Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 7, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #13,456 of 14,386
I wouldn't consider the TH-X00 a "travel" headphone and they are semi-close and they do leak quite a bit of sound that someone sitting next to you will hear what you are listening to.
I haven't heard the Meze but a few friends that have it like it over the HE400i. I'm curious to what you like about the LCD-2C and how it compares to the HE-400i in terms of bass, sound stage and treble extension.

It's definitely a different sound. The bass is much more in quantity and quality. My layman observation is that the amazing bass reproduction they give is what gives them the LCD "dark color". It's definitely something you can listen to all day and never fatigue. Fit and finish are perfect. No need for any pad rolling or adjustment. Soundstage is narrow to me but very beautiful and soft. That's how I'd rate the treble extension as well. It's definitely better with a slight EQ but without it's just very detailed and easy to listen to with no bright spots. Overall I'm very happy with it and my 400is get little to no head time. The lcd2c just gives me a nice warm full sound that is slightly bass colored. That said I'm thinking of buying a second set.. I am kind of looking for an amazing soundstage can that may be a tad bass light for my acoustic listening. Currently thinking about the focal clear

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #13,457 of 14,386
That's an interesting can, how does it compare to the he-400i? I have both the 400i and some LCD-2C's but I'd like a closed can to travel with. How does it compare to say a THX0
Never really A/B them since they are different beasts but I can do so tomorrow. One thing is the 99C is a lot warmer and more organic sound. It's smooth and detailed. Comfy too.

400i I have Sheepskin Rounds and 99C I have the Sheepskin Oval but I will be getting MRS7 pads for the 99C delivered tomorrow which is supposed to give a different sound sig

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #13,459 of 14,386
It's definitely a different sound. The bass is much more in quantity and quality. My layman observation is that the amazing bass reproduction they give is what gives them the LCD "dark color". It's definitely something you can listen to all day and never fatigue. Fit and finish are perfect. No need for any pad rolling or adjustment. Soundstage is narrow to me but very beautiful and soft. That's how I'd rate the treble extension as well. It's definitely better with a slight EQ but without it's just very detailed and easy to listen to with no bright spots. Overall I'm very happy with it and my 400is get little to no head time. The lcd2c just gives me a nice warm full sound that is slightly bass colored. That said I'm thinking of buying a second set.. I am kind of looking for an amazing soundstage can that may be a tad bass light for my acoustic listening. Currently thinking about the focal clear
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll need to try the LCD-2C one of these days since I've enjoyed listening to a friends LCD-2.2 the few times that I heard them.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #13,460 of 14,386
i have some zmf ori lambskin pads that id like to put on my 400i. Is there a guide online on how to do this? Will I have to Break the plastic inserts on the original pads to get them off or are they easily removable? Also would love to hear if there was a sq upgrade using ori pads

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #13,461 of 14,386
Jan 8, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #13,462 of 14,386
i have some zmf ori lambskin pads that id like to put on my 400i. Is there a guide online on how to do this? Will I have to Break the plastic inserts on the original pads to get them off or are they easily removable? Also would love to hear if there was a sq upgrade using ori pads

You can reuse the same rings. Once you take the pads off, you can undo the mounting ring from the actual pads, just be careful as you need to stretch a part of the pad over the rings. The rings give a bit, take your time. It's easy once you do it.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #13,463 of 14,386
You can reuse the same rings. Once you take the pads off, you can undo the mounting ring from the actual pads, just be careful as you need to stretch a part of the pad over the rings. The rings give a bit, take your time. It's easy once you do it.

Why would you go through the hassle and ruin stock pads when I linked to the mounting rings for $10 lol

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #13,465 of 14,386
Are the plastic rings glued on the stock 400i pads?
Yes so you will ruin the stock pads. Just follow my advice and get the rings for $10. Save yourself the headache.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #13,466 of 14,386
Yes so you will ruin the stock pads. Just follow my advice and get the rings for $10. Save yourself the headache.

For real.

As soon as you have successfully figured it out, swapping pads doesn't take too long at all and you'll find the rings are surprisingly resilient. Plus, you can ebay those Focus pads for a couple of bucks, with some luck.

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #13,468 of 14,386
ordered the rings, thanks for the help, sorry for the confusion
No worries, it's worth not destroying pads you may need in the future.

On that note, I'm contemplating the Ori pads. I have the BW Sheepskin but want to see what the fuss is about the SS Ori's. $60 is a lot though

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #13,469 of 14,386
ordered the rings, thanks for the help, sorry for the confusion
If you haven't figured out how to remove and install pads its easiest to use a credit card or other flat stiff plastic to unhook the tabs and to help you hook them back on.
HE400i-pads-mount.jpg

And you can also use some attenuation rings to tune the bass a little
Attenuation Rings.jpg
made from card stock, just play with different sizes and one or two to see if you like the changes. I've found this to boost the sub-bass and leave the rest of the sound unaffected unlike changing pads which usually affect the entire sound signature.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #13,470 of 14,386
If you haven't figured out how to remove and install pads its easiest to use a credit card or other flat stiff plastic to unhook the tabs and to help you hook them back on.

And you can also use some attenuation rings to tune the bass a little

made from card stock, just play with different sizes and one or two to see if you like the changes. I've found this to boost the sub-bass and leave the rest of the sound unaffected unlike changing pads which usually affect the entire sound signature.
You are one prolific sound tinkering aren't you? You realize that you've gone mad:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back