= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 24, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #20,776 of 21,173
My HE560s came in yesterday, not really sure how I feel about them; I definitely need to give them more time.

If I were to itemize their sound characteristics I would say they do virtually everything better than the Sundara. But they don't seem as cohesive, so I'm not over the moon about them like I was the Sundara.

The treble seems a bit uneven, but I can't really nail down where the issue lies exactly. Some songs sound really dark on these, and other songs sound a bit sibilant. It's a total mixed back. The plus side is there's an absurd amount of detail here, without being overbearing. Not quite up to the level of my K812, but close, and without the crazy levels of brightness the K812 can sometimes have.

Bass is very impressive though, and definitely a step up from the Sundara. They're almost to the level of the HE-500.

These are also immensely inefficient. The specs would suggest the HE-500 are harder to get to volume, but they're not. With the HE-500 I'm running about -15db on my TA-ZH1ES, but on these it's more like -10 to -5. Both on low gain. I can go full-blast on high gain and not cause any serious discomfort. I can see why they come with a balanced cable: you need every last bit of gain you can get.

I ordered the V2, but I actually got a V3, so that's kind of neat.

Once you've had enough time with them, I would like to hear your impressions on the difference between the HE-500 and the Sundara in more detail if possible.

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #20,777 of 21,173
I got some HE5se coming in the mail today, so it'll be interesting to throw those into the mix. I've got more concrete impressions on these now, though.

I still don't like them as much as the Sundara, and I think I know why: they're very dry sounding. They're flat to a fault, with the exception of that peak in their treble that I still can't quite nail down. I'm awful at zeroing on treble frequencies...

Their soundstage is also a fair bit smaller than the Sundara and HE-500. Everything you hear is tighter and more intimate, which to me wouldn't be a problem if the center image was bigger. I feel like if there was a boost to the upper mid range it would give the headphones a lot more character not just in its tonality but it's imaging.

Bass quality and quantity are good; I feel they split the difference between the Sundara and HE-500. The Sundara is a touch on the lean side, the HE-500 is a bit on the boosted side, and the HE-560 is about neutral.

I could really see this headphone being a proper studio headphone, even moreso than the HD800 or K812, thanks to how flat and detailed it is, but it makes listening to music less than engaging to me. I could see this headphone being someone's pride and joy, but it's just not for me.

So for pure musical enjoyment, the ranking is HE-500 > Sundara > HE-560.

EDIT: Just did a frequency sweep, and it was remarkably easy to nail down where the spike is: it's in the 7khz range.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #20,778 of 21,173
The HE5se... Now this is a headphone! Talk about trading blows with the HE-500! I remember when these and the HE-560 were readily available on Amazon for around the same price people were steering others toward the HE-560. Huge mistake. I think the HE5se is a far better headphone; it covers most of technical bases, but offers a sweeter mid range and treble, plus slightly boosted bass. And the soundstage is vastly bigger than the 560, and even bigger than the Sundara and HE-500.

Whenever a headphone gets a poor review from a reviewer, there's always a knee-jerk reaction to say that reviewer just got a defective sample, and I've always hated it. It's basically an excuse to say someone is wrong without giving an actual, thought out rebuttal. Most notably, Zeos really panned these, so I just kind of wrote them off, since a lot of his tastes fall in line with my own. But I'm kinda feeling like he might have actually gotten a dud... :thinking:

I'm not ready to declare it to be better than the HE-500 overall, but it's definitely leaving a strong first impression! And to think: I got these for only $200. I feel like I absolutely stole them for that price.

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #20,779 of 21,173
The HE5se... Now this is a headphone! Talk about trading blows with the HE-500! I remember when these and the HE-560 were readily available on Amazon for around the same price people were steering others toward the HE-560. Huge mistake. I think the HE5se is a far better headphone; it covers most of technical bases, but offers a sweeter mid range and treble, plus slightly boosted bass. And the soundstage is vastly bigger than the 560, and even bigger than the Sundara and HE-500.

Whenever a headphone gets a poor review from a reviewer, there's always a knee-jerk reaction to say that reviewer just got a defective sample, and I've always hated it. It's basically an excuse to say someone is wrong without giving an actual, thought out rebuttal. Most notably, Zeos really panned these, so I just kind of wrote them off, since a lot of his tastes fall in line with my own. But I'm kinda feeling like he might have actually gotten a dud... :thinking:

I'm not ready to declare it to be better than the HE-500 overall, but it's definitely leaving a strong first impression! And to think: I got these for only $200. I feel like I absolutely stole them for that price.

Do you know if the HE5se's were sold thru Adorama? I did have a pair of those for a few months, and just based on that one and my 500, there is no comparison, my 500 stomped it in every way possible. Seriously there wasn't one thing it did better - for me (doc'd by me in great detail in the HE5SE thread) I had the Alara, HE5LE, HE500, HD600, HEX v2, and in house at the same time and the HE5SE was far and away the can I liked least. I'd say based on your finding and mine, try and audition before you buy.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #20,780 of 21,173
Not sure where they were purchase from; I got them used from a head-fier.

