HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #14,491 of 20,386
  would the topping with the line level attenuator also work with more sensitive headphones or are they a one trick pony for hifiman cans ?
more sensitive ie. in the 95-102db range at 32ohms, noise issues? would the headphone drivers blow up ? would they at least become toasty after a few minutes of listening ?
redface.gif

I'd only use it with the HE series; with the exception of the 300. Be it science, religion, or voodoo, its sound with the HE-500 is cult inducing. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Foot-Custom-HifiMan-Headphone-Cable-Soft-Version-1-4-TRS-Plug-/111434967796?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item19f20aaaf4

I purchased that cable and have been very happy with it. It's made by our own wje. Really solid cable with 0 microphonics. 

Sounds good, OFC sounds like a nice change

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #14,492 of 20,386
Finally got my hands on the coveted HE-500 and I have to say, I am very impressed. You know you have a great headphone in your hands when you feel like you are rediscovering music all over again 
smily_headphones1.gif
 The huge wall of sound it can convey is amazing and I know this has probably been said thousands of times but the bass, mid range and extension on the treble are amazing to my ears. I spent the night going through my playlist and hearing it excel at everything: Classical, Jazz, Rock, Electronic, Vocals. The sound feel BIG and FULL. 

Obviously I have a serious case of New Toy Syndrome but The last time I was this blown away was when I had the HD 650. I still can't believe I sold it but the journey Head-FI has taken me on has been a mind opening (blowing) experience. I've even slowly been converting my friends or at east showing them that components make a difference. I'm not sure that I can convince them to drop the cash for something like a HE-500 but i'd be happy with something like V-moda or Sennheiser Momentums and the like. 

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the one. Next stop HD 800 (My Dream Headphone). 

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #14,493 of 20,386
  Finally got my hands on the coveted HE-500 and I have to say, I am very impressed. You know you have a great headphone in your hands when you feel like you are rediscovering music all over again 
smily_headphones1.gif
 The huge wall of sound it can convey is amazing and I know this has probably been said thousands of times but the bass, mid range and extension on the treble are amazing to my ears. I spent the night going through my playlist and hearing it excel at everything: Classical, Jazz, Rock, Electronic, Vocals. The sound feel BIG and FULL. 

Obviously I have a serious case of New Toy Syndrome but The last time I was this blown away was when I had the HD 650. I still can't believe I sold it but the journey Head-FI has taken me on has been a mind opening (blowing) experience. I've even slowly been converting my friends or at east showing them that components make a difference. I'm not sure that I can convince them to drop the cash for something like a HE-500 but i'd be happy with something like V-moda or Sennheiser Momentums and the like. 

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the one. Next stop HD 800 (My Dream Headphone). 

have you heard the HD800s ?

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #14,494 of 20,386
@johnman1116

Wall-of-sound.... thank you!  I was driving myself a little crazy trying to differentiate the HE-500s from the HE-560s.  It's been fun to listen to the HE-500s for the past few days, having been forced to abandon them when my second pair went wonky.  The wall-of-sound factor kind of equates to a more spread out sound, which can become a beautiful wash of sound, but details are still there.  Quite different from the detail-oriented HE-560s.  The latter do have a better bass response, IMO, as the HE-500s can be a little rolled off or set back a bit in that gorgeous wash of sound.  But when there's sub-bass present (I always like to test the response with "Stoney Street" by Amon Tobin), the HE-500s can rumble nearly as well as the HE-560s.  The difference is a small thing.

Of course, the mods I did are affecting the sound from the stock configuration.

Anyway, nice score, glad you're digging them 
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #14,496 of 20,386
  The sound feel BIG and FULL. 

Thats what impressed me also from the first minute, the grand and full sound. About 6 months later i still get blown away by them.
My HP before the he-500 were the AKG K501 which were good but unfortunately almost no bass. Anyway the K501 are outclassed by the Hifiman in about every aspect. I just miss the small weight of the AKG Headphones

I can say that the biggest improvement in soundquality i got from the HE-500, then the DAC.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #14,497 of 20,386
Hey guys is this a good cable to buy for the HE-6/HE-500 at an affordable price? I am looking for a beater cable that has very good value for the quality I am receiving. I already have high grade xlr cables so I'm not looking for endgame sound/quality. So is this a good beater cable option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-400-HE-500-Headphone-Cable-Furutech-Upgrade-Cable-/111179732394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e2d415aa

If not, where else can I get cheap but durable and good cables? 

