Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #13,021 of 14,386
I recently got the Magni 3 to pair with my 400is. After some hours of listening, this amp seems to sound much better than my old Magni 2. With the Magni 2, the 400i could sound harsh on certain songs. The Magni 3 seems to have corrected this, as well as add a bit of warmth. The 400i with the Ori pads + Magni 3 sounds pretty damn good and somewhat like the LCD2.

Okay, these LCD2 comments are killing me. Ori pads are ordered....

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #13,022 of 14,386
Re: my previous comments on HE400i soundstage...

Visiting my wife's parents for a couple of days which gives me a lot of time to listen to music and fiddle with my audio set up. I was looking at the viper effects on my X5iii to see if I could coax more width from the headphones. Previously I had left only Field Surround on and of course was busy turning effects on and off to see the difference. Turned off everything and realised that the surround had been having a drastic effect on the presentation, really hugely changing the channel balance and not in a particularly good way.

Basically, it's like I'm starting with the 400i's all over again and I'm much less disappointed with the sound staging. Still not that "like you're actually there" effect which I'm chasing but so much better than before: wider, more involving, more engaging. I think I'm in excess of 50 hours on these so there may be a slight settling-in happening simultaneously.

Overall, I'm very happy with these headphones, clearly even more than before! I find them quite addictive. I think they're an absolute steal at the current price.

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #13,023 of 14,386
I recently got the Magni 3 to pair with my 400is. After some hours of listening, this amp seems to sound much better than my old Magni 2. With the Magni 2, the 400i could sound harsh on certain songs. The Magni 3 seems to have corrected this, as well as add a bit of warmth. The 400i with the Ori pads + Magni 3 sounds pretty damn good and somewhat like the LCD2.

Ah man... Ordered the Loki and was so tempted to get the magni3 but decided to be good and not buy it. Non-buyer's remorse.....

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #13,024 of 14,386
Re: my previous comments on HE400i soundstage...

Visiting my wife's parents for a couple of days which gives me a lot of time to listen to music and fiddle with my audio set up. I was looking at the viper effects on my X5iii to see if I could coax more width from the headphones. Previously I had left only Field Surround on and of course was busy turning effects on and off to see the difference. Turned off everything and realised that the surround had been having a drastic effect on the presentation, really hugely changing the channel balance and not in a particularly good way.

Basically, it's like I'm starting with the 400i's all over again and I'm much less disappointed with the sound staging. Still not that "like you're actually there" effect which I'm chasing but so much better than before: wider, more involving, more engaging. I think I'm in excess of 50 hours on these so there may be a slight settling-in happening simultaneously.

Overall, I'm very happy with these headphones, clearly even more than before! I find them quite addictive. I think they're an absolute steal at the current price.

I've tried to say away from EQ and other sound enhancement for the most part but it mainly because I just like each headphone for their own unique signature and my main listen setup does not allow for EQ due to logistical reasons. The HE400i was one of the first mid-level headphones that I got ($450 back in 2014) and while I still like how they sound I've started to find that there are a few alternatives that actually better the HE400i and HD650, two of the better known mid-range headphones these days. I know most think of Gardo headphones as bright / lacking bass and not very comfortable and I would agree but its the alternative drivers from companies like Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones and the use of the larger G-pads that have been slowly changing my thoughts. One of the main benefits of these alternative drivers is that they are very easy to drive so many friends that don't want to deal with DACs and amps can really just enjoy these from their phones or cheap DAPs. The only issue is these are DIY builds so not everyone will be able to make these and they are not the cheapest either at $275 to $400 for materials/parts.

If I someone told me I could only have one headphone at any price I would take the latest Ypsilon G1 driver in rosewood or teak GS style cups over any other headphone that I've owned or heard, these drivers are that good IMO.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #13,028 of 14,386
Yes in excellent condition with the new 2.5mm connectors
Funny you mention the 2.5mm connectors, I'd say they are a better deal if it was the older SMC connectors since I think the older SMC connectors with the back plate sound better but others think the newer non-back plate ones are better.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #13,032 of 14,386
sometimes all those peaks and dips are actually a good thing but it depends on what the individual's preference is and don't forget variance from manufacturing QC. I don't think my HE400i sounds like what the graph shows but since I haven't tested my HE400i for all I know its the same.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #13,033 of 14,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back