Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 29, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #13,006 of 14,386
I can't find a link, but the 400i's just made the Stereophile "Class A" recommended components, a $$$ value at $449.

Wow

(apologies if someone else posted this)

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #13,007 of 14,386
I just sent my 400i's back, I purchased them on sale as an upgrade to my K712 Pro's, To be honest I was quite surprised that they sounded more similar to my K712's than dissimilar, I think overall my main issue with 400i's was that they sounded too warm for me which meant I was missing out on some genres of music, the K712's are already on the fence when it comes to warmth for me, also I wasn't really a fan of the more intimate soundstage, I think I need to up my game and try something like the HD800/800s, need more clarity, I in fact I want as much clarity as possible but without feeling fatigued?
I recently bought a pair of he400i's but I will return them as well. For open headphones I've gone from the T1.2 to the Dt1990 and have now settled on the Amirons. Compared to the Amirons, the he400is are just a bit underwhelming. Their bass extension isn't nearly as good, and they aren't as resolving as the Beyerdynamics. They are very comfortable though.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #13,008 of 14,386
I recently bought a pair of he400i's but I will return them as well. For open headphones I've gone from the T1.2 to the Dt1990 and have now settled on the Amirons. Compared to the Amirons, the he400is are just a bit underwhelming. Their bass extension isn't nearly as good, and they aren't as resolving as the Beyerdynamics. They are very comfortable though.

The problem with the Amirions is they still haven't fixed that house Beyer sound with being too bright at the top end. They also compete at a different price range than the 400is. Lot of better headphones show up around $500-600.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #13,009 of 14,386
Bought these a week ago. Very impressed for the price, I got them new for £185 amazon. To my ears they are better than the LCD2.2 (saving £500!) and on par with HE500 though with a different sound characteristics. Great imaging for Jazz and pop. Slightly U shaped but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Detailed treble without fatigue and a bass hump similar to the HD650 but they extent lower. They do need a neutral solid state amp to shine though. Cracking headphones for those who want a warm, smooth, non-fatiguing sound.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #13,010 of 14,386
The problem with the Amirions is they still haven't fixed that house Beyer sound with being too bright at the top end. They also compete at a different price range than the 400is. Lot of better headphones show up around $500-600.
I find the Amirons are enough of a departure from the typical beyerdynamic house sound to be quite enjoyable. They seem to have a more fun signature than the he400i, and are not so fatiguing.

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #13,011 of 14,386
I find the Amirons are enough of a departure from the typical beyerdynamic house sound to be quite enjoyable. They seem to have a more fun signature than the he400i, and are not so fatiguing.
I've never really considered the HE400i fatiguing but since we all hear differently its possible to some like yourself that it would fatiguing. I'd have to agree with @hikaru12 that the Amirons are in a different price range and there are a few other headphones that I like in the $500-600 range like the EL-8, my custom Ypsilon G1 build, and the HD700 but since I've yet to hear the Amirons I may end up liking them also.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #13,012 of 14,386
Hey guys! New HE400i owner here. I just got Ori pads to replace the Focus pads. I used the rings from a pair of throwaway Hifiman velours. Anyways, I was able to fit the Ori pads on the HE400i without too much hassle, except... I'm hearing the left driver flexing when I put them on my head ! I think the seal from the leather pads is creating a bit of suction. Only the left though, which is weird. I've tried removing the left pad and putting it on again, just to see if it would help. Nope, I can still hear it. I'm a bit afraid the driver might pop over time. :S

Anybody with replacement pads (Ori, HM5 pleathers, etc.) have a similar experience ?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #13,013 of 14,386
I think the problem with the Ori pads is they are a bit heavier and you're also confirming the shape of the rings that are circular into an oval shape which increases comfort but also strains the clips. The best and most recommended pads I've heard for these are the Brainwaves followed by the lambskin ZMF pads (any line). I'd be careful since the rings are fairly easy to snap.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #13,014 of 14,386
Hey guys! New HE400i owner here. I just got Ori pads to replace the Focus pads. I used the rings from a pair of throwaway Hifiman velours. Anyways, I was able to fit the Ori pads on the HE400i without too much hassle, except... I'm hearing the left driver flexing when I put them on my head ! I think the seal from the leather pads is creating a bit of suction. Only the left though, which is weird. I've tried removing the left pad and putting it on again, just to see if it would help. Nope, I can still hear it. I'm a bit afraid the driver might pop over time. :S

