Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 17, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #13,486 of 14,386
The thick side of the pads should go towards the back, so when you put the headphones on you should be seeing the thick side coming at you. The interior shape of the Ori pads makes it intuitive as well. If you were to switch them around, that would effect the sound. The angle of the drivers in relation to your ears would change and that would probably dramatically weaken soundstage and, possibly, imaging. Plus, it would likely leave a gap on the back between your heads and the pads, while also compressing uncomfortably in front.

If you are simply asking about how the new pads would change the sound, I posted on that with some pics recently. I think it is reasonable to assume that the Sundara would see the same effects. Whether that makes them better or worse is something you'd have to decide. I hope that helps.
Thanks!

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #13,487 of 14,386
Anyone have any thoughts on pads that enhance soundstage?

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #13,488 of 14,386
Anyone have any thoughts on pads that enhance soundstage?

Velour pads usually promotes soundstage best, but I have not tried full velour pads with any HiFiMen, so I can't help with specific brands or anything.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #13,489 of 14,386
I recently downloaded your trial version of Sonarworks Truefi and tried it with a pair of Hifiman HE-400i headphones.

I find it changes the sound of the headphones significantly. For example, the sub bass is increased dramatically. Even when I put the bass to flat (e.g. no increase) the bass still sounds dramatically increased. I cannot achieve this level of bass with any other EQs that I’ve tried. For example, the built-in EQ in iTunes on my Macbook pro, even when I increase the 20hz bass slide all the way up, it comes nowhere close to reproducing the amount of bass I get with Truefi. Likewise, when I use my Schitt Loki EQ and turn the 20hz knob all the way up, it’s also not even close. The bass with Truefi has a certain wow factor at first, but it very quickly becomes fatiguing, causing my ears to ring.

Is this truly a flat response? Because it sounds to be like the bass is much louder than the other frequencies.

I also find that the Sonarworks frequency response of the 400i looks quite different in the bass from other online measurements. For example, Innerfidelity’s measurements shows the 400i to be quite flat below 100hz, while Sonarworks shows a steep roll-off shortly after 100hz. Anyone know why this might be?

The midrange is also changed quite dramatically. For example, I have noticed on some songs how Truefi emphasizes electric guitar much more and reduces the emphasis on the drums. I really noticed this in a few “Tool” songs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these things?

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #13,490 of 14,386
I recently downloaded your trial version of Sonarworks Truefi and tried it with a pair of Hifiman HE-400i headphones.

I find it changes the sound of the headphones significantly. For example, the sub bass is increased dramatically. Even when I put the bass to flat (e.g. no increase) the bass still sounds dramatically increased. I cannot achieve this level of bass with any other EQs that I’ve tried. For example, the built-in EQ in iTunes on my Macbook pro, even when I increase the 20hz bass slide all the way up, it comes nowhere close to reproducing the amount of bass I get with Truefi. Likewise, when I use my Schitt Loki EQ and turn the 20hz knob all the way up, it’s also not even close. The bass with Truefi has a certain wow factor at first, but it very quickly becomes fatiguing, causing my ears to ring.

Is this truly a flat response? Because it sounds to be like the bass is much louder than the other frequencies.

I also find that the Sonarworks frequency response of the 400i looks quite different in the bass from other online measurements. For example, Innerfidelity’s measurements shows the 400i to be quite flat below 100hz, while Sonarworks shows a steep roll-off shortly after 100hz. Anyone know why this might be?

The midrange is also changed quite dramatically. For example, I have noticed on some songs how Truefi emphasizes electric guitar much more and reduces the emphasis on the drums. I really noticed this in a few “Tool” songs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these things?

Didn't see the 400i listed as a supported headphone. Just a matter of not updating the website?

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #13,492 of 14,386
can someone recommend a set of cable upgrade ? I bought the neomusica cable while shopping at the amazon for he-400i. dont find that useful. i am using sony zx300.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #13,493 of 14,386
can someone recommend a set of cable upgrade ? I bought the neomusica cable while shopping at the amazon for he-400i. dont find that useful. i am using sony zx300.
Depends how much you want to spend and if you want to go 2.5mm balanced, I don't think that Sony is the 4.4 right?

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #13,494 of 14,386
around usd 50. sony dap is balance and the connection is 4.4

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #13,496 of 14,386
Feb 1, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #13,498 of 14,386
Yea no kidding, the bass is so delightful on the he400s. I upgraded to the LCD2s because I couldnt take the tizzzzz.

Me either - I have pretty much the same setup - I found the 400i greatly improved after Sonarwork’s was applied, but AKG K712 after Sonarwork’s still iiimpresses me a lot more - even with the peaks evened out, 400i is fatiguing to me

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #13,499 of 14,386
Im pulling the trigger on these.
I have the HD 650s as my main cans.
Are the mids lush on the HE 400i?
is the treble smooth?

The mids are a bit forward, but not as lush as something like an LCD-2. Great resolution and texture through the mids, however. The treble has a few small spikes, but nothing too terrible. Just enough to know it's there, really. But, to address what seems to be your underlying question, these won't sound like an HD650. For one thing, they will have more sub-bass extension and very little of the bass roll-off or distortion that the 650s have. They also aren't as lush in the mids or as polite in the treble. ZMF Ori pads, I find, add a bit of volume to the upper bass and lower mids, making the sound slightly thicker overall in a way that I would call 'lush.' The pad change greatly improved my enjoyment of these headphones, and I would highly recommend it.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #13,500 of 14,386
Im pulling the trigger on these.
I have the HD 650s as my main cans.
Are the mids lush on the HE 400i?
is the treble smooth?
Adding to what @phthora noted you might also want to try some attenuation rings in the ear pads before buying replacement ear pads since the rings are easy to make and pretty much free.

What amp will you be using with the HE400i? Asking since an amp that pairs will with the HD650 most likely will not pair well with the HE400i since they have slightly different requirements and are affected by the output impedance of amps differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back