= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #7,891 of 21,174
  @fengwei007 I notice in your signature that you have a hd800 and he-560. I'm curious how you would compare these two? I'm currently auditioning the hd800 for a couple weeks, and will have a chance to try the he-560 afterwards. both as possible replacements for my lcd 2, which I'm having some comfort and sound issues with. As in to me the bass hits harder and is more noticeable on the hd800 than lcd 2, but doesnt go as deep. but the hd800 is just a bit too sharp for me, and gets a bit sibilant too often/a bit too bright. lcd 2 is a bit too slow and sometimes dull though. I like details, speed, clarity, some smoothness to avoid sibilance, a bass that goes deep like the lcd 2 but also is tight and has a hard hit like the hd 800 (lcd 2 can be too soft, and it gets lost in the mix, which makes it sound dull sometimes), and a mid range that is not too forward but not recessed either. Base on those preferences, that is why I'm interested in trying out the he-560 to see if it fits all those traits. But since you have the hd800 and he-560 already, I'm curious what you think and if they match relatively close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

you should give an he-6 on a high quality speaker amp a try and compare your other headphones with it, you never know 
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #7,892 of 21,174
  you should give an he-6 on a high quality speaker amp a try and compare your other headphones with it, you never know 
beerchug.gif

Yea I thought about it, but comfort is one reason I'm even looking at other headphones besides my lcd 2. mainly the weight on my neck after many hours of use. As I tend to go for long sessions of music/youtube/netflix/just keeping headphones on my head when I use the laptop. I found out that anything over 400 grams or so starts getting a bit too tiresome for me, bearable, but gets distracting after a while. Also I just got a violectric v281, which in balanced mode could run a he-6, but not as good as speaker amps I bet. So I wont be getting speaker amps lol.

Thats kinda why I figured not to deal with the he-6, but it seems people say the he-560 is pretty close to it in many ways, and in general I'm just looking for something that can best my lcd 2 within the same price range (above this the diminishing returns are too much for me atm). If nothing can best it, then I'll just stick with it until something comes out that can.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #7,894 of 21,174
@fengwei007
I notice in your signature that you have a hd800 and he-560. I'm curious how you would compare these two? I'm currently auditioning the hd800 for a couple weeks, and will have a chance to try the he-560 afterwards. both as possible replacements for my lcd 2, which I'm having some comfort and sound issues with. As in to me the bass hits harder and is more noticeable on the hd800 than lcd 2, but doesnt go as deep. but the hd800 is just a bit too sharp for me, and gets a bit sibilant too often/a bit too bright. lcd 2 is a bit too slow and sometimes dull though. I like details, speed, clarity, some smoothness to avoid sibilance, a bass that goes deep like the lcd 2 but also is tight and has a hard hit like the hd 800 (lcd 2 can be too soft, and it gets lost in the mix, which makes it sound dull sometimes), and a mid range that is not too forward but not recessed either. Base on those preferences, that is why I'm interested in trying out the he-560 to see if it fits all those traits. But since you have the hd800 and he-560 already, I'm curious what you think and if they match relatively close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Just saw your question...

Yes, I do have both HD800 and HE560. To me they sound quite a bit different. HD800s have bigger soundstage and probably a bit more details, as expected. But HE560 has great soundstage too, especially the 3D imagine which is fantastic, great for orchestra and movies. It's definitely not as bright as HD800 which I don't feel over bright anyway. I like the sound from HD800, very natural and relaxing, great for some background musics when I'm working on my computer. The HE560 is more engaging, I feel I like to use it more when I'm just purely listening to musics. Sometimes I can listen to musics with HE560 for hours and don't want to stop, but I seldom have this kind of feeling with the HD800.

From what you described, I think HE560 might just be THE ONE you are looking for. It has great bass (details, extension, impact), excellent vocals which feel not too far but not too prominent either, just right. The trebles are sparkling and smooth (wonder how they achieve that). Clarity and transparency are almost as good as the HD800. I really enjoy using them for movies too, which I don't like with the HD800.

Between these two, it's hard to choose for me. So I keep both. But I use the HE560 a lot more often.