Anybody with replacement pads (Ori, HM5 pleathers, etc.) have a similar experience ?
The 'Stax-fart' is a normal phenomenon, implicates a good seal, and hasn't been reported to cause any issues with any planars from various manufacturers. Had it on various headphones on occasion, perhaps a bit more often in the Audeze line as they aren't quite as open as the Hifimans.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #13,015 of 14,386
I think the problem with the Ori pads is they are a bit heavier and you're also confirming the shape of the rings that are circular into an oval shape which increases comfort but also strains the clips. The best and most recommended pads I've heard for these are the Brainwaves followed by the lambskin ZMF pads (any line). I'd be careful since the rings are fairly easy to snap.
The Ori pads are round, not oval. The opening for your ear is oval.

I got the creaking sound with Dekoni TH-900 sheep skin pads since they seal really well but I went back to the focus pads since I like the sound better with the Focus pads + attenuation rings.

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #13,016 of 14,386
The Ori pads are round, not oval. The opening for your ear is oval.

I think because the padding is so thick is what prevents them from being uncomfortable otherwise you're right oval or angled pads would do best with these. I'm curious if the Shure Alcantara pads would work well these as they are the most breathable of any pads I've seen which would maintain the airness of these cans and add more bass.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #13,017 of 14,386
I think because the padding is so thick is what prevents them from being uncomfortable otherwise you're right oval or angled pads would do best with these. I'm curious if the Shure Alcantara pads would work well these as they are the most breathable of any pads I've seen which would maintain the airness of these cans and add more bass.
I have tried the SRH-1840 pads which are alcantara but not perforated like the SRH-1540 pads, very comfortable and they breath well but they changed the sound, and not in a good way, The bass lost its weight and the highs became a little brighter IIRC, its been a while since I tried this.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #13,018 of 14,386
I have tried the SRH-1840 pads which are alcantara but not perforated like the SRH-1540 pads, very comfortable and they breath well but they changed the sound, and not in a good way, The bass lost its weight and the highs became a little brighter IIRC, its been a while since I tried this.

Hmm if that's the case the 1540 pads will probably not be any better. I think with their can design this is a good thing since they follow a U shape or completely neutral depending on the can so it adds shimmer but coming from my experience thicker pads make the most sense then for this. I've removed the cotton mod for the time being and the airyness is back but still haven't tried it with new tubes to see if I prefer their warmth with these.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #13,019 of 14,386
The 'Stax-fart' is a normal phenomenon, implicates a good seal, and hasn't been reported to cause any issues with any planars from various manufacturers. Had it on various headphones on occasion, perhaps a bit more often in the Audeze line as they aren't quite as open as the Hifimans.

Ah, thanks for the term ! I can do a bit of research. I had a feeling this wasn't totally abnormal because I also experienced it occasionally with my LCD-2F. Only difference is it happened with the stock (leather) pads on the Audeze, whereas it only happens with the replacement pads on the Hifiman (at least, I never noticed it with the Focus pads). So I got a bit scared into thinking the HE400i weren't supposed to do that, ever.

Anyways, some impressions of the Ori pads on the HE400i: I am very happy with what I hear ! So far, I find the Ori pads add a good amount of bass (reaching deeper in the subbass), while taming the treble of the HE400i. They also seem to add a much greater sense of depth to the overall sound: a much welcomed improvement ! They remind me a bit of my LCD-2s (which I've owned for almost 5 years).

Comfort-wise, I would say these are an upgrade over the Focus pads, with one small caveat. I prefer the feel of lambskin leather over velour on my skin, so that's a plus for me. Also, the oval ear-hole is a step up over the round one on the Focus. The caveat: the Ori pads, being thicker than the Focus pads, increase the clamp slightly. I moved the headband up one notch, which helps a lot.

Overall: very positive experience with the Ori pads so far ! :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #13,020 of 14,386
I recently got the Magni 3 to pair with my 400is. After some hours of listening, this amp seems to sound much better than my old Magni 2. With the Magni 2, the 400i could sound harsh on certain songs. The Magni 3 seems to have corrected this, as well as add a bit of warmth. The 400i with the Ori pads + Magni 3 sounds pretty damn good and somewhat like the LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back