I posted this in the HE-6 thread but would like to see what HE-500 fans recommend as well. Thanks. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #14,498 of 20,386
  Hey guys is this a good cable to buy for the HE-6/HE-500 at an affordable price? I am looking for a beater cable that has very good value for the quality I am receiving. I already have high grade xlr cables so I'm not looking for endgame sound/quality. So is this a good beater cable option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-400-HE-500-Headphone-Cable-Furutech-Upgrade-Cable-/111179732394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e2d415aa

If not, where else can I get cheap but durable and good cables? 

I posted this in the HE-6 thread but would like to see what HE-500 fans recommend as well. Thanks. 

Here's what I posted to another guy up the page looking at the exact cable, "It looks like pretty decent cable and I like that they give you options for the connector and colors. With a 99.8% approval rating I'd say gofer it."

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #14,499 of 20,386
I found Jerg's review of 400i and 560 a bit overly enthusiastic on the new models. Many reviewers in the Chinese forums think the HE400i is a definite improvement over the HE400 but not quite at the HE500 level. The single side magnet drivers of the 400i still cannot match the precise control of the HE500 dual side magnet drivers for intrument separation and layering.

Many Chinese reviewers think the HE500 and HE560 are about equal in sound quality, just having different sound signature like the DT880 comparing to the DT990.

I agree. I heard both the 400i and 560 at the HK AV Show and both running off the EF-6.

To say that the 400i exceeds the 500 is a statement of hope rather than fact. And I'm not quite sure why there are some suggestions that the 560 is on the same level as the HE-6... except that the HE-6 wasn't being driven properly. :)

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #14,500 of 20,386
I agree. I heard both the 400i and 560 at the HK AV Show and both running off the EF-6.

To say that the 400i exceeds the 500 is a statement of hope rather than fact. And I'm not quite sure why there are some suggestions that the 560 is on the same level as the HE-6... except that the HE-6 wasn't being driven properly.
smily_headphones1.gif

he-6 and "driven properly" in the same sentence....the end is nigh I tell you 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #14,501 of 20,386
Thanks roadcykler, I'll get one of those cables. Anyone know if there's any cheaper alternatives that won't disintegrate in your hands? Is $50 for HE cables as low as it possibly can go? 
Remember that I just want some beater cables. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #14,503 of 20,386
Have you? The HE-500 and HD800 both have their strengths, the HD800 is amazing with synergetic gear. 
Two headphones that sound excellent, each in its own way, very, very well complementing each other.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #14,504 of 20,386
  you don't really want to get cheapo cables for your headphone, right ? 
frown.gif

I think it's important to distinguish "cheap" from "inexpensive".  My DIY cables use Mogami W2799 with Neutrik and HiFiMAN connectors.  They are certainly inexpensive, but I put them head-to-head with my fancy schmancy type 2 Litz cryo-treated copper cable (it's a nice enough cable, to be sure), and I can't hear a difference.  I know DIY isn't for everyone, but just because something is inexpensive doesn't mean it's cheap - as in, poorly made and not worth the money, no matter how low the cost.

I'm happy to admit that I don't have experience with the SPC cables from eBay in question.  That's why I'm curious to hear what actual owners have to say about them.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #14,505 of 20,386

I think it's important to distinguish "cheap" from "inexpensive".  My DIY cables use Mogami W2799 with Neutrik and HiFiMAN connectors.  They are certainly inexpensive, but I put them head-to-head with my fancy schmancy type 2 Litz cryo-treated copper cable (it's a nice enough cable, to be sure), and I can't hear a difference.  I know DIY isn't for everyone, but just because something is inexpensive doesn't mean it's cheap - as in, poorly made and not worth the money, no matter how low the cost.

I'm happy to admit that I don't have experience with the SPC cables from eBay in question.  That's why I'm curious to hear what actual owners have to say about them.

Where can I get the supplies for these "inexpensive" cables? I am not averse at all to DIY. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back