Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #13,039 of 14,386
These measurements are much closer to what I hear with my 400i's.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf

Of course, unit variation is fairly well-documented with these cans, so measurements may vary accordingly.

I have older HE-400i with backplate and I would also give the nod more to Tylls measurements. HE-400i are pretty balanced cans (at least with backplate and stock FocusPads) to my ears. I´ve recently heard HE-400s, HEX v2 and HE 1000 v1, v2 and all models from this family (from HE-400s to HEK) share somewhat balanced sound signature. To a degree some of them I would rate neutral/slightly warm (HEX v2, HE-400S, HE-400i with backplate) some quite neutral HEK (v1, v2) or some neutral/slightly bright (HE-560, HE-6). I haven´t heard newer HE-400i without backplate, HE-500 and HEX v1 so far.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #13,040 of 14,386
I have older HE-400i with backplate and I would also give the nod more to Tylls measurements. HE-400i are pretty balanced cans (at least with backplate and stock FocusPads) to my ears. I´ve recently heard HE-400s, HEX v2 and HE 1000 v1, v2 and all models from this family (from HE-400s to HEK) share somewhat balanced sound signature. To a degree some of them I would rate neutral/slightly warm (HEX v2, HE-400S, HE-400i with backplate) some quite neutral HEK (v1, v2) or some neutral/slightly bright (HE-560, HE-6). I haven´t heard newer HE-400i without backplate, HE-500 and HEX v1 so far.

My non-backplate 400i sounds slightly warmer than neutral through the mid-bass, with slightly less than neutral treble (at least overall). Very good bass extension, however, and quite balanced overall. I have heard newer 400i that sounded rolled off in the bass and more mids-focused, so I often wonder if there was a version 1.5 between the coax/backplate version and the 2.5mm/non-backplate version. No backplate on mine, but maybe the tuning was changed along the way or something.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #13,042 of 14,386
What's the verdict on the Ori pads? Are they better than the Brainwave angled pads? I'm planning on pairing them with a Magni 3 which from recent comments on this thread should tame the treble without issue. Impact Audio is on leave so looking for an alternative shop that can make me some aftermarket cables for this thing. Don't know why HiFiman didn't just include a portable cable and a desktop grade cable.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #13,043 of 14,386
What's the verdict on the Ori pads? Are they better than the Brainwave angled pads? I'm planning on pairing them with a Magni 3 which from recent comments on this thread should tame the treble without issue. Impact Audio is on leave so looking for an alternative shop that can make me some aftermarket cables for this thing. Don't know why HiFiman didn't just include a portable cable and a desktop grade cable.
Heck. I don't know why Hifiman does/doesn't do half the stuff they do! :)

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #13,044 of 14,386
Can't expect much for the price of the HE400i these days. My issue with the cable is it comes with a 3.5 angle connector which is a problem since it gets in the way of the volume control knob with some amps and its too short for my listening table but too long for portable use.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #13,045 of 14,386
Can't expect much for the price of the HE400i these days. My issue with the cable is it comes with a 3.5 angle connector which is a problem since it gets in the way of the volume control knob with some amps and its too short for my listening table but too long for portable use.

FWIW I use them portable all the time, whenever I walk the dogs (three times a day)
I look like a dork, but I don't care! And the cable length isn't an issue for me (not saying it shouldn't be for you, just that it's not for me :) )

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #13,046 of 14,386
FWIW I use them portable all the time, whenever I walk the dogs (three times a day)
I look like a dork, but I don't care! And the cable length isn't an issue for me (not saying it shouldn't be for you, just that it's not for me :) )
So funny you mention walking the dog, my old GF asked me to use pink silk organza when I did the grill mod since pink is her favorite color. While you and I may look like dorks with the HE400i out and about a female can get away with still looking fashionable just my changing a small aspect such as using pink since now it looks like a sort of fashion statement:
HD700-HE400i-2.jpg
She used the HE400i a few times walking the dog but her usual choice was her own HD700 with a Fiio X3. I've never been asked about any headphone I used walking the dog but my old GF got asked once or twice a month about the HD700, HE400i and pink Momentum on-ears when she walked the dog.
lily-momentum.jpg
My old GF Lily with the pink momentum on-ear.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #13,047 of 14,386
So funny you mention walking the dog, my old GF asked me to use pink silk organza when I did the grill mod since pink is her favorite color. While you and I may look like dorks with the HE400i out and about a female can get away with still looking fashionable just my changing a small aspect such as using pink since now it looks like a sort of fashion statement:

I she used the HE400i a few times walking the dog but her usual choice was her own HD700 with a Fiio X3. I've never been asked about any headphone I used walking the dog but my old GF got asked once or twice a month about the HD700, HE400i and pink Momentum on-ears when she walked the dog.

This whole post is too cool! I love it!! Yeah, my wife manages to look amazing no matter which headphones she's wearing! Ah well!! At least we have amazing 'other halves', right?? :)

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #13,048 of 14,386

I she used the HE400i a few times walking the dog but her usual choice was her own HD700 with a Fiio X3. I've never been asked about any headphone I used walking the dog but my old GF got asked once or twice a month about the HD700, HE400i and pink Momentum on-ears when she walked the dog.

Damn David, how many past girlfriends have you had brutha? You are the man I must say. The pic of her portrays a very beautiful "past" girlfriend. You're also looking quite young for your age too. Drinking from the fountain of youth my friend? Save me a bottle please.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #13,049 of 14,386
Damn David, how many past girlfriends have you had brutha? You are the man I must say. The pic of her portrays a very beautiful "past" girlfriend. You're also looking quite young for your age too. Drinking from the fountain of youth my friend? Save me a bottle please.
I think the "fountain of youth" is variety in wine, woman, and song LOL.
I'm surprised you still frequent this thread, I would have figured you might have found something else like the TH-900 to keep you happy. By the way, how do you like the Lyr2 with the HE400i and M1060?
Forgot to mention that I started another build using the spare Nhoord driver that I have since I used the GS style cups for the Ypsilon G1 which has turned out to be better than the scarlet that you heard after they had a chance to break in for a few weeks. Here's a picture of the G1 build:
Ypsilon-G1-b.jpg
I'm finding these a little more detailed than the HE400i, more extended up top so its borderline on getting sibilant, slightly wider and taller sound stage, and bass that is felt on the side of my head and makes my HE400i seem bass lite but its still not in the Fostex TH series bass class.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #13,050 of 14,386

Yeah found a $60 aftermarket cable for them with four pair OFC copper sleeved in black. Probably getting that. That's funny you should say that. I originally bought these for the $500 price point and they were my most expensive headphones at the time. I can't believe how cheap they've gotten since then. I was thinking of the 500s since they could be found for a good price now too but they're a bit heavy and I don't know how much more detail I'd get vs these but I still hear that they're a good upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back