= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #841 of 21,171
Wow you are quick, thanx :grinning: So oval opened drivers exist already and i am no a genius. Sad to know :wink: But what Opened headphones are made like this ? (And by the way, what is PM 1-2 ? It is a problem with this forum a lot of jargon for experts...)

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #842 of 21,171
Wow you are quick, thanx :grinning: So oval opened drivers exist already and i am no a genius. Sad to know :wink: But what Opened headphones are made like this ? (And by the way, what is PM 1-2 ? It is a problem with this forum a lot of jargon for experts...)

You're welcome -_^
The Oppo PM-1 and PM-2, is an oval planarmagnetic headphone soon to be released.
There are oval shaped drivers in other headphones but as said, they're not that common/

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #843 of 21,171
Thanx. But WHAT other headphones have ovale shapped driver ? I want their names :blush: (and ok, after we should stop this of topic i guess)
Edit : maybe we misanderstood. Said ovoïd (3d), rounded / domed opened headphones, not simply FLAT oval form like momentum for exemple.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #844 of 21,171
The Oppo PM-1 is looking interesting but if the PM-2 sounds similar and is $700... Paying 400 bucks just for materials is still a bit bizarre to me...
A 560 vs PM1/2 would be very interesting... I mean it will be :D

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #845 of 21,171
  The Oppo PM-1 is looking interesting but if the PM-2 sounds similar and is $700... Paying 400 bucks just for materials is still a bit bizarre to me...
A 560 vs PM1/2 would be very interesting... I mean it will be :D

This almost sounds like you're promoting a wrestling match. 
deadhorse.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #846 of 21,171
A question to any [and all] 560 owners - how's the soundstage width/depth?
Some people say the width is great but the depth not so much, others say that depth is great but width is not..
So which one it is?

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #847 of 21,171
I have some reservation about the Oppo design, mainly why is the driver (or at least the open portion of the driver) so tiny?

It looks very unorthodox and certainly completely different from the other current planars (HFM/audeze/abyss/fostex).

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #848 of 21,171
  I have some reservation about the Oppo design, mainly why is the driver (or at least the open portion of the driver) so tiny?

It looks very unorthodox and certainly completely different from the other current planars (HFM/audeze/abyss/fostex).

Interesting observation. This may not be a good sign for extended sub bass.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #849 of 21,171
Apr 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #851 of 21,171

Serious. We'll know after the wrestling match, Oppo vs. Hifiman, etc.

We will... Does Oppo have any dealers in Europe? They hardly have any in the States...

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #852 of 21,171
Fwiw the guys at that meet thing ces I believe we're more impressed with the oppo than the Hifiman.

700 sounds great! I have a feeling it will be the more balanced. But feelings mean nothing. Just a hunch.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #853 of 21,171
Fwiw the guys at that meet thing ces I believe we're more impressed with the oppo than the Hifiman.

700 sounds great! I have a feeling it will be the more balanced. But feelings mean nothing. Just a hunch.

That were the hi/fi guys me thinks... It's entirely possible but that'd be something... Stealing the show with their first headphone... Not exactly easy to do.
Besides, the HiFiMAN at CES were prototypes too.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #854 of 21,171

The thing is the Oppo planar driver is so proprietary that we literally know or understand nothing about it (other than that it uses magnets and tensioned membrane with metallic tracings) and its capabilities. Also we have no idea about its tuning yet as the people who received the PM1 demo units are apparently all under NDA and can't say anything.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #855 of 21,171
  A question to any [and all] 560 owners - how's the soundstage width/depth?
Some people say the width is great but the depth not so much, others say that depth is great but width is not..
So which one it is?

Possibly, please?
That's like the only area where I am having my doubts so far. 2 sentences would suffice!
I'll never quote myself again -_-
It's embarrassing 
redface.gif

Apologies and thanks :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back