= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 6, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #7,906 of 21,174
hahah of course. I was just making a joke.

lol no. only $2,500 worth of headphones mentioned in in your post. your signature has $5,000+ worth of gear in just the headphones section. The other equipment adds up to $5,000+ as well.

So duddeee... what is life like with $10,000+ worth of audiophile gear? Do you ever feel like the real world is too low-res like a poorly-ripped 128kbps mp3?

Damn, your wife must not do the bills or you must have a really badass job.

Hmm, I didn't know that I've spent that much money in headphone stuff already... Better don't tell my wife about this, otherwise she is gonna buy more bags and I can't say anything about it :wink:

I'm not making tons of money, but good enough to support kids of two (they are the real money eaters!).

Anyway, compare to many guys here, my stuff aren't much really. Besides, I can always offload some when I feel like not using them :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #7,907 of 21,174
Just saw your question...

Yes, I do have both HD800 and HE560. To me they sound quite a bit different. HD800s have bigger soundstage and probably a bit more details, as expected. But HE560 has great soundstage too, especially the 3D imagine which is fantastic, great for orchestra and movies. It's definitely not as bright as HD800 which I don't feel over bright anyway. I like the sound from HD800, very natural and relaxing, great for some background musics when I'm working on my computer. The HE560 is more engaging, I feel I like to use it more when I'm just purely listening to musics. Sometimes I can listen to musics with HE560 for hours and don't want to stop, but I seldom have this kind of feeling with the HD800.

From what you described, I think HE560 might just be THE ONE you are looking for. It has great bass (details, extension, impact), excellent vocals which feel not too far but not too prominent either, just right. The trebles are sparkling and smooth (wonder how they achieve that). Clarity and transparency are almost as good as the HD800. I really enjoy using them for movies too, which I don't like with the HD800.

Between these two, it's hard to choose for me. So I keep both. But I use the HE560 a lot more often.

Now I just got the HE400i a couple of days ago. I think these are great too, better (than the two discussed here) matched with a portable player like HM901
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the awesome answer man! It seems what I've been reading on them is still true, and that they could  very well be that perfect balance for me. I'll get a chance to hear them in a couple weeks, so I'll know for sure then.

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #7,908 of 21,174
Thank you for the awesome answer man! It seems what I've been reading on them is still true, and that they could  very well be that perfect balance for me. I'll get a chance to hear them in a couple weeks, so I'll know for sure then.

Hope you'd like them as much as many here do :). Just make sure to feed them w/ proper sources (dac and amp).

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #7,909 of 21,174
Hope you'd like them as much as many here do
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just make sure to feed them w/ proper sources (dac and amp).

Thanks, and yea I already have that covered. I just got the new Violectric flagship amp, the V281. and have a schiit bifrost uber.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #7,910 of 21,174
Thanks, and yea I already have that covered. I just got the new Violectric flagship amp, the V281. and have a schiit bifrost uber.

Look forward to reading/hearing about the Violectric/Bifrost/560 pairing! I known the Lyr 2 in that chain is killer, the Violectric should be awesome!

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #7,911 of 21,174
  hahah for a 10k amp, I would imagine even the beats sound good on them.

They also sound fantastic on the Violectric V280 and Oppo HA-1 so it working well with any amp but point being they scale up as you go up with gear which is good. The mor eup you go in gear the more that usually is revealed. The 560 scales up well.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #7,912 of 21,174
Look forward to reading/hearing about the Violectric/Bifrost/560 pairing! I known the Lyr 2 in that chain is killer, the Violectric should be awesome!

