= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #12,826 of 21,175
@SonicDefender, how do the TH900s compare to the 560s? I have only listened to them briefly at the Meet last September.

I am loving the Grado PS1000, they are the perfect compliment to the planar goodness of the 560. I think my Wife is going to claim the K7XX that I won in Nashville.

I will have to try a PS1000. I started out here as a Grado user (SR 125, 225i, HF2) before moving into beyerdynamics for a time. I was always curious about the PS1000. Glad to know you are enjoying it, that bodes well as we seem to have similar preferences. Hey, I meant to make a musical suggestion for you. I know you like quality gunslinger guitar rock as I call it. If you haven't heard Triumph, a somewhat obscure and long gone Canadian band I HIGHLY recommend their debut self titled album. It has been re-mastered and reissued as In The Beginning but it is well worth checking out. Listening to it now I realize while it has a deceptively flatter sound, it was actually well recorded, plus the musical content was stellar.

May 6, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #12,827 of 21,175

So funny, the women always get what they want don't they? You know, I have to say that I find the highs on the TH 900 very similar to the 560, perhaps a little smoother, but quite close. I will be comparing them head to head during our July meet where a 560 will also be available, but really going by memory I think they are quite similar in terms of extension in both directions. Both are quite agile offering plenty of texture to the sound. I think at least in terms of quantity, the TH 900 would best the 560 on bass, but in terms of quality that is tougher to say from memory. Again, it is quite surprising how while not uber spacious, the 900 has a very nice soundstage for a closed design. I think the 560 had a deeper soundstage and an overall silkier, wetter feel if that makes any sense. From memory I thought the 560 is a more immediately exciting sound, not to be mistaken as fun sounding, while the 560 is closer to reference where the TH is certainly tilted toward fun sounding a little more.

The overall tonal balance feels very similar and my initial reaction is that both offer very much the same degree of detail and nuance. I think where if I had to pick a preference in one facet that is important to me, that being low frequency ability, I would give the nod to the Fostex as it is more competent than I expected. I was expecting more awe and shock bass and I am happy to find it is more in line with the 560 in that while impactful and powerful, it is still well balanced and detailed bass. I will have to say take these impressions with a grain of salt as I hadn't heard my 560s in a little time now. I would also say I don't hear the Fostex as having recessed mids as much as I half-expected to based on other listeners impressions I have read. Certainly everything sound very poised on the Fostex and smooth in the sense of controlled so for instance voices if back in the mix at all are so well portrayed that it is a non-issue for me.

Frankly, I have a harder time judging mids as I think I unconsciously focus on the mid/upper bass notes and transitional treble notes most. I need to do a little brain training where the midrange is concerned. Anyway, both are of course different, but I do feel the overall tonality is quite similar so somebody who liked one, would likely really enjoy the other. I have always wanted to have a TH 900, or in my case, rent one as I'm sure I will sell it after a year. It could be a signature I keep around. I'm hoping the HE 6 successor is affordable to me and different enough from the 560 to make it my next purchase. The Ether does sound very interesting as well.

Thanks for the detailed write up, will have to try to listen to the Fostexs again, I think the Grado is giving me that slightly different reference perspective. Not as "organic" as the 560, but greater clarity, slightly better soundstage, but the bass on the 560 is superior as well as a "rich" sound. They really do complement each other well, and both sound awesome on my Lyr 2 with the Voskhod, Amperex or Valvos! Cheers, sorry about the Senators, Panthers didn't make it out of the first round either.

May 6, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #12,828 of 21,175

I will have to try a PS1000. I started out here as a Grado user (SR 125, 225i, HF2) before moving into beyerdynamics for a time. I was always curious about the PS1000. Glad to know you are enjoying it, that bodes well as we seem to have similar preferences. Hey, I meant to make a musical suggestion for you. I know you like quality gunslinger guitar rock as I call it. If you haven't heard Triumph, a somewhat obscure and long gone Canadian band I HIGHLY recommend their debut self titled album. It has been re-mastered and reissued as In The Beginning but it is well worth checking out. Listening to it now I realize while it has a deceptively flatter sound, it was actually well recorded, plus the musical content was stellar.

I do enjoy a serious guitar player, though @jaywillin is the Connoisseur, remember Triumph from my youth "ute to those in Jersey", will give them a listen on Tidal.

The K7XXs are really quite good, especially at their price.  

May 6, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #12,829 of 21,175
As for the women getting "canned" (ouch), my wife claimed my Senn Momentum, and my teen daughter claimed my Philips Fidelio X1...can't complain, though, considering all the other audio damage I've done, lol!

May 6, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #12,830 of 21,175
As for the women getting "canned" (ouch), my wife claimed my Senn Momentum, and my teen daughter claimed my Philips Fidelio X1...can't complain, though, considering all the other audio damage I've done, lol!

I am just thankful she doesn't realize her iPhone will drive the Grados
eek.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #12,831 of 21,175

Hard not to know where you are coming from there my friend. The 560 in my mind is a fantastic value. I sold mine recently simply to fund trying another sound signature (TH 900) and now I wish I had kept the 560 as well. Fortunately the TH 900 is a solid headphone so the loss isn't as stinging as it could have been had I not ended up loving the new sound signature. 

beerchug.gif

May 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #12,832 of 21,175

Thanks for the detailed write up, will have to try to listen to the Fostexs again, I think the Grado is giving me that slightly different reference perspective. Not as "organic" as the 560, but greater clarity, slightly better soundstage, but the bass on the 560 is superior as well as a "rich" sound. They really do complement each other well, and both sound awesome on my Lyr 2 with the Voskhod, Amperex or Valvos! Cheers, sorry about the Senators, Panthers didn't make it out of the first round either.