If I did have one critique of them I feel their bass isn't as well-extended as a planar magnetic's should be. It's not poor, it just reminds me of a really good dynamic headphone.

What were the issues you had with their sound?

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #20,781 of 21,173

If I did have one critique of them I feel their bass isn't as well-extended as a planar magnetic's should be. It's not poor, it just reminds me of a really good dynamic headphone.

It is pretty bad bass for a planar. My 560 remind me of planar 650s.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #20,782 of 21,173

It does actually have great bass extension even below 20hz. You're probably talking about impact.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #20,783 of 21,173
It is pretty bad bass for a planar. My 560 remind me of planar 650s.

The HE560 has way better bass extension compared to the HD650. The midbass on the HD650 on the other hand has more impact and bloom (too much for me).

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #20,784 of 21,173
It does actually have great bass extension even below 20hz. You're probably talking about impact.
To be clear, I was talking about the HE5se, as discussed with the previous post. The HE-560 does indeed have fantastic bass extension.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #20,785 of 21,173
To be clear, I was talking about the HE5se, as discussed with the previous post. The HE-560 does indeed have fantastic bass extension.

Ah, I'm sorry I didn't realize that. My bad :wink:

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #20,786 of 21,173
OK - HE5SE (mine). the bass on mine was quick and tuneful but started to roll off at 70 Hz, and be essentially gone by 35 Hz. Highs uneven, overall brash/bright - nearly as wild as the HE5LE, and well more than the Ananda. However the detail in the treble is lacking - IE the edge stands out, but does not bring expected detail with it. I found the mids AND treble to be very weak in expressing harmonics (which is strange for a HFM that has ringing in the treble). It's like the leading 85% of the note is produced correctly, then they slap a mute on the final 15% - even stranger when the treble is overly bountiful.

I updated cables (the stock ones bite) and pads to no great results. They were best on Custom Cans XLR (UK) and my favorite pads - Ether Angled. I found that after 4 months, well over 150 hours break-in, and at least 120 hours of listening on my Rag 1/Gumby 1, that it was less pleasing (but less colored than the MD 4XX), they never for one second sound like real music - unlike the fairly strident HE5LE which do sound great 15-20% of the time, lesser than the Alara, Fostex FH500RP - and not to be mentioned with my HE-500 or HEX v2. I bought the HE6SE which I don't like much after, so I didn't do head to head. But I did have the HE-6 on loan for two weeks and it as expected slugged the HE5SE. Soundstage was nothing great either. Just a clean and threadbare corpse of a can (my version).

I've heard good reviews from quite a few, and bummer reviews from people with the latter revisions. I got them for $299 new and it's in the 2nd worse deal I've made on a can. I won't mention #1 to avoid starting any wars.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #20,787 of 21,173
the he560 are pretty bright sounding imo. What changes could i make to tame the brightness?

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #20,788 of 21,173
the he560 are pretty bright sounding imo. What changes could i make to tame the brightness?

Tubes? Although I really love ny Burson Conductor V2+ I do prefer the HE560 with my ancient Advance Acoustic tube dac (using some NOS mullard tubes but can't remember the exact model heere and now) and the V2+ just doing the amplifying.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #20,789 of 21,173

I am on the same boat - my HE560 sound overly bright to me. Using them with a Schiit Magni 3.
I am looking for an upgrade in the amp, but opinions on the net vary quite a lot. Some people say to get a warmer amp (don't know which though), some say to just get a lot of power (Drop THX? What else?). According to some even a JDS Labs Atom would be enough, since Schiit are crap and the Atom would be cleaner, hence not as bright. Overall people say valve / tube amps are not good for planars, but I have friends who tested the HE560 with a Darkvoice and said it's a good combination.
Really don't know how to fix that brightness and not spend too much on an amp.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #20,790 of 21,173
I am on the same boat - my HE560 sound overly bright to me. Using them with a Schiit Magni 3.
I am looking for an upgrade in the amp, but opinions on the net vary quite a lot. Some people say to get a warmer amp (don't know which though), some say to just get a lot of power (Drop THX? What else?). According to some even a JDS Labs Atom would be enough, since Schiit are crap and the Atom would be cleaner, hence not as bright. Overall people say valve / tube amps are not good for planars, but I have friends who tested the HE560 with a Darkvoice and said it's a good combination.
Really don't know how to fix that brightness and not spend too much on an amp.

The V2+ does definitely have more than enough power for the HE560 and still I prefer my tube dac. Another pairing that I thoroughly enjoy with the HE560 is the DAC on the V2+ paired with Project Ember II so in my experience tubes are really nice to have somewhere in the chain if one find the HE560 bright. Maybe a hybrid tube amp?

Another cheap suggestion is the E1DA PowerDAC V2, it's on the warm side and has great synergy with the HE560. It does also have a app based eq that people who use eq seem to be very happy with. It does only come with balanced output though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back