= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #12,781 of 21,175
There are people that think the 560's don't have enough treble? That's the first thime I heard such a thing. The 560's aren't super bright, but they are not even close to being dark. If anything it's biggest problems are due to it's certain treble spike.

I know others on here will totally disagree with me about this, but, I did personally find them somewhat rolled off on the very top end, above 10khz, compared to some of my other headphones that I used to own, and sounded somewhat truncated in top octave air and extension compared to headphones with full treble extension in the top octave, such as the Sennheiser HD800/600/540 Reference II , Hifiman HE-6, Beyer DT880, Stax Lambda Signature, etc., due to this.
Look at the frequency response graphs on such sites as innerfidelity, etc.,among others.
Fortunately for me, I can actually still hear 18khz test tones on the Stereophile test cd.
Otherwise the HE-560 had more than enough treble, especially around 4khz.
The HE-500 actually has more energy at and above 10khz than the HE-560, but the treble is cleaner, smoother, and more detailed on the HE-560 below 10khz.
Don't get me wrong. I really loved the HE-560, and their many strengths, and I do miss them sometimes, but in the end, the 4khz peak, and the slight lack of top octave air, made me decide to trade them for the HE-6.
YMMV.

May 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #12,782 of 21,175
  There are people that think the 560's don't have enough treble? That's the first thime I heard such a thing. The 560's aren't super bright, but they are not even close to being dark. If anything it's biggest problems are due to it's certain treble spike.

I think generally if people have issues with the HE-560, it is usually due to too much treble. Unless you are coming from a brighter pair of headphones like the HD800 like the poster above. We all have different personal expectations on what consists of neutral, so can get a lot of variations in tastes here hahha :)

May 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12,783 of 21,175
  I think generally if people have issues with the HE-560, it is usually due to too much treble. Unless you are coming from a brighter pair of headphones like the HD800 like the poster above. We all have different personal expectations on what consists of neutral, so can get a lot of variations in tastes here hahha :)

True, though technically he's talking more about treble extension rather than treble quantity. There are a few headphones I heard that had great extension but not enough quantity. Like the akg 271's bass for example. I don't think anyone will call the 560's not bright enough. 

May 3, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #12,784 of 21,175
True, though technically he's talking more about treble extension rather than treble quantity. The are a few headphone I heard that had great extension but not enough quantity. Like the akg 271's bass for example. I don't think anyone will call the 560's not bright enough. 

You are correct.
They have plenty of treble energy up to slightly above 10khz, but they fall off quite abit after that.
To my ears that last bit of top octave air, sparkle, and shimmer is almost completely missing in action on the HE-560 compared to the above mentioned headphones.
Otherwise the rest of the treble is very detailed and present.
Just my 2 cents.

May 3, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #12,785 of 21,175
You are correct.
They have plenty of treble energy up to slightly above 10khz, but they fall off quite abit after that.
To my ears that last bit of top octave air, sparkle, and shimmer is almost completely missing in action on the HE-560 compared to the above mentioned headphones.
Otherwise the rest of the treble is very detailed and present.
Just my 2 cents.

That's why I'm kinda interested in bill-p's mod, which supposedly extends the treble. Has he posted the mod yet?

May 3, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #12,786 of 21,175
That's why I'm kinda interested in bill-p's mod, which supposedly extends the treble. Has he posted the mod yet?

Not that I am aware of.

May 3, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #12,787 of 21,175
  True, though technically he's talking more about treble extension rather than treble quantity. There are a few headphones I heard that had great extension but not enough quantity. Like the akg 271's bass for example. I don't think anyone will call the 560's not bright enough. 

if he is referring to technical ability of the he-560 to reproduce 10kHz+ (treble extension), the he-560's treble easily extends out to at least 18kHz (which is my upper level treble sensitivity) with test tones.

if he is talking about the differing amounts of emphasis throughout the treble region (quantity), it is easy to test the linearity of the treble extension with a compensated sine sweep for your own ears.

I disagree with some of the statements made here, but understand that everyone hears differently and has different preferences. However, the HE-560 is more than capable of reproducing notes well into the upper audible range of the treble. If you find that the amount of emphasis in the upper treble range doesn't fit your personal tastes, that is totally fine.

May 3, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #12,788 of 21,175

The focus pads make a better overall seal compared to velour pads, therefore the mids and the bass are better accentuated with them that makes some air and transparency 'disappear' in my opinion. As mentioned earlier, I tried to swap focus pads for velour ones and the sound changed drastically, there was lots of treble and air in the music but the voices started sounding kind of distant and thinner, it lost the richness lushness and buttery feel that exists with the focus pads. I prefer the latter but tastes differ. Those who like extra presence and highs - may consider switching to different pads maybe.

