= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 4, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #20,761 of 21,175
If its the $499 price ones I think those are what I'd consider the V3 since they have the wood veneer and old style headband (many had issues with the yoke cracking) but with 2.5mm jacks

Another question. I picked up the Adorma he560 v2 used pair but i read through some of the post here saying that Adorma replaced ever v2 to v3 or something like that. Is it possible my v2 is actually v3 when i get it? How can i tell the difference and if i indeed get a v2 can i get a v3 headband from hifiman?

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #20,762 of 21,175
I bought mine from Adorama and within one month one of the yokes snapped clean off. I contacted HiFiMan and once I emailed them a copy of my invoice I was sent a metal headband

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #20,763 of 21,175
Another question. I picked up the Adorma he560 v2 used pair but i read through some of the post here saying that Adorma replaced ever v2 to v3 or something like that. Is it possible my v2 is actually v3 when i get it? How can i tell the difference and if i indeed get a v2 can i get a v3 headband from hifiman?
Adorama originally sold the metalic 3.5mm V2 back in Jul2018 for $299, there were lots of complaints about the head-strap being too short so HiFiman made it good by offering a 8.5 iin strap in replacement for the original 8 in strap. Purchasers could change themselves or send back to Adorama for a retrofit. HiFiman then changed out existing V2 inventory with the longer strap. V2 and V3 new from Adorama after that had the longer strap. It would be unpredictable what one will get on a used pair labeled V2. HiFiman support is quite good so suspect they would send you a longer strap if needed. Many in this forum label the versions as @DavidA mentions a page back in this thread which makes the V2 a wood veneered version. If you are purchasing from Adorams you are likely getting a metallic version.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #20,764 of 21,175
Adorama originally sold the metalic 3.5mm V2 back in Jul2018 for $299, there were lots of complaints about the head-strap being too short so HiFiman made it good by offering a 8.5 iin strap in replacement for the original 8 in strap. Purchasers could change themselves or send back to Adorama for a retrofit. HiFiman then changed out existing V2 inventory with the longer strap. V2 and V3 new from Adorama after that had the longer strap. It would be unpredictable what one will get on a used pair labeled V2. HiFiman support is quite good so suspect they would send you a longer strap if needed. Many in this forum label the versions as @DavidA mentions a page back in this thread which makes the V2 a wood veneered version. If you are purchasing from Adorams you are likely getting a metallic version.

I emailed Hifiman and it seems like they want me to pay $125 for the headband for my used pair of andorama he560 v2. I haven't received my he560 yet and i believe i have a average size head and hope it will fit me fine. If not might as well return it and get the wooden he560 than .

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #20,765 of 21,175
I emailed Hifiman and it seems like they want me to pay $125 for the headband for my used pair of andorama he560 v2. I haven't received my he560 yet and i believe i have a average size head and hope it will fit me fine. If not might as well return it and get the wooden he560 than .
Well you are in luck Adorama is still selling the complete HE560 headband for $9.99. The shorter strap size is fine for many heads so you may not have a problem.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #20,766 of 21,175
Well you are in luck Adorama is still selling the complete HE560 headband for $9.99. The shorter strap size is fine for many heads so you may not have a problem.

Are those gonna be bigger than the he560 v2 headband?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #20,767 of 21,175
I have been using HE560 with burson conductor. Nothing to complain there and I really like the combination on my desktop. Which portable amps are good options to try for traveling?

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #20,768 of 21,175
...Which portable amps are good options to try for traveling?
I like HE-560 very much with my AlgoRhythm Duet. But I've been able to drop external amp with my Plenue II Mk 2.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #20,769 of 21,175
Does anybody know how the JDS atom with the he560 do?

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #20,770 of 21,175
Got my adorma he560 v2. The v2 headband strap fits perfectly fine but might just upgrade to the v3 because it’s just $10. Does anybody know how to take the headband off and swap to the v3?

Also wow.... I never heard the wooden he560’a but these adorma he560 are just wow really really loving it even with my magni 2 but it can hardly drive it but it’s still amazing!

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #20,772 of 21,175
Almost 4 years with the he560. Mine's v2 i think. The one with veneer and smc jacks.

Here are somethings i'd like to share about it.

1. It needs burn in. Almost sold mine because it sounded thin, harsh and lifeless out of the box.
2. It needs a powerful amp. It will sound harsh with low powered amps.
3. Sounds wonderful with mods. I changed mine to open grills and thicker pleather pads. The soundstage became wider, deeper bass and detailed highs.

