= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #826 of 21,171
  Frank said he will soon publish his comprehensive writeup with HE560 and how it matches against competitive planars/cans in general, I think that'll quench the thirst for everyone for a little while.

Perfect. Looking forward to Frank's review. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #828 of 21,171
  Frank said he will soon publish his comprehensive writeup with HE560 and how it matches against competitive planars/cans in general, I think that'll quench the thirst for everyone for a little while.

It's difficult to draw conclusions from pre-release headphones that might still change from the production version. Its difficult to figure out what will pop out at the end and once we start comparing modded to modded headphones then all bets are off. 

Personally I attach more value to impressions from owners who purchased the headphones. Spending one's hard earned money makes you more critical of the gear you purchase which is usually worth waiting a couple of months. I waited a couple of months with the LCD-X for this reason and I would feel quite comfortable with buying them now with the information that is available.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #829 of 21,171
  Should I buy one then if I already have HE500?

Yes, you should, and after ~50 hours, you should realize they're just not for you, and then PM me with a nice offer 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #831 of 21,171
im particularly curious about some of the treble qualities of the he-560 vs he-400/he-6. The he-400 has a distinct tizz that can be reduced with jergpads and proper amping, but it is still there nontheless. The he-6 is reported to have it when not amped properly, and the he-500 has it but to a notably less degree than the previous 2.

This really requires comparing the he-560 to a non-tizzy phone like a sennheiser hd6xx, maybe even the he-500. I'm just curious with the more present treble, does the he-560 retain much of the "tizz" or is the timbre a bit more natural than the other hifiman's? Not sure if Jerg or Edwood or anyone else who has actually heard the hp can note on the treble qualities, particularly "spikes" that may become more problematic at loud volumes as well as overall tone and timbre, specifically the tizzy quality of the hifiman line.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #832 of 21,171
im particularly curious about some of the treble qualities of the he-560 vs he-400/he-6. The he-400 has a distinct tizz that can be reduced with jergpads and proper amping, but it is still there nontheless. The he-6 is reported to have it when not amped properly, and the he-500 has it but to a notably less degree than the previous 2.

This really requires comparing the he-560 to a non-tizzy phone like a sennheiser hd6xx, maybe even the he-500. I'm just curious with the more present treble, does the he-560 retain much of the "tizz" or is the timbre a bit more natural than the other hifiman's? Not sure if Jerg or Edwood or anyone else who has actually heard the hp can note on the treble qualities, particularly "spikes" that may become more problematic at loud volumes as well as overall tone and timbre, specifically the tizzy quality of the hifiman line.

HiFiMAN tizzy? That's news to me!
I always thought HiFiMAN treble is just well extended, too much extension/brightness possibly but tizzy?
I owned the HE-6 and it never exhibited such traits...

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #833 of 21,171
I always thought HiFiMAN treble is just well extended, too much extension/brightness possibly but tizzy?

HE400 is quite tizzy, partly because of the 10k~13kHz emphasis, but also because of the depression in the upper mids / lower treble which further accentuates the tizz.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #834 of 21,171
  HE400 is quite tizzy, partly because of the 10k~13kHz emphasis, but also because of the depression in the upper mids / lower treble which further accentuates the tizz.

Yes this was my main problem with the HE400. The depression is anything but marginal and that emphasis really sticks out. Listening to jazz, you're kind of confused at the attenuation of what you should be hearing and further annoyed by many of the cymbal and brass harmonics striking at you with biting attack. A bit of a genre picky headphone I would say, at least as stock.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #835 of 21,171

I wanted to point the HE-400 as the odd-one-out possibly :]

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #836 of 21,171

The He-6 has a lot more mid treble than the He-500, they also a have bit more 14 K. The He-6 has one of the most perculiar mid treble humps I've ever seen, 5-10 K sticks out like a shard of broken glass. It's an absolute wonder how the He-6's aren't sibilant or thin sounding.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #837 of 21,171
The He-6 has a lot more mid treble than the He-500, they also a have bit more 14 K. The He-6 has one of the most perculiar mid treble humps I've ever seen, 5-10 K sticks out like a shard of broken glass. It's an absolute wonder how the He-6's aren't sibilant or thin sounding.

Which just proves that graphs don't always tell the whole truth :D

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #838 of 21,171
Sorry a little OT. I do not know where to post this, I'd like to know what Jerg thinks about this. 
I had a vision of the future: I think thant a good open headphone, to send audio correctly in all directions, should have an ovoid shape. A bit like the Alpha dog if you want but with holes.... errrh... grid... (sorry i'm french). ...As open as they are designed, opened headphones are currently FLAT (on the edges) and so they can send audio only in a straight line. no ?
[thanx to google for this horrible translation, is this understandable ?]
Cool, In ten years I would return you guys to this post and say that I launched this idea. (just kidding but...)

Edit : Oh, maybe a Planar ovoid would not be simple to conceive ...

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #839 of 21,171

+1, wondering especially how the treble compares to he400 using the new design of pads / jerg.

I'm still weighing up if i should upgrade from my he400, One thing i sure miss the comfort of my pc360 !

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #840 of 21,171
  Sorry a little OT. I do not know where to post this, I'd like to know what Jerg thinks about this. 
I had a vision of the future: I think thant a good open headphone, to send audio correctly in all directions, should have an ovoid shape. A bit like the Alpha dog if you want but with holes.... errrh... grid... (sorry i'm french). ...As open as they are designed, opened headphones are currently FLAT and so they can send audio only in a straight line. no ?
[thanx to google for this horrible translation, is this understandable ?]

It is understandable but I am not sure that's how headphones work :D
You might as well argue the same with a circular form.
Oval drivers are in general harder to manufacture and therefore are used less [from what I understand].
I prefer circular headphones but it's not something I'd base my purchase on.
I have my doubts about the PM-1/2 but I'll stay silent and wait for impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back