Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 20, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #9,273 of 14,386

this is my current eq. I crack the Objective 2 full on high gain and put on foobar2k the pre amp to -16.08 db. Now, this is worth $300 in my opinion. ​

Such is the world of different tastes and impressions.
Curious; have you noticed any effect on brain burn-in discussed previously in the thread, related to a new headphone/perhaps listening to a planar for the first time?

On a sidenote, noticed a HFM replacement pad-thread bumped, crawled through the pages, but thought the information found here on the impressions thread just wasn't there, hence, a post!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489

So, waiting for the HM5 angled pleather pads, and thanks again @James Myers.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #9,275 of 14,386
Here are my current EQ and crossfeed settings for the HE400i.  This is with the Audioengine D1 feeding the HiFiMan EF2C with Voshkod replacement tubes:  (of note almost all my headphones get pulled down a bit at 3-4kHz, as I have an in-ear resonance there, that's the sharp valley you see, so that's not as much about the HE400i as it is my own ears).

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #9,276 of 14,386

this is my current eq. I crack the Objective 2 full on high gain and put on foobar2k the pre amp to -16.08 db. Now, this is worth $300 in my opinion. ​

You mean the 400i is worth $300? $300 is entry level pricing for decent sound quality these days no matter how you slice it and the 400i has always seemed to me to be a really great performing headphone. I guess value is very personal and don't get me wrong, I do believe that prices are crazy, but be that as it may, $300 for the 400i still seems like a very good value to me, maybe even exceptionally so. Glad you have found a way to enjoy the 400i, cheers.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #9,277 of 14,386
To be honest, I didn't feel satisfied using the O2 with the he400i, switching to the Ember made a world of difference to them for me personally, but that's just me.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #9,278 of 14,386
so ive narrowed down my choices for amp. 

1. project polaris (dont know wether to get Aggresive or Mellow for 400i's
2. magni 2 uber

leaning more towards Polaris, im reading great praise especially partnered with the 400i. will i go wrong with polaris+modi2uber with my 400i? XD

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #9,279 of 14,386
  You mean the 400i is worth $300? $300 is entry level pricing for decent sound quality these days no matter how you slice it and the 400i has always seemed to me to be a really great performing headphone. I guess value is very personal and don't get me wrong, I do believe that prices are crazy, but be that as it may, $300 for the 400i still seems like a very good value to me, maybe even exceptionally so. Glad you have found a way to enjoy the 400i, cheers.

Having the HE-400i for a few months now, listening to it 90% of the time un-EQd, I'd have to admit that the first few days' impression wasn't sublime, but after every single day since then, I feel awestruck. I do feel that the brain burn-in discussed earlier in the thread is a thing, not to mention, grabbin these for a wee bit over 300 euros in Europe was an absolute steal.
After these few months, I still feel like I'm on the brain burn-in-journey, finding new things in various aspects of the sound signature, and feeling moments of surprise, both in positive and negative ways, almost on a daily basis.
Additionally, for some reason, I've significantly dropped the listening volume level from the early weeks, from 70+ on my m9XX, to 55-60+.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #9,280 of 14,386
  Why are the bass frequencies organized out of order (51-42-78-10)?

Because it looks funny.

I understand. It may be mainly due to my rig. But I'm planning on getting a ZMF blackwood soon. Perhaps I will really like that.
I meant that it wasn't worth $300 to me. It kind of felt like a waste of money with the harsh treble and dead bass. But now it's much better to my preferences now. 

Having the HE-400i for a few months now, listening to it 90% of the time un-EQd, I'd have to admit that the first few days' impression wasn't sublime, but after every single day since then, I feel awestruck. I do feel that the brain burn-in discussed earlier in the thread is a thing, not to mention, grabbin these for a wee bit over 300 euros in Europe was an absolute steal.
After these few months, I still feel like I'm on the brain burn-in-journey, finding new things in various aspects of the sound signature, and feeling moments of surprise, both in positive and negative ways, almost on a daily basis.
Additionally, for some reason, I've significantly dropped the listening volume level from the early weeks, from 70+ on my m9XX, to 55-60+.

Glad you can enjoy them without eq. cheers!

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,281 of 14,386
  Because it looks funny.

That's good enough for me! 
o2smile.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #9,282 of 14,386
Finally, *cough*, the pads!

Hasty first-minute impressions:
Bass extends deeper and hits with more oomph , but the detail in the nether regions is still a question mark, did it get less detailed, is the timbre still there, or is it just something to get used to?
The soundstage seems equally wide as with the FocusPads, or at least the difference is minimal. The positioning due to the larger angle of the pads, and obviously the position of the ear related to the driver pulls you somehow towards the music and the instruments. As intimate as HE-400i is with the stock FocusPads, the first impression is that you're inside the orchestra/instruments with these monstrosities. Is it a good or bad thing?
The 6-9k peak seems a wee bit tamed, the excitement and energy in music is still there, but some of the EDM which either required EQing or xfeed as a solution for some parts of the music where it felt like ripping/tearing paper inside your ear canal - that isn't the case any longer. Definitely a warmer presentation, but can this begin to sound dull in the long run?

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #9,284 of 14,386
I wonder if a Mojo reslly brings out the best of these cans?

they sound really great with the Mojo.  The Mojo takes a bit of the edge off with its smooth yet spacious presentation.  Mojo has plenty of power for them as well.  

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #9,285 of 14,386
  Finally, *cough*, the pads!

The 6-9k peak seems a wee bit tamed, the excitement and energy in music is still there,

Why wouldn't a simple EQ adjustment for the peaks you didn't like be a better solution than pads which globally changes many things at once?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back