Things i don't like about it.

1. My ear pads and headband pads only lasted a few months. It cracked and flatened. Can't be used anymore.

2. Cable is flimsy. The braid starts tearing near the connectors.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #20,773 of 21,175
Almost 4 years with the he560. Mine's v2 i think. The one with veneer and smc jacks.

Here are somethings i'd like to share about it.

1. It needs burn in. Almost sold mine because it sounded thin, harsh and lifeless out of the box.
2. It needs a powerful amp. It will sound harsh with low powered amps.
3. Sounds wonderful with mods. I changed mine to open grills and thicker pleather pads. The soundstage became wider, deeper bass and detailed highs.

Things i don't like about it.

1. My ear pads and headband pads only lasted a few months. It cracked and flatened. Can't be used anymore.

2. Cable is flimsy. The braid starts tearing near the connectors.

My experience with both of my V2 (wood veneer + SMC jacks) didn't have any burn-in effect, both sounded great right out of the box. I got them about 6 months apart so when I compared the new one to the old one there was no difference in sound so my conclusion is there was no burn-in.

Ear pads on both are still in great condition but then they don't get heavy use and I did bend the headbands so the clamping pressure is quite a bit less. IIRC the ear pads used to press against each other when I first got them but after bending the headband there is about 5mm space between them now. This is one reason I think some had issues with the ear pads and iirc there was a point where many had issues with their ear pads failing quite quickly, around the time when the SMC jacks were being phased out in favor of 2.5mm jacks.

The notion of a powerful amp depends in part on how loud one listens. Since I listen at fairly low levels (65-75dB) I can get great sound with the headphone jack of my UD301 which is only 100mw. Another thing I noticed is that the HE560 is a bit picky when it comes to amps and its not a power thing since to me mine sound better on my UD301 100mw headphone jack output than my Ember (2W), but does sound quite good on my Lyr2 so to me it depends on the amps design and not just power output.

Agree that a more open grill helps

I haven't used the stock cables so I don't know if they are good or bad

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #20,774 of 21,175
My HE560s came in yesterday, not really sure how I feel about them; I definitely need to give them more time.

If I were to itemize their sound characteristics I would say they do virtually everything better than the Sundara. But they don't seem as cohesive, so I'm not over the moon about them like I was the Sundara.

The treble seems a bit uneven, but I can't really nail down where the issue lies exactly. Some songs sound really dark on these, and other songs sound a bit sibilant. It's a total mixed back. The plus side is there's an absurd amount of detail here, without being overbearing. Not quite up to the level of my K812, but close, and without the crazy levels of brightness the K812 can sometimes have.

Bass is very impressive though, and definitely a step up from the Sundara. They're almost to the level of the HE-500.

These are also immensely inefficient. The specs would suggest the HE-500 are harder to get to volume, but they're not. With the HE-500 I'm running about -15db on my TA-ZH1ES, but on these it's more like -10 to -5. Both on low gain. I can go full-blast on high gain and not cause any serious discomfort. I can see why they come with a balanced cable: you need every last bit of gain you can get.

I ordered the V2, but I actually got a V3, so that's kind of neat.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #20,775 of 21,175
My HE560s came in yesterday, not really sure how I feel about them; I definitely need to give them more time.

If I were to itemize their sound characteristics I would say they do virtually everything better than the Sundara. But they don't seem as cohesive, so I'm not over the moon about them like I was the Sundara.

The treble seems a bit uneven, but I can't really nail down where the issue lies exactly. Some songs sound really dark on these, and other songs sound a bit sibilant. It's a total mixed back. The plus side is there's an absurd amount of detail here, without being overbearing. Not quite up to the level of my K812, but close, and without the crazy levels of brightness the K812 can sometimes have.

Bass is very impressive though, and definitely a step up from the Sundara. They're almost to the level of the HE-500.

These are also immensely inefficient. The specs would suggest the HE-500 are harder to get to volume, but they're not. With the HE-500 I'm running about -15db on my TA-ZH1ES, but on these it's more like -10 to -5. Both on low gain. I can go full-blast on high gain and not cause any serious discomfort. I can see why they come with a balanced cable: you need every last bit of gain you can get.

I ordered the V2, but I actually got a V3, so that's kind of neat.

yeah I believe I got the v3 as well when I ordered the v2. I think the he560 are in the bright side. The bass is punchy and very nice. It has enough power on the Atom+d10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back