Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 15, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #13,474 of 14,386
I switched my 400i v2's to ZMF Ori Lambskin pads recently and have been loving the results. More sub-bass, more impact, and more presence at the expense of a slight reduction in soundstage, a less slight increase in upper treble and an accentuated peak somewhere in the lower-treble. I find the mid-bass and mids feel more balanced now, though I am missing some evenness and overall presence in the lower treble/upper mids. They remind me of the LCD-2F now, though with less lushness in the mids, spikier treble, and less textured, less present bass. That seems like a lot of negatives, but I would call the new pads an overall improvement and a very worthwhile investment.

And they are ridiculously comfortable. I mean, obviously.

Here are some pics of them installed, with some comparisons to the stock Focus pads. Hopefully those are helpful for size reference.

Lastly, props @DavidA for the installation tip of using a Costco card to pop the tabs. Still couldn't get them installed in less than about five minutes per side, but that technique did help a lot. Dude must have surgeon hands though, for real.

20180113_122413.jpg 20180113_122428.jpg 20180113_123315.jpg

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #13,475 of 14,386
I received the He400i in last November. I didn't mind the Focus Pads that came with it but decided to try out the brainwavs angled memory foam pads. Since they were cheap and in stock, figured why not.

Holy crap the original pads had the rings glued to the pads. Wasn't ready for this but still pressed forward. Removed the rings as gently as I could (still slightly tore the original pads). Whew!. Then I realized the Brainwavz pads are .... smaller. than the rings. I thought I made a mistake, first i ruined the original pads slightly now I got pads that are small.

I pressed forwards, I bent the rings and inserted them in the Angled Pads, and after a few minutes the pads adjusted to the size of the ring. I was just paranoid the pads will be torn from the insides but nope managed to handle it pretty well. Moving on, the pads have to be inserted with the ring, after some trial and error and making silly mistakes like not aligning them properly, I got it to fit. The process was too involved, but some tweaks and patience it is manageable and once you learn the process, I bet it will be a lot easier.

I find them more comfortable, the bass seems more pronounced and I do enjoy them a lot more. I noticed that the sound stage decreased when compared to the hifiman focus-a pads just a bit less open but music sounds much better to me and overall I prefer it.

Also, Has anyone compared the ZMF ori to the MrSpekaers Alpha pads vs the Brainwavz Angled Pads? I'm interested in trying the Alpha Pads. Also thanks @phthora for the pictures!

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #13,476 of 14,386
This has probably been asked, so apologies, but has anyone found replacement/alternative pads that increase the sensation of soundstage without hideously affecting some other aspect of the sound?

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #13,477 of 14,386
I received the He400i in last November. I didn't mind the Focus Pads that came with it but decided to try out the brainwavs angled memory foam pads. Since they were cheap and in stock, figured why not.

Holy **** the original pads had the rings glued to the pads. Wasn't ready for this but still pressed forward. Removed the rings as gently as I could (still slightly tore the original pads). Whew!. Then I realized the Brainwavz pads are .... smaller. than the rings. I thought I made a mistake, first i ruined the original pads slightly now I got pads that are small.

I pressed forwards, I bent the rings and inserted them in the Angled Pads, and after a few minutes the pads adjusted to the size of the ring. I was just paranoid the pads will be torn from the insides but nope managed to handle it pretty well. Moving on, the pads have to be inserted with the ring, after some trial and error and making silly mistakes like not aligning them properly, I got it to fit. The process was too involved, but some tweaks and patience it is manageable and once you learn the process, I bet it will be a lot easier.

I find them more comfortable, the bass seems more pronounced and I do enjoy them a lot more. I noticed that the sound stage decreased when compared to the hifiman focus-a pads just a bit less open but music sounds much better to me and overall I prefer it.

Also, Has anyone compared the ZMF ori to the MrSpekaers Alpha pads vs the Brainwavz Angled Pads? I'm interested in trying the Alpha Pads. Also thanks @phthora for the pictures!

I made a comparison between a bunch of ear pads i have tried, by far my favorites are the ORI Pads, they are superior in every way to the HM5's in my opinion, the only earpads that come close are the Dekoni earpads which are pretty nice too.

I haven't tried the Alpha pads tho, i would like to know how they fit, because right now i think the Ori earpads fit the best on the HE400i they should come with those earpads imo.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #13,478 of 14,386

Holy **** the original pads had the rings glued to the pads. Wasn't ready for this but still pressed forward. Removed the rings as gently as I could (still slightly tore the original pads). Whew!. Then I realized the Brainwavz pads are .... smaller. than the rings. I thought I made a mistake, first i ruined the original pads slightly now I got pads that are small.

