= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #3,107 of 21,175
  talk about an endorsement. as the 560 finally get its troubles sorted out and start seeing a proper release, i hope to read more impressions on how it fares against the HD800. there are few comparisons between the two right now, and most of what i've read have been rather contrasting

I've found that the general consensus (so far) on the 560 vs the HD800 to be: the HD800 remains the more technically accomplished phone (resolving ability, scalability, bandwidth, soundstage, imaging, accuracy, transparency, neutrality).  The 560 delivers those same qualities with lots of competency (but not quite the precision).. but serves as a better phone for 'day to day' listening and it possess wider genre compatibility than the HD800, as well.. and the 560 isn't quite as demanding of upstream gear (to hear its potential) as the HD800 is.

May 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,108 of 21,175

I've found that the general consensus (so far) on the 560 vs the HD800 to be: the HD800 remains the more technically accomplished phone (resolving ability, scalability, bandwidth, soundstage, imaging, accuracy, transparency, neutrality).  The 560 delivers those same qualities with lots of competency (but not quite the precision).. but serves as a better phone for 'day to day' listening and it possess wider genre compatibility than the HD800, as well.. and the 560 isn't quite as demanding of upstream gear (to hear its potential) as the HD800 is.

hmm the HE 560 is sounding good... I might have to invest in one soon... hopefully it's at least as "bright" as the HE 4, as I like it's sound signiture just fine! And really all I'd like from my next headphone is something with better sound stage and details, better imaging! 

May 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3,109 of 21,175
  The fact he was using a GS-X mk2 has me interested..

me too 
wink.gif

May 30, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,112 of 21,175
I agree that the look of the darker teak veneer matches the overall aesthetics a bit better than the ebony. Hopefully that's what'll be shipping out to us in a few weeks. The impressions of the new revised model from the Newport show sound amazing. Better than the SR-007, HD800, LCD-3, AND LCD-X?? These can't arrive quickly enough!

May 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3,114 of 21,175
  I think he meant he likes the teak veneer more than the ebony veneer, not that he prefers veneer to the full wood cups.

yea Full wood cups would have been nice, considering the price 

May 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #3,115 of 21,175
  yea Full wood cups would have been nice, considering the price 

That's a flawed argument, only a handful of cans at $900+ have wooden cups, even then it's more often a stylistic choice than something that actually provides functional benefits (durability/acoustics).

There's this expectation since people are primed by the earlier HE560s with teak wood cups. Personally I think Audeze's later wood implementation is best, just a very simple geometric ring of solid wood that is still only decorative. Minimizes issues associated with working with wood, but still they can boast that their cans have solid wood incorporated.

May 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #3,116 of 21,175
I'll gladly take veneer, since it maybe sounds even more awesome :D

May 30, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,117 of 21,175
Here are a couple pics I took at the opening of the Newport Beach show this morning. This was at the Hifiman table. I listened to the 560's for a very short time but plan on spending much more time with them tomorrow.

May 30, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3,119 of 21,175
Here are a couple pics I took at the opening of the Newport Beach show this morning. This was at the Hifiman table. I listened to the 560's for a very short time but plan on spending much more time with them tomorrow.

Alright, so the HE560 at the THE Newport show still has the ebony veneer, hardly a surprise as I bet this same unit was photographed for the initial announcement about the cup design change in this thread.

The mystery of the teak veneer continues until someone physically asks Fang about final decisions regarding the veneer types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back