= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 7, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #16,951 of 21,171
Left driver died on my 560's. Really bummed out. Wasn't even pushing the hard. Shipped them out yesterday. First problem I've had with hifiman phones. Oh well

After many LCD deaths, finally I see the Hifiman death :)

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #16,953 of 21,171
Ok folks,

So I've spent some time last night(7 hours) , going through a massive amount of music with the 560's.

Here's the rig thrown at them:
Lappy>Fidelizer Pro or Android phone> UAPP >Singxer X-1(USB bridge)>Theta Pro Prime IIA>Schiit Mjolnir.

All music streamed through Tidal , and Spotify. Of course my dac is limited, so everything was reduced to 16/44.1

Cans that I've previously owned:
Sennheiser: 600,650,700,800
Hifiman: he500

Well, what can I say. The HE560 , is everything that I hoped it would be, and then some. What this can delivers in sound is nothing short of breathtaking!
In my journey of purchasing cans , I was never completely satisfied with what I was hearing. Take for instance, the HD800. The surgeon of all cans! Infinite space , and precision! Ming boggling for orchestra, and percussion. But I always felt things were way to spaced out. Artificial in a way.

Then there's the HE500. The meat monster! Lol. Rich , organic midrange, bass , that will rattle your chicklets. But to me , they seemed to get congested with critical passages, and I always felt like the sound was too closed in for the most part. But I loved the holographic nature they presented. I just wish they had more space. I tried every mod possible, and nothing could satisfy.

So.....my quest was to find something that could incorporate the HD800 , and the HE500. A morphing if you will. So previously owning the 600, and the 650, they didn't foot the bill. So I pointed straight to the HD700 , after reading through 100's of pages of comparisons and reviews. Aaaaaand, notta! The HD700, an awesome can, did deliver somewhat of a morph of what I was looking for, but was closer to the 800's , and lacked the meat of the HE500. They hit pretty hard, but lacked the fullness, and richness, in the midrange.

Enter the HE560. I've read , and read, and read about this can for quite some time. Kicking myself in the arse now, for not committing sooner! What these cans do is simply astounding! They have everything, and I mean everything ,that I was searching for! They carry the space and articulation of the HD800, but not over doing it. They carry the richness, and meat of the HE500, but better.

There's a center focus to the HE560 , that I've never heard in any previous can to date. The only one to come close was the HD650.
The HE560 , are absolutely balanced from top to bottom. There's not one aspect of music that overpowers the rest of the spectrum. Loud horns are equal to the smallest nuance, in the mix. The space , and intimacy of the music are perfectly blended. It's insanity, that you get most of the air from the 800's, and all that fatty goodness from the HE500's. On top of that, the center imaging, creates an extremely detailed , 3D, holographic presentation. The depth of these cans is like no other I've heard. Music is presented in a 360 degree sphere, with an endless background for note decay. The emotional conviction produced by the 560's , is a near religious experience!

Well folks. That's about the sum of it. I didn't want to bog the thread with repetitive terms that everyone has heard before. Basically this post is a nutshell feeling, and comparison.

These cans are magical, and everything, and then some, that I hoped for! I don't forsee any moves in the near future for cans. These are definitely the cats arse! Lol

First I want to thank @sil3nce , for recommending these cans, and the stellar review. You absolutely nailed it!

For anyone looking for a perfectly balanced can. Imo , these are it.

As everyone knows. This is a subjective opinion, of what my ears are telling me. No I don't have any empirical data to back my claims on what I'm hearing either. Lol. YMMV

With all that said. Rock on people!

Out,
Sam

Thanks for your impressions. How would you rate the comfort of the HE560 compared to the HD650 or HD800?

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #16,956 of 21,171
  Thanks for your impressions. How would you rate the comfort of the HE560 compared to the HD650 or HD800?

Comfort is about the same for all three but different type of comfort.

HD-650, once I bent the sliders a touch sit nice and tend to disappear after a few minutes

HD-800, light clamping force, sometimes too light and for some the padding on the top is insufficient and creates a hot spot there since the clamping force is too light to transfer some of the weight to the sides

HE-560, also bent it out a touch so the pads where not smashing together all the time which makes the clamping force just about perfect for me and the suspension system distributes the weight evenly over a large portion of my head.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #16,957 of 21,171
  Comfort is about the same for all three but different type of comfort.

HD-650, once I bent the sliders a touch sit nice and tend to disappear after a few minutes

HD-800, light clamping force, sometimes too light and for some the padding on the top is insufficient and creates a hot spot there since the clamping force is too light to transfer some of the weight to the sides

HE-560, also bent it out a touch so the pads where not smashing together all the time which makes the clamping force just about perfect for me and the suspension system distributes the weight evenly over a large portion of my head.

Perfect summary of the comfort differences. Wearing the 800S now and the clamping force does almost feel in need of more grip, but it does seem to seal really well despite this.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #16,958 of 21,171
I've had numerous hifiman phones. Never had any issues. Definitely not like the lcd's

Somewhat ironic don't you think given that many people still equate Chinese production with lower quality and reliability versus say American production? My LCD2F arrived with a faulty left driver right out of the box. The replacement has been perfect mind you.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #16,959 of 21,171
  Somewhat ironic don't you think given that many people still equate Chinese production with lower quality and reliability versus say American production? My LCD2F arrived with a faulty left driver right out of the box. The replacement has been perfect mind you.

Stuff produced in China did really used to be garbage in quality and reliability, but I think that stereotype is long past its prime. There's some really good stuff these days coming out of China. Much of the time, it's only produced there, not designed there. But even things designed and produced in China are a far cry these days compared to a few years ago.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #16,960 of 21,171
I've dealt with 6 hifiman headphones/iems and only had issue with the re400 due to a faulty cable after months of abuse. Got a warranty on it and everything went smooth.

My first ownership of an Audeze (Sine) the driver goes out. Luckily the warranty is good but goes to show the odds from one perspective for defects.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #16,962 of 21,171
I am on my second pair of 560s, the right driver quit on me with moderate use in my rotation.

Also on my second pair of the 400i, same problem. (both quit within the warranty)

I have had no issues with the older models (HE 6, 4, 500, 400) with much heavier use.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #16,963 of 21,171
I am on my second pair of 560s, the right driver quit on me with moderate use in my rotation.

Also on my second pair of the 400i, same problem. (both quit within the warranty)

I have had no issues with the older models (HE 6, 4, 500, 400) with much heavier use.
This makes me feel better. As I immediately thought about my he6 when my 560 failed. Especially considering the enormous amounts of current being thrown at these things. My 560's were just 4 months out of warranty. Repair cost is 145.00 shipping included. I'm thinking seriously about parting ways with them when they return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back