= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,092 of 21,175
  Would be nice to know how these synergize with the Asgard 2, the only amp I own at the moment.

I have the Asgard 2. With the preorder version, I found the upper mids to become "strident" when I pushed the amp above about 12 o'clock. Below that point, wonderful energy and clarity. I decided to get a Lyr. I haven't tried any tube rolling yet, but it sounds pretty darn great with the stock tubes.

Of course, I don't know how the final version of the 560s will behave with the Asgard 2.

May 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,094 of 21,175
I for one hope it is Teak veneer....to me looks better that the Macassar Ebony, I would be more inclined to go for the replacement rather than my preorder pair!

May 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,095 of 21,175
Maybe it'll be something where Hifiman has choices in wood veneer like Audeze used to have with the XC.  I have way more trust in hifiman over audeze though so I assume Hifiman would keep the choices whereas Audeze was a limited deal.

May 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3,096 of 21,175
terja,

I still believe its the old pic, theres a smooth side where there would be a veneer--> plastic boundary, and the connector area doesn't have that extra bit of plastic (I can be wrong too, I'm just hoping not to stir up any more hope for a teak veneer).  Hopefully impressions from the show come in to clarify (or Hifiman directly 
rolleyes.gif
)

May 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #3,097 of 21,175
  terja,

I still believe its the old pic, theres a smooth side where there would be a veneer--> plastic boundary, and the connector area doesn't have that extra bit of plastic (I can be wrong too, I'm just hoping not to stir up any more hope for a teak veneer).  Hopefully impressions from the show come in to clarify (or Hifiman directly 
rolleyes.gif
)

Yeah you may be right ... and hopefully pictures too. If it's of any value I vote for teak veneer. That would be a good middle ground compromise for those who were hoping for all teak-wood finish, and those who are aiming for overall reliability and consistent finish.

May 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,098 of 21,175
  terja,

rolleyes.gif
)

Well, I got the pic form a post from yesterday about an announcement event they will have some time in June, so i don't think that picture is old. However, it is sure confusing that they look like they are changing the veneer again without noticing us (if they are changing it at all). Hopefully they will clarify soon!

May 30, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,100 of 21,175
A fellow Head-Fi'er, @gnarlsagan, is at the THE show in Newport today.  I tend to trust his ears more than just about anyone else's here at Head-Fi.. his reference headphones is the ER4S.  I asked him to check out the HFM booth and give me his thoughts on the HE-560 & HE-400i.. here's what he had to say:

I found the 560 to be a lot more linear and clearer than the 400. The 400 has more mid-bass and less sub-bass to my ears, and the mids in general don't sound as forward and detailed. The 560 might have just a bit more of a treble peak around 9-10k, but nothing that's a problem imo at normal listening volumes. And I hate treble peaks!

A/Bing with the LCD3 shows the 560 to be clearer with less mid-bass and more totally accurate mids. Travel is a bit sharper, but the LCD3 is definitely a bit smoother over in the highs.

I think I might actually prefer the 560 over the SR007. I'm ABing those two actually with the SR009 as I write this. The SR007 sounds wrong somehow in comparison. Like less forward mids, and slightly more tizzy I the highs. The SR009 is the best headphone I've ever heard however. I've heard them before, but this clinches it. Impossibly clear and totally accurate.

I think the only thing maybe missing from the 560 is a tiny bit of 5-6k emphasis. The FR is balanced very well throughout the spectrum. I'm surprised by how much I like it tbh.

I asked about how he gauges the HE-560 & HE-400i's soundstage depth (which I find most orthos to lack).. he added more thoughts:

Went back to the 560 to check out soundstage. With more comparisons with the SR007, I find the Stax to sound a little more out of head, but the 560 isn't far behind. I'd put the SR009 way out ahead as far as soundstage and out-of-head-ness, with the HD800 and SR007 in second, and the LCD3 and 560 pretty damn close. There is something slightly less clean about the 560 compared to the Stax and Sennheiser, but the 560's FR is more correct than either the HD800 or SR007 imo.

Tonally, and I already mentioned this, I'd put the 560 above the SR007, LCD3, LCDX (which is basically an LCD3 with moar bass), and HD800. The mids are totally clear of mid-bass bloat, unlike the 400i, which isn't exactly bloated, but definitely doesn't have the clear, tonally pure mids of the 560. I'm not sure if the 400i uses different drivers, as I haven't read a single thing about these until trying them today, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if that was the case. And again, I wouldn't be too worried about any treble peak on the 560 unless something like the LCD3 is your preferred sound sig. The treble sounds linear and convincing, and less prominent than on the HE-6 I heard a while back. Some might find the HE-6 more involving with its larger sub-bass and treble presence, but I much prefer the more linear presentation of the 560.

I'm comparing all of these back to back with the Stax on a Headamp Blue Hawaii, and the rest on a Headamp GS-X mk2.

I'd buy the 560 over anything here, bar the SR009, which is seriously far ahead of everything else, sounding the most like reality to my ears.

May 30, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,101 of 21,175
  A fellow Head-Fi'er, @gnarlsagan, is at the THE show in Newport today.  I tend to trust his ears more than just about anyone else's here at Head-Fi.. his reference headphones is the ER4S.  I asked him to check out the HFM booth and give me his thoughts on the HE-560 & HE-400i.. here's what he had to say:

I found the 560 to be a lot more linear and clearer than the 400. The 400 has more mid-bass and less sub-bass to my ears, and the mids in general don't sound as forward and detailed. The 560 might have just a bit more of a treble peak around 9-10k, but nothing that's a problem imo at normal listening volumes. And I hate treble peaks!

A/Bing with the LCD3 shows the 560 to be clearer with less mid-bass and more totally accurate mids. Travel is a bit sharper, but the LCD3 is definitely a bit smoother over in the highs.

I think I might actually prefer the 560 over the SR007. I'm ABing those two actually with the SR009 as I write this. The SR007 sounds wrong somehow in comparison. Like less forward mids, and slightly more tizzy I the highs. The SR009 is the best headphone I've ever heard however. I've heard them before, but this clinches it. Impossibly clear and totally accurate.

I think the only thing maybe missing from the 560 is a tiny bit of 5-6k emphasis. The FR is balanced very well throughout the spectrum. I'm surprised by how much I like it tbh.

I asked about how he gauges the HE-560 & HE-400i's soundstage depth (which I find most orthos to lack).. he added more thoughts:

That's a pretty encouraging statement. 

May 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,102 of 21,175

That's a pretty encouraging statement. 

Yeah.. I was pretty excited about the 560 to begin with (I just had a 'feeling' it was going to be special even before it ever got out into the wild).. but gnarls' impression pretty much solidifies the anxiousness in my anticipation of the 560.  I've had it pre-ordered for a few weeks.. and his impressions have made this wait even harder.

May 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,103 of 21,175
talk about an endorsement. as the 560 finally get its troubles sorted out and start seeing a proper release, i hope to read more impressions on how it fares against the HD800. there are few comparisons between the two right now, and most of what i've read have been rather contrasting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back