 of 21,179
The pleather HIFiMan $20 replacement pads work extremely well with the HE560s.
Added mids and sweetened the treble's a bit.
Cheap but very effective mod.

I second that! Pleather all the way for me as well. Makes the bottom end a bit rounder, more weighty too.

Cheers.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #15,300 of 21,179
Are these the same ones that came on my HE-400?

Not entirely sure. Am in India at the moment, can't compare. But from memory the new ones purchased from hifiman were a bit better quality. But I could be wrong.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back