= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #76 of 21,171
I think the printed logo and model name would look better in gold, to match the audio input sockets. There's no real white anywhere else on the phone, just black and warm tones like brown or gold, so it just seems out of place, like an afterthought. Do HiFiMan ever change superficial detailing like this mid-model-run?

Changing the stitching in the headband strap to a brown that matches the wood tone, or possibly gold thread would have cosmetic benefits too, I think.

Quote:
  Teaser.

And after purchasing, gold or copper-plating the grilles could be an easy mod for owners, especially if replacing the grill material. I thing they'd work well with the wood colour and the black plastic ring + shadowing.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #77 of 21,171
I am just disappointed in the aesthetics. It still looks power ranger'ish with the huge tacky logo on the sides and bulgy headband corners.

All of that will go away once I put them on and feel the amazing comfort...

Now that the design change is officially here to stay, the worst part about this for current & former HE-4 owners is that we're going to have to spend the next month seeing reviewers attribute the improved comfort to that stinking thing, knowing it was the weight all along.  I still think both changes at the same time was unfortunate overkill by HFM.

One other thing that would be nice to know straight away from Jerg tomorrow (I know you're gonna be removing that pad pronto anyway!) is a final verdict on whether it's inner or outer placement of the diaphragm relative to the magnets.  If it's outer, then this is going to get real interesting, real quick.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #78 of 21,171
Lots of people love wood headphones. Hifiman's original HE-5 was wood as well...

Yep, I do remember! Have a pal with two pairs of cracked ones. (He's too lazy, and very wealthy, to send anything back.) All wood, eventually, cracks. That's what wood is designed by nature to do. (Beautiful, yes!) How much time elapses before a small crack starts is a dice throw. On big speakers a tiny wood crack makes no difference, on a headphone it can be problematic.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #81 of 21,171
that is true^ maybe because they are lacquered up i dunno.
Quote:
Yep, I do remember! Have a pal with two pairs of cracked ones. (He's too lazy, and very wealthy, to send anything back.) All wood, eventually, cracks. That's what wood is designed by nature to do. (Beautiful, yes!) How much time elapses before a small crack starts is a dice throw. On big speakers a tiny wood crack makes no difference, on a headphone it can be problematic.

you are scaring me!
frown.gif
confused.gif

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #82 of 21,171
Don't mean to, really. I am a big Hifiman fan and hope they continue to make great HPs like the older 5-LE and 6: both extraordinary with decent (not expensive) amping. Sorry, though, wood phones in my house is not an option. As dependable and long-lasting as the roof on even the priciest convertible.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #83 of 21,171
HE-5 was kind of infamous for cracking, like the old Audez'e connectors, except worse. I doubt Fang's going to make that mistake again. That would just be ridiculous if history repeated itself. If people are worried there is the 400i...

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #84 of 21,171
Okay jerg...subbed. Please step away from your computer and wait outside your home for the DHL man. If he makes off like a ninja without leaving the package today, we may form and angry mob and come over with pitchforks. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #85 of 21,171
  Okay jerg...subbed. Please step away from your computer and wait outside your home for the DHL man. If he makes off like a ninja without leaving the package today, we may form and angry mob and come over with pitchforks. 

I'm going to work extra-early today and leaving early. AFAIK the DHL gets around my neighbourhood around early afternoon so I'll be home by then. Lol this is so ridiculous.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #86 of 21,171
According to my landlord (who was waiting all day for my package today), apparently the delivery person didn't even knock the door, he/she just left a paper slip and left.

I've already called DHL customer service who apologized profusely; will try and get off work early tomorrow to wait for the delivery myself.

When I miss a package I know at end of the day, the truck with the offender ninja is coming in and wait to pick it up..
Also like for my esw10 from other side of world,
I called and stated that I would pickup at my area location so I would not have to wait for truck, and rushed after work to pickup..

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #87 of 21,171
I know that with fedex you can schedule to pick up a package from a fedex location instead of getting a regular delivery. I've done this for gear when I knew that I wouldn't be home. Not sure about DHL though. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #88 of 21,171
  I know that with fedex you can schedule to pick up a package from a fedex location instead of getting a regular delivery. I've done this for gear when I knew that I wouldn't be home. Not sure about DHL though. 

I called DHL yesterday and they only allow pickup 2 days in advance because I called after 5PM. Regardless, I should, barring some extenuating circumstances, receive the package in person today.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #89 of 21,171
They are notorious for just sneaking to door with sticker so they can shave off a few minutes from their route..

I just made that up..

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #90 of 21,171
^^ No. They don't want to have to make a second trip. Ask the guy who had to lug the 90 pound vintage receiver that I sold to a guy in Cali. He made three trips. 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back