HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #14,521 of 20,374
The product to which you link says protein leather earpads, aka. not real leather. We call them pleathers.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #14,522 of 20,374
The product to which you link says protein leather earpads, aka. not real leather. We call them pleathers.

You're right, after doing some research, Protein Leather is not real leather. A different approach at calling a sow's ear, a silk purse. I still think they are very comfortable.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #14,523 of 20,374
I currently have leather earpads on my he-500, but have been meaning to make some velour ones, just haven't gotten around to it. I like velour comfort, leather sound.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #14,524 of 20,374
Speaking of mixing pleather and velour, I've just made v.1 jergpads, and I'm working up the courage to go up to v2.5. The v.1 pads are a definite improvement over the stock pads. I think the modded pads tightened up the bass a bit, and the mids extend into the treble more smoothly. I did some pretty extreme angling on the pads too, which noticeably improved the soundstage. I highly recommend making some jergpads.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #14,526 of 20,374
Also HiFi, it isn't necessarily that people don't agree with you on things, but honestly you claim that you hear differences with all cables, seemingly. I know from personal experience that I hear no difference between stock, DHC,.and the diy ones I've made with single conductor solid copper wire. And almost always you rate things according to their price point. It is hard to take your cable experiences as credible when you are so consistent. At some point you must have ran into a cable that was more expensive that sounded worse, or sounded identical, but I never see that. But no one said this hobby must have consensus opinions. People in some threads have questioned the validity of my own claims of hearing up to and exceeding 20khz, albeit just barely.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #14,527 of 20,374
Also HiFi, it isn't necessarily that people don't agree with you on things, but honestly you claim that you hear differences with all cables, seemingly. I know from personal experience that I hear no difference between stock, DHC,.and the diy ones I've made with single conductor solid copper wire. And almost always you rate things according to their price point. It is hard to take your cable experiences as credible when you are so consistent. At some point you must have ran into a cable that was more expensive that sounded worse, or sounded identical, but I never see that. But no one said this hobby must have consensus opinions. People in some threads have questioned the validity of my own claims of hearing up to and exceeding 20khz, albeit just barely.

Yes i did come scross with a cable that was more expensive but worse sounding....and as u maybe saw..i dont have silver cables..although they are far more expensive they just dont sound right in my rig..at least the ones i tried..but i dont like to mention a brand in a negative way... Principals....and no..more expensive is in no way my selection criteria...and if u read right u will see it was not all sunshine what i wrote bout my new cable... And another thing..check the he560 thread..and maybe u then see why u maybe dont hear differences between all ur cables...check last pages... Have fun reading :wink:

And ps..i dont post to be credible..thats up to u guys..i post out of honesty and own personal experience...but always with respect..if i dont like something i try to avoid the issue..as it could affect their sales or reputation..

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #14,528 of 20,374
Does anyone know the stock HE-500 "silver" cable is indeed pure silver or just silver plated copper?

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #14,529 of 20,374
Does anyone know the stock HE-500 "silver" cable is indeed pure silver or just silver plated copper?
silver plated copper

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #14,530 of 20,374
silver plated copper

Thanks! Then I shall proceed to get some ultra thin gauge silver wires to make myself some replacement cables. The stock cable sounds nice but the microphonic is just too much.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #14,531 of 20,374

Thanks! Then I shall proceed to get some ultra thin gauge silver wires to make myself some replacement cables. The stock cable sounds nice but the microphonic is just too much.

Perhaps putting a sleeve around the cable you already have would solve the issue for you. Maybe Paracord has sleeving that would help. Thurston probably knows what to get.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #14,532 of 20,374
  Perhaps putting a sleeve around the cable you already have would solve the issue for you. Maybe Paracord has sleeving that would help. Thurston probably knows what to get.

I only sleeved my original HE-500 cable with Techflex noise reduction stuff.  It didn't really solve the problem, just reduced it a bit.  The cable is still quite stiff, due to the Teflon coating.  If I were inclined to use that cable and redo the sleeving, I'd probably opt for 550 paracord, esp. from the Y split to the cans.  That might offer enough room inside to really dull the microphonics.  I know with an AKG cable I made that with the paracord pulled too tightly around the wires, it's microphonic.  That's what I base my guess on.

Now you make me want to redo that cable!

FWIW, sleeving the stock HE-500 cable is kind of a PITA.  You really need to snip it, add the sleeving in both directions, rig something to hide the Y split (e.g., a ballpoint pen tube), heat shrink... oh yeah, and re-solder after busting out the multi-meter and marking the wires.  I did it because it was a good test project.  And now I use my DIY cables exclusively.  LOL.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #14,533 of 20,374

I only sleeved my original HE-500 cable with Techflex noise reduction stuff.  It didn't really solve the problem, just reduced it a bit.  The cable is still quite stiff, due to the Teflon coating.  If I were inclined to use that cable and redo the sleeving, I'd probably opt for 550 paracord, esp. from the Y split to the cans.  That might offer enough room inside to really dull the microphonics.  I know with an AKG cable I made that with the paracord pulled too tightly around the wires, it's microphonic.  That's what I base my guess on.

Now you make me want to redo that cable!

FWIW, sleeving the stock HE-500 cable is kind of a PITA.  You really need to snip it, add the sleeving in both directions, rig something to hide the Y split (e.g., a ballpoint pen tube), heat shrink... oh yeah, and re-solder after busting out the multi-meter and marking the wires.  I did it because it was a good test project.  And now I use my DIY cables exclusively.  LOL.

Seriously, you should consider making custom cables. I'll bet Hifi wants one.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #14,534 of 20,374
  Seriously, you should consider making custom cables. I'll bet Hifi wants one.

It'd take too much time and effort to really perfect the process and offer all the different sorts of cables people would want.  I enjoy it as a challenge from which I derive some direct benefit.  Also, there are so many cable companies out there, they can have that territory.  I'll continue to be the "teach a man to fish" sort of DIYer.

Still, I'm copyrighting Magick Monkey Cables, and if I see it out there, anywhere, I'll be on the warpath 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #14,535 of 20,374

It'd take too much time and effort to really perfect the process and offer all the different sorts of cables people would want.  I enjoy it as a challenge from which I derive some direct benefit.  Also, there are so many cable companies out there, they can have that territory.  I'll continue to be the "teach a man to fish" sort of DIYer.

Still, I'm copyrighting Magick Monkey Cables, and if I see it out there, anywhere, I'll be on the warpath 
wink.gif

Maybe you can provide some standard models for specific cans and avoid all the customization hassles, other than length. There is the FS forum as a sales vehicle. Could be a means of feeding your problem with HAS (Headphone Acquisition Syndrome).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back