= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 6, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #15,241 of 21,179
  Yes, I can also comment on Venus Audio's cables build and quality. He is a very cool guy to work with and will basically do whatever you need for your cable if he has it or has the ability to get it. Just have to ask him via message via ebay. I had a after market Sennheiser cable made for my HD600's and I really liked it. 

That is nice to know as my HD600 cable is starting to show it's age and I'll need a replacement fairly soon.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #15,242 of 21,179
Hi guys, I'm new to the Head-Fi Forum and wanted to know, whether this is the right place to ask for a new DAC + Amp combination?

What could you generally recommend for my HE-560? I was looking for a Schiit Lyr 2 + Magni 2. What do you guys think?

I thought I'd spend about 600 USD but am willing to pay more if there are products that cost more with a better value for money.

Thank you in advance :)

Lyr and Magni are both amplifiers. Both should have plenty of power for the HE560, though the Lyr has a little more. Perhaps you meant to type "Modi 2?"

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #15,243 of 21,179
  Hi guys, I'm new to the Head-Fi Forum and wanted to know, whether this is the right place to ask for a new DAC + Amp combination?

What could you generally recommend for my HE-560? I was looking for a Schiit Lyr 2 + Magni 2. What do you guys think?

I thought I'd spend about 600 USD but am willing to pay more if there are products that cost more with a better value for money.

Thank you in advance :)

As @riverlethe noted they are both amps, the Lyr2 works great but you will need to look into the cost of tubes which can be expensive over time.  Another amp I would suggest is the Gustard H10, I heard it a few times but since I have a Lyr2 and a large investment in tubes others didn't recommend me getting it.  I have not heard the Magni2 but have the original Magni which is a decent amp but not a good match for the HE-560.

For a DAC I would look at the new 4490 Bifrost, really good for the price, I have the MB version and am thinking of upgrading my original Bifrost to the 4490 after hearing one, for the price its a better deal IMO.  I also have a Modi2uber which is ok and a pretty good deal for the price but the 4490 Bifrost is a much better deal, it is also upgradable in the future.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #15,244 of 21,179
Lyr and Magni are both amplifiers. Both should have plenty of power for the HE560, though the Lyr has a little more. Perhaps you meant to type "Modi 2?"

I had the original Lyr, and I did not like it one bit with the HE-560, and HE-4. They both felt anemic, and very sharp highs - This was with the original tubes. I am loving IFI micro IDSD, and NFB Amp 1 with the HE - 560

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #15,245 of 21,179
I just got my 560's and they sound great with the Asgard 2.  Enough headroom to blow my brains out.  

Also I gotta say the first thing I noticed with these 560's are how light they are.  Really quite comfortable.  I was kind of nervous about this going in.

I guess this is a planar thing but they are super open as well.  Totally home only type of cans.  They sound amazing though.  Really enjoying them.  No way to describe them other then faaassstt.  Really like the sound.

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #15,246 of 21,179
To me it takes some pretty special tubes in the 1st lyr to compliment the 560. But to me they were just kinda dull together. Gustard gives the 560 better dynamics and weight.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #15,247 of 21,179

Absolutely. I'm sorry, I acutally meant the Modi 2. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my side.
  As @riverlethe noted they are both amps, the Lyr2 works great but you will need to look into the cost of tubes which can be expensive over time.  Another amp I would suggest is the Gustard H10, I heard it a few times but since I have a Lyr2 and a large investment in tubes others didn't recommend me getting it.  I have not heard the Magni2 but have the original Magni which is a decent amp but not a good match for the HE-560.

For a DAC I would look at the new 4490 Bifrost, really good for the price, I have the MB version and am thinking of upgrading my original Bifrost to the 4490 after hearing one, for the price its a better deal IMO.  I also have a Modi2uber which is ok and a pretty good deal for the price but the 4490 Bifrost is a much better deal, it is also upgradable in the future.

