= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 9, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #15,271 of 21,179
Focus pads has a peak around there causing sibilance for me with modern recordings. I had to tone it down by about 2db at 10khz to get rid of it. I'll have to see how it works with H10 today since my setup is finally complete. I hope the long wait will pay off
smily_headphones1.gif

Was it just 4k and 10k for you? or did you find the range in between a little hot as well?

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #15,272 of 21,179

Was it just 4k and 10k for you? or did you find the range in between a little hot as well?

For me I just found the 10k peak to be sibilant, that hss sound. EQ solved it, others I found it a tad bright, but I never had a problem with it. That was with NFB-11 though, I have to see how it does with modi 2u + h10. nfb-11 dac part tends to add a glare which might have been the problem.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #15,273 of 21,179
  For me I just found the 10k peak to be sibilant, that hss sound. EQ solved it, others I found it a tad bright, but I never had a problem with it. That was with NFB-11 though, I have to see how it does with modi 2u + h10. nfb-11 dac part tends to add a glare which might have been the problem.

I think that the H10 will do a much better job for you than the NFB 11. You are correct about the 11, I bought the Modi 2u that you now have to try to tame the 3K to 5K peak To me, this is what many refer to as a "bright" sound comes from , To do That, at first without changing electronics, I installed the focus A Pads and  did a version of the grill mods. These things helped  smooth things out in that region.  I have played with a few different DACs since. The nH10 with all of them has been far better than any combination I tried with the NFB 11 

Enjoy, and do let me know of what you think when listening to the Modi 2U>H10> HE 560s

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #15,276 of 21,179
  anybody know how to remove that connector out off from HE560, so i can get to see if i can shove a 2.5mm in there?

If you mean the SMC connector in the cup you need to remove the grill and there is a nut holding the SMC connector in place, not that easy to work on, might have to cut/de-solder the wires so you can get a socket over

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #15,277 of 21,179
So I just got my setup complete, Modi 2U>H10 w/ V5 single op-amps>560 and I must say I no longer face sibilance issue. Compared to NFB-11, definitely has more warmth to it creating a sense of a more fully bodied sound. It also retains the detail in the trable, air, and extension on both sides. However, the stock op-amps that come with H10 did not impress me like the V5 singles because it gave me a weird hollow sound at certain frequency creating a muddy concert hall experience. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem. 560 sounds wonderfully neutral and if I have to point out one thing is that although technically 560 is superior than any other headphones or IEMs I've tried, "fun" factor is not the maximum. It feels as if I am hearing everything engineered to sound like, I guess that is the beauty of 560. I will definitely have to try out the focus-a pads now. The recessed 5k~9k isn't so impressive.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #15,279 of 21,179
I wonder why Hifiman switched to the focus pads when a lot of people still prefer the focus-a pads. Just by EQing on foobar2k 5k, 6k3, and 8k by +5db drastically improved enjoyment for me although sometimes prone to sibilance. Should include both pads IMO.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #15,281 of 21,179
  fun fact:
take the earpad off your HE560,  put the headphone on your ear without earpad
Hifiman HE5600 Earspeaker

I have done this actually when switching pads, my wife yelled at me, "turn your speakers down babe". Then She looked over and I got smacked upside the head(after the removal of headphones, my wife has a unique respect for anything expensive). 

I really wonder how good the Magni 2u with the H10 with V5 opamp upgrade. I wanted if it would out punch the NFB28 I have from Audio GD. I am considering getting another amp again to give different signature and flavor to the HE-560 at times, but this is after I get replacement Focus A pads because I have been using the normal Focus pads and though my own ears and head have adjusted to the sound differences I still miss the Focus A.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #15,282 of 21,179
  I have done this actually when switching pads, my wife yelled at me, "turn your speakers down babe". Then She looked over and I got smacked upside the head(after the removal of headphones, my wife has a unique respect for anything expensive). 

I really wonder how good the Magni 2u with the H10 with V5 opamp upgrade. I wanted if it would out punch the NFB28 I have from Audio GD. I am considering getting another amp again to give different signature and flavor to the HE-560 at times, but this is after I get replacement Focus A pads because I have been using the normal Focus pads and though my own ears and head have adjusted to the sound differences I still miss the Focus A.

I face both grills faced down and put the volume up when I don't want to put it on my head, it really is like a speaker. I think focus a pads for me would be perfect, looking to order it soon. More sub-bass~bass response, toned down mids, balanced highs would be perfect.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #15,283 of 21,179
I'm sure it's been done to death, but can someone help sup up Focus vs. Focus A

I have Focus A on right now.  While it is no doubt very accurate and competent, I'm finding the midrange lacking too much. Vocal music back and forth vs the LCD2 is almost no comparison. This also carries for general electronic sounds and most instruments.  I find the extra detail from the added treble almost neglible.  They don't fatigue me, but I don't feel I'm losing something in detail when switching from the hifiman to the lcd2

Will the original focus pads shift this balance towards a more forward midrange?

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #15,284 of 21,179
Is the general consensus that focus-a pads are warmer or brighter? I hear different opinions, some saying it is warmer while others saying it is more neutral. However, I don't hear anything about treble though. If I wanted a more airy and a bit brighter sound to focus pads, how would one achieve that? I am currently using Modi 2U, but would I need something with sabre chip implementation or would focus-a pads do? I had wonderful treble (maybe too hot) with the NFB-11, shame I couldn't get it paired with H10. The combination with H10 would be perfect.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #15,285 of 21,179
Just few quick questions if any one could answer.

-Are the pads on HE560 easily removable?
-Are new pads affordable?
-Are new cables affordable?

I am looking to buy some headphones. Was considering HD700 (will try them on weekend) but not sure if I should be crazy and spend even more and get HE560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back