= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 5, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #7,876 of 21,171
@fengwei007 I notice in your signature that you have a hd800 and he-560. I'm curious how you would compare these two? I'm currently auditioning the hd800 for a couple weeks, and will have a chance to try the he-560 afterwards. both as possible replacements for my lcd 2, which I'm having some comfort and sound issues with. As in to me the bass hits harder and is more noticeable on the hd800 than lcd 2, but doesnt go as deep. but the hd800 is just a bit too sharp for me, and gets a bit sibilant too often/a bit too bright. lcd 2 is a bit too slow and sometimes dull though. I like details, speed, clarity, some smoothness to avoid sibilance, a bass that goes deep like the lcd 2 but also is tight and has a hard hit like the hd 800 (lcd 2 can be too soft, and it gets lost in the mix, which makes it sound dull sometimes), and a mid range that is not too forward but not recessed either. Base on those preferences, that is why I'm interested in trying out the he-560 to see if it fits all those traits. But since you have the hd800 and he-560 already, I'm curious what you think and if they match relatively close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #7,877 of 21,171
I have read this comparison and it was the main reason i am considering the 560 , because i want an open sound ,but i am asking to see what others think about it , especially about it being better than the 400i in female vocals

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #7,878 of 21,171
@fengwei007 I notice in your signature that you have a hd800 and he-560. I'm curious how you would compare these two? I'm currently auditioning the hd800 for a couple weeks, and will have a chance to try the he-560 afterwards. both as possible replacements for my lcd 2, which I'm having some comfort and sound issues with. As in to me the bass hits harder and is more noticeable on the hd800 than lcd 2, but doesnt go as deep. but the hd800 is just a bit too sharp for me, and gets a bit sibilant too often/a bit too bright. lcd 2 is a bit too slow and sometimes dull though. I like details, speed, clarity, some smoothness to avoid sibilance, a bass that goes deep like the lcd 2 but also is tight and has a hard hit like the hd 800 (lcd 2 can be too soft, and it gets lost in the mix, which makes it sound dull sometimes), and a mid range that is not too forward but not recessed either. Base on those preferences, that is why I'm interested in trying out the he-560 to see if it fits all those traits. But since you have the hd800 and he-560 already, I'm curious what you think and if they match relatively close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

To reduce sharpness do annax mod but for now bass goes deeper with HE-560 when using Vanquish balanced cable but I am expecting Draug 2 soon so will see what will happen

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #7,879 of 21,171
To reduce sharpness do annax mod but for now bass goes deeper with HE-560 when using Vanquish balanced cable but I am expecting Draug 2 soon so will see what will happen

good to know about the norne cables, as I will be getting a balanced norne for whichever headphone I choose to stick with (going for a one headphone only setup). I cant mod the hd800 I have since I'm not owning it. plus I dont really want to go through the trouble of modding. I'm a bit of a purist I guess lol....or just lazy. Hows the punch of the bass on the he-560 compared to hd800, taking into consideration that to my ears the lcd 2 have a softer bass than hd800. I'm really just hoping the he-560 is the perfect child of an hd800 and lcd 2 lol. At least whatever headphone that would be, thats the one I feel I'd like best. Also I'd love to know how draug 2 compares to vanquish when it arrives for you.

thanks!

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7,881 of 21,171
No HE-560 are great addition to HD800 but not the replacement that is why I want to try 2 different cables since I read that with Draug one you can get deepest bass ever

I wouldn't place my bets on the cable affecting bass in such a manner. The magic is in the 560's.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #7,883 of 21,171
No HE-560 are great addition to HD800 but not the replacement that is why I want to try 2 different cables since I read that with Draug one you can get deepest bass ever

Sounds like its along the lines of what I'm reading so far, and matching what I'm looking for. I seem to have the minority impression with most headphones, so I really have to rely on trying them out, or look at reviews that match closely to my preferences. I was mainly going to get a vanquish cable, because of the lesser price, and more versatile balanced sound, and better looks, to me.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #7,885 of 21,171
Focus pads dust cloth removal not recommended. The sound gets too forward and aggressive, even for me...

Wow sorry to hear..
I forgot to mention that I removed felt from the focusA pads which have no treble edge trait...

I can see how removing the felt would increase the perception of the stock pads edgy treble traits,
so it could be worse for the stock focus pad as they were a bit harsh or edgy as is, and now you notice more...

but that proves how much that felt is covering up the sound..(!)

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #7,886 of 21,171
I know that Draug 2 cable is more expensive but I want to make sure I have the best cable I can afford and that I can't get HD800 to have HE-560 bass

+1, I am also getting the Draug 2. For my current 560's and Alpha Dogs, then 800's in the future. StanD, know you are not a believer, but some aftermarket cables, Norne and Toxic do improve the 560's/800's/Alpha Dogs significantly, in my experience. Come down to the Nashville Meet on 9/20, we will be testing the stock cable, Norne Draug 2, and a DIY Cable Cute made me, would love to have a skeptic/engineer on the Panel!

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #7,887 of 21,171
Wow sorry to hear..
I forgot to mention that I removed felt from the focusA pads which have no treble edge trait...

I can see how removing the felt would increase the perception of the stock pads edgy treble traits,
so it could be worse for the stock focus pad as they were a bit harsh or edgy as is, and now you notice more...

but that proves how much that felt is covering up the sound..(!)

But it can be a good thing. I'd say a slight mute rather than cover or mask though... No detail hiding or anything like that.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #7,888 of 21,171
I know that Draug 2 cable is more expensive but I want to make sure I have the best cable I can afford and that I can't get HD800 to have HE-560 bass

+1, I am also getting the Draug 2. For my current 560's and Alpha Dogs, then 800's in the future. StanD, know you are not a believer, but some aftermarket cables, Norne and Toxic do improve the 560's/800's/Alpha Dogs significantly, in my experience. Come down to the Nashville Meet on 9/20, we will be testing the stock cable, Norne Draug 2, and a DIY Cable Cute made me, would love to have a skeptic/engineer on the Panel!

The cable I will have can use with both headphones using appropriate adapters

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #7,889 of 21,171
^Oleg^^ come on down to Nashville on the 20th!!! A hike from Brooklyn, but the Music City Meet is going to be awesome, Theogenes has done an outstanding job.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #7,890 of 21,171

I would love to visit Nashville, only, I just took a week off from work and had more work waiting for me than when I left.
I've done some cable comparisons with the HD800 in the past, balanced and SE. You can guess that I wasn't impressed. When I did a careful comparison, volume matched, my friend that owns the kit exclaimed, "Well, I've tossed out more money on my cars." That's not to say that this is also a hobby and if one gets personal enjoyment from any kit, I'm good with that.
Enjoy the meet, try not to spend too much money on new stuff. Although, new stuff is inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back