That looks interesting indeed. Correct me if I didn't get the point. IThe 4490 Bifrost is an upgrade for the "standard" Bifrost and can be done by myself or Schiit could do the job for me, right? Can I do that on my own? I'm not too sure, whether I'm capable of doing that but I still think that not all of my fingers are thumbs.

What did you mean by "cost of tubes can be expensive over time"?
  I just got my 560's and they sound great with the Asgard 2.  Enough headroom to blow my brains out.  

Also I gotta say the first thing I noticed with these 560's are how light they are.  Really quite comfortable.  I was kind of nervous about this going in.

I guess this is a planar thing but they are super open as well.  Totally home only type of cans.  They sound amazing though.  Really enjoying them.  No way to describe them other then faaassstt.  Really like the sound.

The HE-560 is really comfortable, I agree with you. I came from a beyer COP but for some reason, there was some sort of pressure on my head/ears since I got new glasses. Then the HE-560 was a good excuse for my conscience. :D
To me it takes some pretty special tubes in the 1st lyr to compliment the 560. But to me they were just kinda dull together. Gustard gives the 560 better dynamics and weight.

Okay, I see.

So basically there are several options for me.
DAC: Bifrost (equipped with Bifrost 4490)
AMP: Asgard 2 or the Gustard H10

I've heard lots of good things about the iFi micro iDSD. What do you guys think?

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #15,248 of 21,179
@Orejo, the current Bifrost is the 4490, you can also upgrade the old Bifrost uber version to the 4490 which is what I am thinking of doing, and yes this is something you can do yourself or you can send it in for Schitt to install for you.  The MB version needs to be sent in, or if like me I just bought a new MB version so I currently have 2 Bifrost, one MB and one Uber.

My comment "the cost of tubes can be expensive over time" is that tubes wear out, they say that tubes have a life span of 3000-5000 hours depending on the tube and also the family of tube.  With the Lyr2 the best tube that I have are Telefunken CCa's, currently they are about $250/match pair, I was able to find my 3 sets for a lot less since I bought then all at once so the price was a steal IMO.  Another favorite is the 74-75 Reflector which is going for about $150/pair currently, Vokshod's, Bugle Boys, and Mullard's are also good choices.  But you can also find great tubes for $10/pair as some on the Lyr2 site have found.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #15,249 of 21,179

Absolutely. I'm sorry, I acutally meant the Modi 2. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my side.
That looks interesting indeed. Correct me if I didn't get the point. IThe 4490 Bifrost is an upgrade for the "standard" Bifrost and can be done by myself or Schiit could do the job for me, right? Can I do that on my own? I'm not too sure, whether I'm capable of doing that but I still think that not all of my fingers are thumbs.

What did you mean by "cost of tubes can be expensive over time"?

The HE-560 is really comfortable, I agree with you. I came from a beyer COP but for some reason, there was some sort of pressure on my head/ears since I got new glasses. Then the HE-560 was a good excuse for my conscience. :D

Okay, I see.

So basically there are several options for me.
DAC: Bifrost (equipped with Bifrost 4490)
AMP: Asgard 2 or the Gustard H10

I've heard lots of good things about the iFi micro iDSD. What do you guys think?

I want to mention some other options if you are open too them. First, I agree the Gustard H10 would be a good pairing with a solid DAC, you want a good source for the HE-560 from my own experiences, it brings the best out of the HE-560. I Currently use the Audio GD NFB28, which is a balance unit(with single ended headphone out as well), puts out about 8 watts via balanced into 40ohms I believe. This unit in particular uses a sabre dac very well implemented so that the combo with the Amp and dac is not harsh and has a  very detailed smooth sound with plenty of power for the HE-560. Also, the Project ember, project polaris from Garage 1217(american made, and some fantastic value and great customer care), the Ember is a tube hybrid I believe and the newer version puts out plenty of power. It also has a couple adapters you can get that you pair all different sorts of tubes with, and they do give some change to the sound. It gives you the option of changing the flavour of the signature and adding some warmth. The Project polaris is a very capable, detailed, fast, solid state amp from them. Both are considered top performance for price from majority that have experienced them.  I would give them a shout and can send you the webpage if needed to check them out. The same goes for Audio GD-nfb 28, which is the best mid-fi(450-900) all in one unit I have heard from  as far as amp and DAC pairings. 

