= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 6, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #12,811 of 21,175
I'm excited to welcome back the HE-560 to my rig.  I've been listening with an HD800/Valhalla 2 for quite some time now.. while I love the HD800 (and the V2)..  especially the resolution staging, and layering.. I still missed that unique "ortho sound."  I definitely see the HD800 back in my possession down the road (hell, this was the second time I owned it.. not hard to think there will be a third one!).. but for now, the HE-560 will keep me company.  I plan to pair it with a Geek Pulse Infinity & Liquid Carbon (both pre-ordered).. but I've got my eye on the forthcoming Eddie Current "Black Widow," as well!

May 6, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #12,812 of 21,175
Hmmm...I have LH labs Vi Tube whatever they call it, and the LC coming as well, not familiar with the Black Widow (maybe better off not being familiar, but what the hey), any info?

I'm excited to welcome back the HE-560 to my rig.  I've been listening with an HD800/Valhalla 2 for quite some time now.. while I love the HD800 (and the V2)..  especially the resolution staging, and layering.. I still missed that unique "ortho sound."  I definitely see the HD800 back in my possession down the road (hell, this was the second time I owned it.. not hard to think there will be a third one!).. but for now, the HE-560 will keep me company.  I plan to pair it with a Geek Pulse Infinity & Liquid Carbon (both pre-ordered).. but I've got my eye on the forthcoming Eddie Current "Black Widow," as well!

May 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #12,813 of 21,175

You could always have more than 1 headphone :) I don't think I would have been able to sell the HD800 for the HE-560 however. The HD800 is one of the headphones I've regretted selling a few years ago.

That liquid carbon seems to be getting a lot of positive remarks lately. I wish I had the time to try it out last weekend when I had the chance to.

May 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #12,814 of 21,175
Hmmm...I have LH labs Vi Tube whatever they call it, and the LC coming as well, not familiar with the Black Widow (maybe better off not being familiar, but what the hey), any info?

There's lots of Black Widow information at the unnamed site, including info from an Eddie Current member.

May 6, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #12,815 of 21,175
May 6, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #12,816 of 21,175
OK, found it, looks good, have the Geek stuff coming, the LC, and a MicroZOTL amp for review, think it's time to hold off for a bit, thanks

May 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #12,817 of 21,175
OK, found it, looks good, have the Geek stuff coming, the LC, and a MicroZOTL amp for review, think it's time to hold off for a bit, thanks[/quote d??!

You just need some killer cables to really make things complicated :sunglasses:

May 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #12,818 of 21,175
OK, found it, looks good, have the Geek stuff coming, the LC, and a MicroZOTL amp for review, think it's time to hold off for a bit, thanks[/quote d??!

You just need some killer cables to really make things complicated :sunglasses:

:)

You're absolutely right, of course, hanging my audiophile head in shame :xf_eek:

When the gear settles down, and I think I know (?) what I have for keeps, as we used to say as kids, the cables are the NEXT FRONTIER!!!

May 6, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #12,819 of 21,175
You  know headphones were just okay to very good to my ears. But I never heard a headphone that moved me like my favorite IEMs did. The FAD Pandora VI began to change all of that for me, but still not quite. Then I took a chance on the HE-560 (got a great deal for it and the K3003 at the same time). And now I have to say that the HE-560 is my favorite phone, period (out of headphones and earphones owned). I'm so satisfied. I may step up to the HE-1000 one day, but I'm in no rush. 

May 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #12,820 of 21,175
Does anyone know how to relieve the excessive clamping pressure of HE-560 steel headband by chance? I have HE-400 and they are not pressing my head like a vice, but even after a week of wearing my HE-560 daily, the clamping force is still unchanged. A little uncomfortable sometimes. I tried to stretch it by pulling the cups sideways but the pleather headband insert limits how much you can stretch the steel headband. Any better ideas maybe?

May 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #12,821 of 21,175
  You  know headphones were just okay to very good to my ears. But I never heard a headphone that moved me like my favorite IEMs did. The FAD Pandora VI began to change all of that for me, but still not quite. Then I took a chance on the HE-560 (got a great deal for it and the K3003 at the same time). And now I have to say that the HE-560 is my favorite phone, period (out of headphones and earphones owned). I'm so satisfied. I may step up to the HE-1000 one day, but I'm in no rush. 