You could have just spent the $10 and bought the rings and not destroyed your stock pads lol

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #13,480 of 14,386
Just for everyone's benefit: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

Those are the mounting rings. 10 bucks, free shipping IIRC, arrive quickly and ready to go. Frankly, I think that is a very reasonable price on HiFiMan's part, and these rings do exactly what they need to do.

Save yourself 20 minutes of what WILL be the frustrating experience of installing new pads on a HiFiMan.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #13,481 of 14,386
Just for everyone's benefit: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

Those are the mounting rings. 10 bucks, free shipping IIRC, arrive quickly and ready to go. Frankly, I think that is a very reasonable price on HiFiMan's part, and these rings do exactly what they need to do.

Save yourself 20 minutes of what WILL be the frustrating experience of installing new pads on a HiFiMan.
Has anyone noticed the rings used in your pads? I've noticed 2 different version of the rings and found that they do make a small difference in the bass with the slightly less open one being the one that has a small boost.
Hifiman-pad rings.jpg
The one on the left is what is currently sold and looks like what is used in the Focus/Focus-A pads but the one on the right comes from the velour pads and the stock pleather pads.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #13,482 of 14,386
I've had 2 different pairs of the 2.5 mm non-backplate version of these. The first pair I had sounded amazing, VERY hi-fi speaker like (the most ''speaker'' like headphone I've ever heard). But I had to sold them to get the funds to repair my, at the time, broken laptop.

However the second pair I had 1 year ago, was extremely harsh in the highs. I had to EQ down the highs so much for them to sound smooth, to the point that the vocals became recessed.

The fit I had with these headphones was the best I've had of any other headphone.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #13,483 of 14,386
I switched my 400i v2's to ZMF Ori Lambskin pads recently and have been loving the results. More sub-bass, more impact, and more presence at the expense of a slight reduction in soundstage, a less slight increase in upper treble and an accentuated peak somewhere in the lower-treble. I find the mid-bass and mids feel more balanced now, though I am missing some evenness and overall presence in the lower treble/upper mids. They remind me of the LCD-2F now, though with less lushness in the mids, spikier treble, and less textured, less present bass. That seems like a lot of negatives, but I would call the new pads an overall improvement and a very worthwhile investment.

And they are ridiculously comfortable. I mean, obviously.

Here are some pics of them installed, with some comparisons to the stock Focus pads. Hopefully those are helpful for size reference.

Lastly, props @DavidA for the installation tip of using a Costco card to pop the tabs. Still couldn't get them installed in less than about five minutes per side, but that technique did help a lot. Dude must have surgeon hands though, for real.

I´m a idiot and sell my HE-560 because I thought inears were better for travveling, but in don´t like the tips in my ears. So I bougth a new 560, but it was canceled because the 560 are not avaible any more (by my dealer). So I ordered a Hifiman Sundara and hope it will be come this week. Also I bought Ori Pads and a original ring from Hifiman.
Now my question: Is it right, that the thicker side of ori upside (to the skull) and the thinner downside (to the neck) should mounted? Does different Fitting change the Sound?
Thanks for your answer

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #13,484 of 14,386
I´m a idiot and sell my HE-560 because I thought inears were better for travveling, but in don´t like the tips in my ears. So I bougth a new 560, but it was canceled because the 560 are not avaible any more (by my dealer). So I ordered a Hifiman Sundara and hope it will be come this week. Also I bought Ori Pads and a original ring from Hifiman.
Now my question: Is it right, that the thicker side of ori upside (to the skull) and the thinner downside (to the neck) should mounted? Does different Fitting change the Sound?
Thanks for your answer

The thick side of the pads should go towards the back, so when you put the headphones on you should be seeing the thick side coming at you. The interior shape of the Ori pads makes it intuitive as well. If you were to switch them around, that would effect the sound. The angle of the drivers in relation to your ears would change and that would probably dramatically weaken soundstage and, possibly, imaging. Plus, it would likely leave a gap on the back between your heads and the pads, while also compressing uncomfortably in front.

If you are simply asking about how the new pads would change the sound, I posted on that with some pics recently. I think it is reasonable to assume that the Sundara would see the same effects. Whether that makes them better or worse is something you'd have to decide. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #13,485 of 14,386
Thanks for your answer
According to recent posts on the Deal Discussion Thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...the-first-post.692119/page-1696#post-13981453), the HE-560 is available at Adorama for $349 (direct link: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560.html?emailprice=t).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back