EDIT:the NFB 1 Amp that Haris Javed was mentioning above is from Audio GD. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #15,250 of 21,179
I have the wyrd+BF MB + Lyr2 combo into 560. A lttle strident and harsh so I put Amperex 7308's into the lyr2. Really nice combo. Adds a ton of weight to the music and is really addictive.
By contrast with the Ether C I mostly use the Lisst tubes.
Overall I prefer the 560's to the Ethers. If anybody is interested in a neophyte audiophile opinion I'd be happy to go into more depth

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #15,251 of 21,179
I have the wyrd+BF MB + Lyr2 combo into 560. A lttle strident and harsh so I put Amperex 7308's into the lyr2. Really nice combo. Adds a ton of weight to the music and is really addictive.
By contrast with the Ether C I mostly use the Lisst tubes.
Overall I prefer the 560's to the Ethers. If anybody is interested in a neophyte audiophile opinion I'd be happy to go into more depth

Have you tried other tubes besides the Lisst & Amperex?  Is the HE-560 "strident and harsh" with the Lisst installed?

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #15,252 of 21,179
Have you tried other tubes besides the Lisst & Amperex?  Is the HE-560 "strident and harsh" with the Lisst installed?

No other tubes yet. All my gear came in a 2 month span so...
560's sound great with the LISST but I wanted a distinctly different sound for a change of pace. The 7308's take you from the 5th row to the 20th right in front of the soundboard. You not only hear the music trail off behind you but you also feel it. I see a lot of live music and I judge listening against criteria. Most of what I listen to is live so that is my main criteria.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #15,253 of 21,179
No other tubes yet. All my gear came in a 2 month span so...
560's sound great with the LISST but I wanted a distinctly different sound for a change of pace. The 7308's take you from the 5th row to the 20th right in front of the soundboard. You not only hear the music trail off behind you but you also feel it. I see a lot of live music and I judge listening against criteria. Most of what I listen to is live so that is my main criteria.

Love live music, not to much of it these days in Hawaii other than the Hawaiian stuff played in the hotels, there is a jazz club within walking distance from where I live so my GF and her friends go there once a few times a year, not always good but its ok.  I'm actually starting to use my headphones less since I moved to a larger condo where I have my speakers setup in the second bedroom with one pair of speakers in the living room.  Much rather listen to speakers.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #15,254 of 21,179
Love live music, not to much of it these days in Hawaii other than the Hawaiian stuff played in the hotels, there is a jazz club within walking distance from where I live so my GF and her friends go there once a few times a year, not always good but its ok.  I'm actually starting to use my headphones less since I moved to a larger condo where I have my speakers setup in the second bedroom with one pair of speakers in the living room.  Much rather listen to speakers.

No speaker option for me. My house is kid central. In a few more years though

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #15,255 of 21,179
I have had 3 amps that do very nicely with the 560. First one I tried that sounded good was the RSA- HR2, which lead me to appreciate the 560 (had used the Geek Out 1k, before that, sounded edgy, thought I had made a mistake with the 560). In a similar vein, the Liquid Carbon would be a good match (though, you's want to invest in balanced cables for it, sounds it's best balanced. My other 2 are single ended only). The third I've used (and is my amp of choice at the moment), is the MicroZOTL 2, which is a definite upgrade from the other two, albeit at almost twice the price). I'm sure there is no shortage of annoys that will do well with the 560...but you do want to avoid anything with its own peakiness or edginess in the highs (it's all about synergy...the same amp too edgy for the 560 May work wonders with very laid back cans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back