First round exits always suck. It was odd because even Montreal fans seem aware that overall Ottawa outplayed Montreal. I didn't get to see much of the Nashville series, but I was quite surprised they lost. First round upsets are not exactly uncommon are they? I'm surprised to hear that about the Grado. I constantly hear reference to how over-priced it was (but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't sound excellent).

May 6, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #12,833 of 21,175
Oh, I do think the retail price was/is to high on the PS1000, though personally I prefer them to the HD800, LCD X, XC, & 3. I would love to hear them recabled with the Draug 2 or SolvX!

May 6, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #12,834 of 21,175
@SonicDefender, how do the TH900s compare to the 560s? I have only listened to them briefly at the Meet last September.

I am loving the Grado PS1000, they are the perfect compliment to the planar goodness of the 560. I think my Wife is going to claim the K7XX that I won in Nashville.

I actually own both the (jerg-modded) HE-560 and the TH900, and here are my brief comparisons:

Bass: TH900 has more quantity, but HE-560 has more slam and extends a little deeper. TH900 has a bit of boomy bass overhang sometimes that works well on some music but not others.
Mids: TH900 is indeed not as recessed as I thought they would be. HE-560's mids are a little more in line with the other frequencies and sound more realistic.
Treble: TH900's treble is smooth, refined, and non-fatiguing (after burn-in). However, I feel like the HE-560 treble just sounds more realistic and involving.

Overall they're both great cans and I really enjoy listening to both. The TH900 is comfortable, have a great, non-fatiguing, fun yet detailed sound signature that I very much enjoy. The HE-560 edges it out in resolution and realism, but lacks the same engagement factor as the TH900 on some types of music (e.g. pop, electronic, hip-hop).

Hope that helps!

May 7, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #12,835 of 21,175

I actually own both the (jerg-modded) HE-560 and the TH900, and here are my brief comparisons:

Bass: TH900 has more quantity, but HE-560 has more slam and extends a little deeper. TH900 has a bit of boomy bass overhang sometimes that works well on some music but not others.
Mids: TH900 is indeed not as recessed as I thought they would be. HE-560's mids are a little more in line with the other frequencies and sound more realistic.
Treble: TH900's treble is smooth, refined, and non-fatiguing (after burn-in). However, I feel like the HE-560 treble just sounds more realistic and involving.

Overall they're both great cans and I really enjoy listening to both. The TH900 is comfortable, have a great, non-fatiguing, fun yet detailed sound signature that I very much enjoy. The HE-560 edges it out in resolution and realism, but lacks the same engagement factor as the TH900 on some types of music (e.g. pop, electronic, hip-hop).

Hope that helps!

I also own both and willing to put my 5 cents. 

TH900 is more fun and bright. And more suitable for electronics, pop. But instrumentals (jazz, rock) are also nice but sometimes annoyoing (bright). TH900 gives more resolution and deep sound and provides more details. HE560 are smooth, more neutral, but gives weighted and full body sound as well. I woul say that HE560 - allrounders and very comofortable for long listening, TH900 are more bright and fun and gives 100% emotions of the song but not for long listening. HE 560 need 2-3x times more power to be driven. 

Its my IMO and corresponds to my equioment.  I believe if you have less resolutive/smooth DAC or more smooth amp TH900 could be comfortable for long listening as well as HE560. 

May 7, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #12,836 of 21,175
Hi folks,

I just pulled the trigger on a new HE-560 with my dealer. I want to complement my LCD-2.2.

Is the stock cable a silver/copper hybrid or pure copper? And is it worth upgrading the cable?
I'm not a fan of after-market HP cables. I likely will get the stock cable reterminated to a 4p-XLR for my BHA-1, eventually.
I want to maintain the relative neutrality of the 560. Haven't heard it yet, but I think it's more neutral than LCD-2.2.

May 7, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #12,837 of 21,175
  Hi folks,

I just pulled the trigger on a new HE-560 with my dealer. I want to complement my LCD-2.2.

Is the stock cable a silver/copper hybrid or pure copper? And is it worth upgrading the cable?
I'm not a fan of after-market HP cables. I likely will get the stock cable reterminated to a 4p-XLR for my BHA-1, eventually.
I want to maintain the relative neutrality of the 560. Haven't heard it yet, but I think it's more neutral than LCD-2.2.

Im planning to get LCD2.2F to complete my set with HE560, TH900. I have compared HE560 and LCD2.2F. So I needed to get neutral allrounders for bright genres, rock and femail focal. TH900 a little annoying here. 

So I tested LCD2.2F and HE560. Got 560 since they are more plain, neutral. Whereas LCD2.2F was more forward and significantly more BOLD/BASS sounding. But the treble was also not smooth/plain and somtimes beats my ears. 

I was recommendeed Litz Cu cable for HE560 (next upgrade) to emphasize bass and weight. But they sounds good straight out of the box. 

May 7, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #12,838 of 21,175
Gibalok: That's what I thought - good outta the box. I won't mess with cabling for a while. I have decent sources and amps to drive this beast.
About 2 wks ETA for my 560. Thanks.

May 7, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #12,839 of 21,175
  Gibalok: That's what I thought - good outta the box. I won't mess with cabling for a while. I have decent sources and amps to drive this beast.
About 2 wks ETA for my 560. Thanks.

The only reason you can play cable games is to terminate with XLRs for your Bryston. HE560 needs 2x more power than LCD2 so since XLR typically 2x more powerfull (am I right?) you con win here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back