= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #858 of 21,171
  We will... Does Oppo have any dealers in Europe? They hardly have any in the States...

If I said Prague, I'd probably be a liar.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #863 of 21,171
  Dubček Audio. That's the place. 
eek.gif

The fuuuuu.... -_-
No seriously, anywhere within EU would be fine...
Got nothing against buying directly from Oppo, but I have a hunch they wouldn't underdeclare and therefore tax the ... out of me.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #865 of 21,171
Plus 1 on sound stage of 560 compared to 500 please all reviewers start reviewing I think that's the idea of getting a pre shippment

560 is a bit deeper (forward backward) and substantially wider than 500 in terms of soundstage. This is with the new Hifiman pads tested on both.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #866 of 21,171
im particularly curious about some of the treble qualities of the he-560 vs he-400/he-6. The he-400 has a distinct tizz that can be reduced with jergpads and proper amping, but it is still there nontheless. The he-6 is reported to have it when not amped properly, and the he-500 has it but to a notably less degree than the previous 2.

This really requires comparing the he-560 to a non-tizzy phone like a sennheiser hd6xx, maybe even the he-500. I'm just curious with the more present treble, does the he-560 retain much of the "tizz" or is the timbre a bit more natural than the other hifiman's? Not sure if Jerg or Edwood or anyone else who has actually heard the hp can note on the treble qualities, particularly "spikes" that may become more problematic at loud volumes as well as overall tone and timbre, specifically the tizzy quality of the hifiman line.

The new ear pads help tame the edginess a bit, as I find them to help tame the edginess of the HE-6.  The HE-560 is noticeably smoother than the HE-6 with upper treble range, but it comes at a cost, it lacks the dynamic punch of the HE-6 on the treble and bass.  Relatively speaking, because the HE-560 still has the best aspects of an ortho and still has plenty of punch to the dynamics of treble and bass impact.  Just not quite as much as the HE-6.  Of course the sheer dynamics of the HE-6 comes at a cost as they are more fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.  

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #867 of 21,171
Comparing the new ear pads on the HE-6, I find it has some positive effect on the frequency response, tames the edginess on the high treble a tiny bit.  Mid bass is bumped up a little bit.

But has a negative effect on the transparency of the sound, seems to be a tiny bit more "echoey" sounding.  A bit of reverberation it seems, perhaps with the better seal of the new ear pads, it closes in the sound a bit.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #868 of 21,171

im particularly curious about some of the treble qualities of the he-560 vs he-400/he-6. The he-400 has a distinct tizz that can be reduced with jergpads and proper amping, but it is still there nontheless. The he-6 is reported to have it when not amped properly, and the he-500 has it but to a notably less degree than the previous 2.

This really requires comparing the he-560 to a non-tizzy phone like a sennheiser hd6xx, maybe even the he-500. I'm just curious with the more present treble, does the he-560 retain much of the "tizz" or is the timbre a bit more natural than the other hifiman's? Not sure if Jerg or Edwood or anyone else who has actually heard the hp can note on the treble qualities, particularly "spikes" that may become more problematic at loud volumes as well as overall tone and timbre, specifically the tizzy quality of the hifiman line.

The new ear pads help tame the edginess a bit, as I find them to help tame the edginess of the HE-6.  The HE-560 is noticeably smoother than the HE-6 with upper treble range, but it comes at a cost, it lacks the dynamic punch of the HE-6 on the treble and bass.  Relatively speaking, because the HE-560 still has the best aspects of an ortho and still has plenty of punch to the dynamics of treble and bass impact.  Just not quite as much as the HE-6.  Of course the sheer dynamics of the HE-6 comes at a cost as they are more fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.  

That is exactly why I returned the HE-6, "fatiguing", (treble), too much bass impact, HE-560 probably a little more neutral than the HE-6?

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #870 of 21,171

That is exactly why I returned the HE-6, "fatiguing", (treble), too much bass impact, HE-560 probably a little more neutral than the HE-6?

No, the HE-6 is just more unforgiving.  The HE-560 seems a bit warmer sounding, a bit less transparent though.  But smoother and better for even more poorly mastered music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back