= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 3, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #12,796 of 21,175
I don't want to discourage people interested in these headphones so I find it useful to say mods/material manipulations, parametric eq, etc. only provide slight sound signature changes that may or may not be better for the listener. 

May 4, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #12,797 of 21,175
I have tried every conceivable pad, and some of the mods, and my overall opinion is still the same.
That is why I traded them.
It was either a slight peakiness around 4khz that bothered me or the slight lack in the top octave.
Frequency response graphs from various sources, and my own personal hearing backs up my findings.
Plus certain headphones such as Stax, certain Sennheisers, vintage Beyerdynamic DT990, and even the HE-6 simply have more top end extension past 10 k
Plus they arent as visceral and dynamic as some of the above mentioned cans.
Please dont get me wrong. The HE-560 are a excellent pair of headphones, and did some things exceptionally well, and I miss them sometimes, but their overall signature and slight weaknesses just didnt suit my tastes.
Not trying to start any arguments at all, just stating my own personal opinion.

Yeah it imparts a certain signature that may or may not appeal to someone. There is nothing wrong with that. I think Jerg's review on headfi sort of covered the potential disappointment someone in to the HE-500 sound, for instance, may not appreciate about the HE-560.

I listened to them balanced out for two weeks out of my dad's Oppo HA-1 and was very impressed.

May 4, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #12,798 of 21,175
I do sense visceral impact currently, but only with modern mastered records. 

The headroom is slightly lacking with a lot of my records with more dynamic range.

Curious to see how what the Gustard H10 I'm about to receive will provide new to the audio chain as it is already passed the point of sufficient headroom with the HE-560. 

May 4, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #12,799 of 21,175
I do sense visceral impact currently, but only with modern mastered records. 

The headroom is slightly lacking with a lot of my records with more dynamic range.

Curious to see how what the Gustard H10 I'm about to receive will provide new to the audio chain as it is already passed the point of sufficient headroom with the HE-560. 
Yeah it imparts a certain signature that may or may not appeal to someone. There is nothing wrong with that. I think Jerg's review on headfi sort of covered the potential disappointment someone in to the HE-500 sound, for instance, may not appreciate about the HE-560.

I listened to them balanced out for two weeks out of my dad's Oppo HA-1 and was very impressed.

I've been listening to them for months now Liu. Mahler sounds awesome with my Lyr! :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #12,800 of 21,175
I've been listening to them for months now Liu. Mahler sounds awesome with my Lyr! :wink:

Oh were you the Mahler guy?

I must humbly retract my previous distaste for him as I had an amazing session easier today with his work and have been doing some reading about him too.

Which tubes are your Mahler tubes ?

May 4, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #12,801 of 21,175
Oh were you the Mahler guy?

I must humbly retract my previous distaste for him as I had an amazing session easier today with his work and have been doing some reading about him too.

Which tubes are your Mahler tubes ?

Currently Amperex Pinched waist 1965. These were made in the US. I'm told the Holland made are better. The 1974 and 1975 Reflektors are really nice.
What Mahler did you like?

May 4, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #12,802 of 21,175
Currently Amperex Pinched waist 1965. These were made in the US. I'm told the Holland made are better. The 1974 and 1975 Reflektors are really nice.
What Mahler did you like?

Today I listened to Symphonie Nr. 4. It was rapturous. Any suggestions for my next foray?

May 4, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #12,803 of 21,175
Today I listened to Symphonie Nr. 4. It was rapturous. Any suggestions for my next foray?

If you are anywhere near San Francisco you could hear it live at Davies Symphony Hall. I might! Symphony 1 is lovely. 3 is nice. I love 8. It has a huge chorus and I did not like it much when I first started listening to Mahler.

May 4, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #12,804 of 21,175
If you are anywhere near San Francisco you could hear it live at Davies Symphony Hall. I might! Symphony 1 is lovely. 3 is nice. I love 8. It has a huge chorus and I did not like it much when I first started listening to Mahler.

Okay thank you. I will check out 8 first. Best wishes,

May 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #12,806 of 21,175
There is a noticeable positive difference that a custom silver cable can bring for the HE-560 by adding more air and transparency to the sound. I made a custom silver cable last night for my new HE-560 and it actually exceeded my expectations. I already tried to use silver wiring pretty much everywhere I could do it in my rig but never experimented with silver cabling for headphones thinking that higher voltage (headphones, speakers) may not make a difference there compared to lower voltages used in interconnects, internal wiring, etc. where signal loss and material change is more pronounced. Guess I was wrong :frowning2:

Just posted my new cable experiences here on another thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/3885#post_11569887

May 4, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #12,807 of 21,175
  I don't want to discourage people interested in these headphones so I find it useful to say mods/material manipulations, parametric eq, etc. only provide slight sound signature changes that may or may not be better for the listener. 

Even left completely stock, the 560s are wonderful sounding headphones without a doubt. I miss my babies, but they are now making wonderful music in British Columbia.

May 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #12,808 of 21,175
Okay thank you. I will check out 8 first. Best wishes,

Mahler is great. #3, 5 and 7 do it for me. The Nachtmusik movement (first of two) in #7 is sublime. But the percussion and brass in #3 are incredible with the right system. #1 is also superb, especially the first movement, which resembles a quiet sunrise in the forest. It's my Sunday Morning piece. Enjoy!

If you do complete sets on CD, I would recommend:

Bernstein - Vienna Phil/NY Phil/Royal Concertgebouw
Haitink - Concertgebouw

Bruckner is very good as well, and the set there to hear is Jochum/Dresden Staatskapelle and Haitink/Concertgebouw Amsterdam.

Good luck.

May 5, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #12,809 of 21,175
I haven't spent the last 8 years kicking around these forums to  not understand what you said is true. I also joined this thread within the first couple of pages. I well know how many people rave about the 560. It doesn't much matter to me. What I hear is what is important to me. Just reporting what I have heard, what I have done, and disappointment that the 560 did not live up to the hype... for me, out of the box. So, not sure what your point was??

Get a Norne Audio Draug 2, several Folks preferred my 560s, with the Focus A, grill mod, and Draug 2 to the HE6 and Ether at the Nashville meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back