HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #14,446 of 20,374
Attach a pulley to the ceiling with a cable, put the he-500 on one end and a 500g weight on the other, now your headphones weigh virtually nothing!

Brilliant!

If that isn't a project for The Laboratory, I don't know what is.

Probably the only things you can do to increase the comfort is buy or make a cushioned pad for the headband, and try different pads, if the stocks aren't doing it for you.  The latter allows you to tailor the sound somewhat (see: jergpads, et al.).  And don't forget to post pix of your pulley system 
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #14,447 of 20,374
Well, before I bought the HE-500 I also had concern on the 500+gram weight. But it turned out I can wear it for 2+ hours without any problem with the stock head band without putting on any additional padding. I think the key is to make sure to the head band curve around the contour of your head without creating high pressure points. You can band the head band to adjust the curve to fit your head better.

That said, I am a motorcycle rider and is used to wear "ultra light" Kevler/carbon composite helmet weighing at least 1.2 Kg...   

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #14,448 of 20,374
I absolutely love my HE-500 sound, but this headphone is too heavy for extended listening. Anyone have thoughts on ways to make it lighter or more comfortable?
I use a Sennheiser HD555 foam from its headband. I use it on all HE headphones and even on HD800.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #14,450 of 20,374

If that isn't a project for The Laboratory, I don't know what is.

Probably the only things you can do to increase the comfort is buy or make a cushioned pad for the headband, and try different pads, if the stocks aren't doing it for you.  The latter allows you to tailor the sound somewhat (see: jergpads, et al.).  And don't forget to post pix of your pulley system 
wink.gif

Helium balloons, you can also take a hit and do the Alvin and the Chipmunks routine to entertain Luvi.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #14,451 of 20,374
Helium balloons, you can also take a hit and do the Alvin and the Chipmunks routine to entertain Luvi.

I was initially going to say this but we are already losing too much precious helium that is better spent in research than balloons, I like to keep my ideas ecofriendly :xf_eek:

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #14,452 of 20,374
I was initially going to say this but we are already losing too much precious helium that is better spent in research than balloons, I like to keep my ideas ecofriendly
redface.gif

Well, we do have an excess of methane, only that won't float. Got to stop feeding beans to the cows and give them wireless headphones so they can listen to soothing music. 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #14,453 of 20,374

Damn!  Gonna need a bigger Lab...  Fortunately, Luvi is easily amused by my antics.  If, however, my repertoire starts to get a little stale, I'll go to the Alvin routine.

On topic, my THIRD pair of HE-500s is on the FedEx truck as I type.  I promise I won't destroy these!  I know HFM has been taking some hits recently re: quality control, but my dealings with their customer service over the past few weeks has been great.  Sadly, that doesn't excuse three defective HE-560s going to a fellow Head-Fier.  That is a serious pile o' schiit they need to correct.

Is it too early for a little 
beerchug.gif
  No, I didn't think so.  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #14,454 of 20,374

Damn!  Gonna need a bigger Lab...  Fortunately, Luvi is easily amused by my antics.  If, however, my repertoire starts to get a little stale, I'll go to the Alvin routine.

On topic, my THIRD pair of HE-500s is on the FedEx truck as I type.  I promise I won't destroy these!  I know HFM has been taking some hits recently re: quality control, but my dealings with their customer service over the past few weeks has been great.  Sadly, that doesn't excuse three defective HE-560s going to a fellow Head-Fier.  That is a serious pile o' schiit they need to correct.

Is it too early for a little 
beerchug.gif
  No, I didn't think so.  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Third pair of HE-500's? Now come clean, what evil experiments have you been conducting on them in The Lab.
Knock on wood, I use mine every day and they show no signs of defects.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #14,455 of 20,374
  Third pair of HE-500's? Now come clean, what evil experiments have you been conducting on them in The Lab.
Knock on wood, I use mine every day and they show no signs of defects.

Long story coming your way.  FWIW, my first used pair were fine until things went haywire in The Lab.  I was the third owner, but the claims were that they were not used much; less than a hundred hours total; maybe less than 50.  The second pair were new, and after less than four months the left driver went wonky.  A couple interesting notes about warranty and build quality.  The used pair were from the time they offered a three-year warranty.  Said so right in the booklet.  But the adjustment action on the yoke/gimbals was uneven and a bit sticky, esp. on one side.  The new pair had the one-year warranty, but build-wise were superior.  Of course, the wonky driver rendered all that moot.

Almost time to apply some felt, swap out some grills, and do a little preliminary A/Bing with the HE-560s 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #14,456 of 20,374

Long story coming your way.  FWIW, my first used pair were fine until things went haywire in The Lab.  I was the third owner, but the claims were that they were not used much; less than a hundred hours total; maybe less than 50.  The second pair were new, and after less than four months the left driver went wonky.  A couple interesting notes about warranty and build quality.  The used pair were from the time they offered a three-year warranty.  Said so right in the booklet.  But the adjustment action on the yoke/gimbals was uneven and a bit sticky, esp. on one side.  The new pair had the one-year warranty, but build-wise were superior.  Of course, the wonky driver rendered all that moot.

Almost time to apply some felt, swap out some grills, and do a little preliminary A/Bing with the HE-560s 
darthsmile.gif

Yes we want to find out what you think of the two. Match those volumes carefully.
You think you could make a custom pair of pads that would fit Ross Perot?

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #14,457 of 20,374
  Yes we want to find out what you think of the two. Match those volumes carefully.

You funny man... man 
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #14,458 of 20,374

You funny man... man 
tongue.gif

Hey man, he could've been president. He could invest, he does have big ears and deep pockets

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #14,459 of 20,374
I really wonder how much we could reduce the weight of the he-500, without affecting the sound too much. I'm still going to wait on an he-6 successor or second hand before going to the 560, even though all the reviews are positive, at least not until a price drop. Really more curious how the 400i turns out.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #14,460 of 20,374
I really wonder how much we could reduce the weight of the he-500, without affecting the sound too much. I'm still going to wait on an he-6 successor or second hand before going to the 560, even though all the reviews are positive, at least not until a price drop. Really more curious how the 400i turns out.

I'll take a guess that most of the weight is due to the magnets, which you really don't want to mess with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back