May 3, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #12,789 of 21,175
I have tried every conceivable pad, and some of the mods, and my overall opinion is still the same.
That is why I traded them.
It was either a slight peakiness around 4khz that bothered me or the slight lack in the top octave.
Frequency response graphs from various sources, and my own personal hearing backs up my findings.
Plus certain headphones such as Stax, certain Sennheisers, vintage Beyerdynamic DT990, and even the HE-6 simply have more top end extension past 10 k
Plus they arent as visceral and dynamic as some of the above mentioned cans.
Please dont get me wrong. The HE-560 are a excellent pair of headphones, and did some things exceptionally well, and I miss them sometimes, but their overall signature and slight weaknesses just didnt suit my tastes.
Not trying to start any arguments at all, just stating my own personal opinion.

May 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #12,790 of 21,175
I was bothered by peakiness at first, but changing to a different amp (Ray Samuels HR-2) cured it.

May 3, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #12,791 of 21,175
Agreed, the associated audio chain is very relevant too. There is no way I'd call the HE-560 bright from mine. The FR shows a a slight bump at about 6khz but to my ears there's audibly not enough to even remotely call it aggressive.

And I don't notice any sibilance from the prominent ~4khz bump either. Too much of it would translate into sibilance or attack and I don't think the HE-560 can be associated with any of those words.

Plus, that would bring about listener fatigue, and I could listen to these all day with no discomfort.  

I'm interested to hear for myself how the H10 I'm awaiting pairs with it.

May 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #12,792 of 21,175

Not considering the FR graphs, but just what I hear, the emphasis in the upper midrange/lower treble make the signature just sound off to me. Cymbals lost their clang and there is an emphasis on the upper ranges of voices that just seems off to me. I think these phones have lots going for them. Speed, detail, and very articulate bass. The thing that people say about hearing micro-details that they have not heard ... I found that true of the 560 as well.

The were enough off that I felt I needed to do...something. At some point, as time permits I want to try all of the Jerg mods. So far I got the Focus A pads and did the grill mod with a very open mesh screen. I also have been listening to them with hybrid amps (Project Sunrise III and Ember). Using the right tubes, with the other items have made a significant difference. Playing with a parametric EQ and bringing down 3.5 to 4K and boosting 2K has also helped.. for me.
Now I get to enjoy the other benefits of the 560 without it sounding unnatural...again to me.

It is a shame to get headphones of this class and feel that they have to be played with to make them sound good. I am happy to have read some other people writing and saying similar things. So I guess it is not just me, but the changes that I have made to date surely have made the 560s much nicer to listen to. I look forward to trying a few more things to see if I can get them even closer to my perfect level of sound.

May 3, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #12,793 of 21,175
Not considering the FR graphs, but just what I hear, the emphasis in the upper midrange/lower treble make the signature just sound off to me. Cymbals lost their clang and there is an emphasis on the upper ranges of voices that just seems off to me. I think these phones have lots going for them. Speed, detail, and very articulate bass. The thing that people say about hearing micro-details that they have not heard ... I found that true of the 560 as well.

The were enough off that I felt I needed to do...something. At some point, as time permits I want to try all of the Jerg mods. So far I got the Focus A pads and did the grill mod with a very open mesh screen. I also have been listening to them with hybrid amps (Project Sunrise III and Ember). Using the right tubes, with the other items have made a significant difference. Playing with a parametric EQ and bringing down 3.5 to 4K and boosting 2K has also helped.. for me.
Now I get to enjoy the other benefits of the 560 without it sounding unnatural...again to me.

It is a shame to get headphones of this class and feel that they have to be played with to make them sound good. I am happy to have read some other people writing and saying similar things. So I guess it is not just me, but the changes that I have made to date surely have made the 560s much nicer to listen to. I look forward to trying a few more things to see if I can get them even closer to my perfect level of sound.

+1
They sounded somewhat off to me too, even though they did excel in certain areas. Maybe I should have been alittle more patient with them though. They did certain things really well.

May 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #12,794 of 21,175

People have issues with every headphone regardless of price range. This includes HE-6, LCD-X, SR-007, SR-009, etc so playing around with a headphone from mods or EQ is not specific to this headphone. There's always some kind of trade off. With the HE-560 it has more positive aspects than negative and generally has good feedback from owners

May 3, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #12,795 of 21,175

People have issues with every headphone regardless of price range. This includes HE-6, LCD-X, SR-007, SR-009, etc so playing around with a headphone from mods or EQ is not specific to this headphone. There's always some kind of trade off. With the HE-560 it has more positive aspects than negative and generally has good feedback from owners

I haven't spent the last 8 years kicking around these forums to  not understand what you said is true. I also joined this thread within the first couple of pages. I well know how many people rave about the 560. It doesn't much matter to me. What I hear is what is important to me. Just reporting what I have heard, what I have done, and disappointment that the 560 did not live up to the hype... for me, out of the box. So, not sure what your point was??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back