The V281 is amazing, so far no matter what I plug into it, it just works exactly the way you want it to. never a lack of power, never the wrong sound/mismatch, it just works. Like I have tried the denon d5000s with it, which are very sensitive, and it sounds great on those, with of course insane amounts of power, but I can get the volume knob to about 10 o'clock. then with the lcd 2 they sound amazing, and I get the volume to around 11-12 o'clock. and with the hd800 they sound amazing, and i get the volume also to 11-1 o'clock. The reason I point out what volume I use, is because it shows how the amp is adjusting to the different impedences and power requirements of those different headphones. Regardless what I plug into them, they give you the same amount of headroom, and power, and sound. Thats whats really impressive to me. I still need to get a balanced cable to use it balanced though (once I finalize one headphone to stick with, I'll be getting it that cable). Also I'm the first person in North America to own a V281 lol. theres another guy in New York who owns the second one haha. He told me he loves it too. and Arthur, the guy who runs the Violectric usa store is beyond amazing, he completely took care of some minor initial issues I had, responded within an hour or two of emailing him, even on days off, like he needs a raise lol.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #7,914 of 21,174
Sounds like an "endgame" amp, too build your HP collection around, tell us more about it and your 560 and 800's? Also, check out Norne's new Draug 2, it is a killer cable for both your 800's and 560's, with a Throne Adapter, mine is coming with a 4 pin XLR and an extension to a Viablue 1/4", so I can amp them with anything.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #7,915 of 21,174
I'd get me an end-game amp as well but for now I'll stick to my SA31SE for one reason - the Jade II.
If the HE-6 successor is better, I'll invest into a TOTL SS amp if the Jade is better then it'll be a TOTL electrostatic amp [most likely made by HiFiMAN].
The NFB7 will stay as a DAC for some time to come... It was really a brilliant buy - all the details of the ESS chip with musicality and smoothness. No need to upgrade furhter for the foreseable future.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #7,916 of 21,174
I'd get me an end-game amp as well but for now I'll stick to my SA31SE for one reason - the Jade II.
If the HE-6 successor is better, I'll invest into a TOTL SS amp if the Jade is better then it'll be a TOTL electrostatic amp [most likely made by HiFiMAN].
The NFB7 will stay as a DAC for some time to come... It was really a brilliant buy - all the details of the ESS chip with musicality and smoothness. No need to upgrade furhter for the foreseable future.

So much wonderful equipment, so little time........⌛

BTW, will be doing the "felt mod" on my extra Focus A Pads tonight, let's compare notes..

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #7,917 of 21,174
So much wonderful equipment, so little time........⌛

BTW, will be doing the "felt mod" on my extra Focus A Pads tonight, let's compare notes..

I am sure it'll have a more positive effect on the As.
Though for me the Focus w/ open organza grills are as good as it gets.
I didn't like the As in stock form and assuming it has the same change on them as it had on the Focuses coupled w/ the grill mod, I wouldn't like them much more. Plus, the comfort is worse for me...

But for you... It'll be different most likely! Be sure to compare notes :beerchug::popcorn:

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #7,918 of 21,174
dudeeeeeee... $2500+ on headphonesss!!! balllerrr statusssss

Haha yeah alot people here have spent well over that on headphones alone. :frowning2: ... :wink:

Yes and you can use your sa31se for normal headphones and for the Jade2 you can just add onto your sa31se with a "woo audio wee" instead of buying another amp..

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #7,919 of 21,174
I am sure it'll have a more positive effect on the As.
Though for me the Focus w/ open organza grills are as good as it gets.
I didn't like the As in stock form and assuming it has the same change on them as it had on the Focuses coupled w/ the grill mod, I wouldn't like them much more. Plus, the comfort is worse for me...

But for you... It'll be different most likely! Be sure to compare notes :beerchug::popcorn:

If you still have your FocusA pads,
Turn them 90 degree so that the thin side faces down...
It will sound closer to the stock focus pads brightness or edge..

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #7,920 of 21,174
Sounds like an "endgame" amp, too build your HP collection around, tell us more about it and your 560 and 800's? Also, check out Norne's new Draug 2, it is a killer cable for both your 800's and 560's, with a Throne Adapter, mine is coming with a 4 pin XLR and an extension to a Viablue 1/4", so I can amp them with anything.

I'm getting Valab rhodium plated one instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back