Now I just got the HE400i a couple of days ago. I think these are great too, better (than the two discussed here) matched with a portable player like HM901 :)

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #7,895 of 21,174
Just saw your question...

Yes, I do have both HD800 and HE560. To me they sound quite a bit different. HD800s have bigger soundstage and probably a bit more details, as expected. But HE560 has great soundstage too, especially the 3D imagine which is fantastic, great for orchestra and movies. It's definitely not as bright as HD800 which I don't feel over bright anyway. I like the sound from HD800, very natural and relaxing, great for some background musics when I'm working on my computer. The HE560 is more engaging, I feel I like to use it more when I'm just purely listening to musics. Sometimes I can listen to musics with HE560 for hours and don't want to stop, but I seldom have this kind of feeling with the HD800.

From what you described, I think HE560 might just be THE ONE you are looking for. It has great bass (details, extension, impact), excellent vocals which feel not too far but not too prominent either, just right. The trebles are sparkling and smooth (wonder how they achieve that). Clarity and transparency are almost as good as the HD800. I really enjoy using them for movies too, which I don't like with the HD800.

Between these two, it's hard to choose for me. So I keep both. But I use the HE560 a lot more often.

Now I just got the HE400i a couple of days ago. I think these are great too, better (than the two discussed here) matched with a portable player like HM901
smily_headphones1.gif

dudeeeeeee... $2500+ on headphonesss!!! balllerrr statusssss

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #7,897 of 21,174
I been listening quite frequently with the HE 560 and notice the match on the Viva Egoista amp is excellent.  I will start writing this review and should be up before the end of this month. The voicing is so accurate with this amplifier and the HE560. Violins are really special.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #7,898 of 21,174
  I been listening quite frequently with the HE 560 and notice the match on the Viva Egoista amp is excellent.  I will start writing this review and should be up before the end of this month. The voicing is so accurate with this amplifier and the HE560. Violins are really special.

hahah for a 10k amp, I would imagine even the beats sound good on them.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #7,899 of 21,174

Looking forward to it then. Always enjoy reading your reviews :)

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7,900 of 21,174
hahah for a 10k amp, I would imagine even the beats sound good on them.

I still think headphones are the most import part in this chain, good amps only help bringing out the best of the headphones. There are only that much the beats can do, you won't be able to make them sound any better even w/ a 10k dac/amp setup.

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #7,902 of 21,174
I still think headphones are the most import part in this chain, good amps only help bringing out the best of the headphones. There are only that much the beats can do, you won't be able to make them sound any better even w/ a 10k dac/amp setup.

hahah of course. I was just making a joke.

Only $2500+? I thought I spent way more than that already. Lucky I got an understanding wife (who never likes listening to music w headphones).

lol no. only $2,500 worth of headphones mentioned in in your post. your signature has $5,000+ worth of gear in just the headphones section. The other equipment adds up to $5,000+ as well.

So duddeee... what is life like with $10,000+ worth of audiophile gear? Do you ever feel like the real world is too low-res like a poorly-ripped 128kbps mp3?

Damn, your wife must not do the bills or you must have a really badass job.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #7,903 of 21,174
  hahah of course. I was just making a joke.

lol no. only $2,500 worth of headphones mentioned in in your post. your signature has $5,000+ worth of gear in just the headphones section. The other equipment adds up to $5,000+ as well.

So duddeee... what is life like with $10,000+ worth of audiophile gear? Do you ever feel like the real world is too low-res like a poorly-ripped 128kbps mp3?

Damn, your wife must not do the bills or you must have a really badass job.

they see me rollin they hatin 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #7,904 of 21,174
Saxelrod -- I highly recommend an Oppo PM1 (2?) for your needs. It breaks in nicely and betters the LCD2 a lot for me (not the LCD3 though). Hop over the the Oppo thread as this discussion belongs over there, rather than here.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #7,905 of 21,174
  dudeeeeeee... $2500+ on headphonesss!!! balllerrr statusssss

Clarity and transparency are almost as good as the HD800. I really enjoy using them for movies too, which I don't like with the HD800.

Now I just got the HE400i a couple of days ago. I think these are great too, better (than the two discussed here) matched with a portable player like HM901
smily_headphones1.gif

HE-560 vs HE-400i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back