Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 3, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #13,441 of 14,386
Question about my new pair:
It happens to listen sometimes a click on the right can, happened 3 times today.
The cans are plugged directly to an iPhone 6 ( I am waiting the stack ) so I don't think it's something like too much power from the amp, can it just be the player or can be a problem of the cans? I am listening from deezer and if I change the EQ from flat to anything else I can listen the same sound but a bit different ( it's always different the click i listen from the cans, the last time I've listened 2 clicks)
1. If you switch the left and right cables going to the cups does the clicking move to the left?
2. Does the clicking happen with a different headphone or IEM?

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #13,442 of 14,386
Question about my new pair:
It happens to listen sometimes a click on the right can, happened 3 times today.
The cans are plugged directly to an iPhone 6 ( I am waiting the stack ) so I don't think it's something like too much power from the amp, can it just be the player or can be a problem of the cans? I am listening from deezer and if I change the EQ from flat to anything else I can listen the same sound but a bit different ( it's always different the click i listen from the cans, the last time I've listened 2 clicks)

A click? Sounds like your amp is clipping from lack of power. These aren't the hardest headphones to drive, but an iPhone may not be up to the job. Also, digital EQ often cuts the overall volume by a few decibels to make room for adjusting the sound. This means that to get the same volume as before you will need more power. For example, on my DAP turning on EQ cuts the volume by 6db or so, resulting in the player using 4 times the amount of power to get to the same volume. If headroom was minimal before, then it will start to clip.

That's my guess anyway.

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #13,443 of 14,386
Jan 3, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #13,444 of 14,386
1. If you switch the left and right cables going to the cups does the clicking move to the left?
2. Does the clicking happen with a different headphone or IEM?
1. Good idea, trying it right now
2. Nope, just with this one but I just discovered HQ music, so my he4xx are my first pair that need that much power to be driven well
A click? Sounds like your amp is clipping from lack of power. These aren't the hardest headphones to drive, but an iPhone may not be up to the job. Also, digital EQ often cuts the overall volume by a few decibels to make room for adjusting the sound. This means that to get the same volume as before you will need more power. For example, on my DAP turning on EQ cuts the volume by 6db or so, resulting in the player using 4 times the amount of power to get to the same volume. If headroom was minimal before, then it will start to clip.

That's my guess anyway.
Strange thing: I keep the EQ always on, flat settings, because the sound it's A LOT better.
My iPhone surely can't do the job to drive them well, it has .93V so I have most of the time Volume capped, can be this?

Jan 3, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #13,445 of 14,386
@Jerda , It could also be the planar diaphragm making the clicking noise if the seal to your head is really good, try and press the cups when you have them on and see if there is any clicking/crackling noise. I'd also have to agree with @phthora that it could be your iPhone clipping.

Have you tried them on a different setup like a PC or notebook to see if the clicking is still present? Or even try a different phone if possible.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #13,447 of 14,386
@Jerda , It could also be the planar diaphragm making the clicking noise if the seal to your head is really good, try and press the cups when you have them on and see if there is any clicking/crackling noise. I'd also have to agree with @phthora that it could be your iPhone clipping.

Have you tried them on a different setup like a PC or notebook to see if the clicking is still present? Or even try a different phone if possible.
I Don't think it's a so unreal good seal as I have beard and long tied hair :)
Maybe it's a player bug, didn't happened again since yesterday evening

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #13,452 of 14,386
Add a pair of Ori pads and you got a winner.

I Don't think it's a so unreal good seal as I have beard and long tied hair :)
Maybe it's a player bug, didn't happened again since yesterday evening
I hear some kind of clicking sound when i adjust my headphones on my head, besides that in certain frequencies i hear the driver rumbling a bit like a metallic sound that can be interpreted as a click maybe.

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #13,453 of 14,386
Jan 7, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #13,455 of 14,386
That's an interesting can, how does it compare to the he-400i? I have both the 400i and some LCD-2C's but I'd like a closed can to travel with. How does it compare to say a THX0
I wouldn't consider the TH-X00 a "travel" headphone and they are semi-close and they do leak quite a bit of sound that someone sitting next to you will hear what you are listening to.
I haven't heard the Meze but a few friends that have it like it over the HE400i. I'm curious to what you like about the LCD-2C and how it compares to the HE-400i in terms of bass, sound stage and treble extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back