Hard not to know where you are coming from there my friend. The 560 in my mind is a fantastic value. I sold mine recently simply to fund trying another sound signature (TH 900) and now I wish I had kept the 560 as well. Fortunately the TH 900 is a solid headphone so the loss isn't as stinging as it could have been had I not ended up loving the new sound signature. 

May 6, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #12,822 of 21,175
  Does anyone know how to relieve the excessive clamping pressure of HE-560 steel headband by chance? I have HE-400 and they are not pressing my head like a vice, but even after a week of wearing my HE-560 daily, the clamping force is still unchanged. A little uncomfortable sometimes. I tried to stretch it by pulling the cups sideways but the pleather headband insert limits how much you can stretch the steel headband. Any better ideas maybe?

There was a member here in this thread who had a terrible time with an HE 400i and he struggled with it, but eventually got the clamp of death solved. Search this thread for clamping force HE 400i and you should find the posts. It went on for a while, but it was solved.

May 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #12,823 of 21,175

There was a member here in this thread who had a terrible time with an HE 400i and he struggled with it, but eventually got the clamp of death solved. Search this thread for clamping force HE 400i and you should find the posts. It went on for a while, but it was solved.

Thanks Sonic.... already searching the forum for the solution. Not sure whether HiFiMan designed these headphones (400i, 560 and etc.) with shrunken heads in mind but for people with normal size heads the spring force is a bit too much.

I think I found a trick that seems to be working (a little though):

For those who may find their headband clamping a bit much, just use some gentle and firm pressure and flex/hold the two 90-degree bends of the spring steel band, and clamp is easily attenuated that way.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread

May 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #12,824 of 21,175
Hard not to know where you are coming from there my friend. The 560 in my mind is a fantastic value. I sold mine recently simply to fund trying another sound signature (TH 900) and now I wish I had kept the 560 as well. Fortunately the TH 900 is a solid headphone so the loss isn't as stinging as it could have been had I not ended up loving the new sound signature. 

@SonicDefender, how do the TH900s compare to the 560s? I have only listened to them briefly at the Meet last September.

I am loving the Grado PS1000, they are the perfect compliment to the planar goodness of the 560. I think my Wife is going to claim the K7XX that I won in Nashville.

May 6, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #12,825 of 21,175
@SonicDefender, how do the TH900s compare to the 560s? I have only listened to them briefly at the Meet last September.

I am loving the Grado PS1000, they are the perfect compliment to the planar goodness of the 560. I think my Wife is going to claim the K7XX that I won in Nashville.

So funny, the women always get what they want don't they? You know, I have to say that I find the highs on the TH 900 very similar to the 560, perhaps a little smoother, but quite close. I will be comparing them head to head during our July meet where a 560 will also be available, but really going by memory I think they are quite similar in terms of extension in both directions. Both are quite agile offering plenty of texture to the sound. I think at least in terms of quantity, the TH 900 would best the 560 on bass, but in terms of quality that is tougher to say from memory. Again, it is quite surprising how while not uber spacious, the 900 has a very nice soundstage for a closed design. I think the 560 had a deeper soundstage and an overall silkier, wetter feel if that makes any sense. From memory I thought the 560 is a more immediately exciting sound, not to be mistaken as fun sounding, while the 560 is closer to reference where the TH is certainly tilted toward fun sounding a little more.

The overall tonal balance feels very similar and my initial reaction is that both offer very much the same degree of detail and nuance. I think where if I had to pick a preference in one facet that is important to me, that being low frequency ability, I would give the nod to the Fostex as it is more competent than I expected. I was expecting more awe and shock bass and I am happy to find it is more in line with the 560 in that while impactful and powerful, it is still well balanced and detailed bass. I will have to say take these impressions with a grain of salt as I hadn't heard my 560s in a little time now. I would also say I don't hear the Fostex as having recessed mids as much as I half-expected to based on other listeners impressions I have read. Certainly everything sound very poised on the Fostex and smooth in the sense of controlled so for instance voices if back in the mix at all are so well portrayed that it is a non-issue for me.

Frankly, I have a harder time judging mids as I think I unconsciously focus on the mid/upper bass notes and transitional treble notes most. I need to do a little brain training where the midrange is concerned. Anyway, both are of course different, but I do feel the overall tonality is quite similar so somebody who liked one, would likely really enjoy the other. I have always wanted to have a TH 900, or in my case, rent one as I'm sure I will sell it after a year. It could be a signature I keep around. I'm hoping the HE 6 successor is affordable to me and different enough from the 560 to make it my next purchase. The Ether does sound very interesting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back