Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #9,256 of 14,386
  I agree, if you like the HD 700 signature, and it is a very polarizing signature from what I read, it can be had for deep discounts over the original suggested retail price. The fact that it sells for so low is evidence that as a sound signature, it was as close to a total fail as anything. However, if you like it, man can you get great prices and I agree, the build quality is pretty darn good (based on reading and I did handle a store demo, just didn't have time to listen that day). I never had a chance to audition one so I couldn't take the chance on buying one which is a shame as the prices are very reasonable.

my issue wasn't so much the signature (or at least the way we normally mean signature around here) as it was weirdly peaky in the treble: it would have this elevated treble spike next to a deep, narrow valley.  It just sounded very disjointed to me.  And because it wasn't just a generalized tilt of the signature, it was very difficult to fix with EQ.  I thought the HD700 was going to be my end game: HD800ish detail that can be driven from almost anything.  I don't think I've ever been as disappointed by a headphone as I was the HD700.

Also so it doesn't seem like I'm anti-Senn, I got to listen to the HD800S again yesterday, and man, that's just such a masterpiece of a headphone.  I'd say that even just out of my m9XX it was the second best setup I've ever heard, to Purk's KGSSHV Carbon SR009 setup.  

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #9,257 of 14,386
@fjrabon, yes I had read about the strange treble characteristics, which is what I was alluding to when I said signature (bad choice of words). Hard to believe that Sennheiser could have missed so widely with the HD 700, but the huge price drop is ample evidence that it failed to find a place within a very competitive market.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #9,258 of 14,386
  Okay perfect! Would that be the best for gaming or would the K712's be better than hifiman and sennheiser? Furthermore would Magni2U/Modi2u be sufficient for those cans?? Sorry I'm new to the audio game and its a lot and overwhelming haha.

I wouldn't use the M/M stack for these headphones since they are all on the bright side and pairing them with a neutral/bright DAC/amp combo might make them overly bright and harsh.  As I noted the HD-700 and HE-400i are easy to drive so I wouldn't get the M/M stack until you have tried them out of either headphone jack or gaming consol.

I agree, if you like the HD 700 signature, and it is a very polarizing signature from what I read, it can be had for deep discounts over the original suggested retail price. The fact that it sells for so low is evidence that as a sound signature, it was as close to a total fail as anything. However, if you like it, man can you get great prices and I agree, the build quality is pretty darn good (based on reading and I did handle a store demo, just didn't have time to listen that day). I never had a chance to audition one so I couldn't take the chance on buying one which is a shame as the prices are very reasonable.

The issue with the HD-700 is the spike that affects individuals differently and to some extent the DAC/amp used from what I've found.  While its easier to drive than the HD-800 it is still a little picky with amps.  The Fiio X3 DAP that my GF uses is on the warmer side so the pairing is decent, she can't stand the HD-700 with the Asgard2, it gets to bright and borderline harsh at times.  Knowing your slight aversion to the highs from the TH-600 I would not recommend the HD-700 for you unless driven by a decent tube amp with a warm signature.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #9,260 of 14,386
  I tried the HD-700 out of my smartphone 2 years ago, and they were absolutely unlistable. Extremely harsh

That's why I say that the amp (and DAC) used is the key to how the HD-700 sounds, with my S5 its thin and a little on the bright side and borderline harsh since the volume needs to be maxed out to get to listening level.  Even my HE-400i sounds thin and a little harsh on my S5.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #9,261 of 14,386

That's why I say that the amp (and DAC) used is the key to how the HD-700 sounds, with my S5 its thin and a little on the bright side and borderline harsh since the volume needs to be maxed out to get to listening level.  Even my HE-400i sounds thin and a little harsh on my S5.

The HE-400i sounded good through my smartphone and iPad 4 without any amp/dac. Very clear, and not harsh unless the recording was harsh.

While the HD-700 simply was unlistable through my smartphone. Just pure treble harshness is all I've heard.

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #9,262 of 14,386
Hello guys! Just got my pair of 400i's from amazon. My previous pair of headphones were the DT770 80ohms from Beyerdynamic and was looking to upgrade so i got these! First impressions are good, although not exactly mindblowing, im not an audiophile and only have a small Fiio E10k to power them with for now i plan to get Magni2/Modi2 next week. Mabye my ears just cant tell the difference but i notice very little coming from my 770's. The bass is less and "cleaner" i guess but it almost sounds the same to me. Mabye with better amp they will give me more sound and mabye the breakin stuff too. The 400i's are very comfortable though i would say a little more than my dt770's, although the clamp is tight for me right now (big head). Really love these earcups. 

People were suggesting EQ with 400i's and i wanted to get some more feedback before i try that, i dont know exactly how to EQ in windows and have it universal for everything like youtube, spotify etc. Apparently i shouldnt need a grill mod or whatever with these new versions with new grills also. So i dont plan to do any modding and would like to know if EQing anything would give me any better sound. I ordered an extra 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable with them cuz i knew the right angle would get on my nerves so i got the replacement HD700 cable, its nice although really short even shorter than stock 400i cable, and the next longer size is still not a big change, plus this cable was like 40$, really need a long (somthing like the stock dt770 lenght) replacement cable. 

These are my impressions so far (2 days lol) from a new mid-fi'er. Like them so far! thanks for reading!

edit: My listening habits so far are usually Metal(scar symmetry), DNB,and Grunge rock. Metal sounds 1000% better in these 400is and even though theres tons less bass from dt770, EDM sounds real good with these! I use spotify premium. They sound i dont know how to describe but "cleaner" than my dt770's. I do not miss all the bass and really like the clarity on these so far. Hopefully the magni2/modi2 setup will make them sound better than my tiny Fiio e10k lol!

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #9,263 of 14,386
  Hello guys! Just got my pair of 400i's from amazon. My previous pair of headphones were the DT770 80ohms from Beyerdynamic and was looking to upgrade so i got these! First impressions are good, although not exactly mindblowing, im not an audiophile and only have a small Fiio E10k to power them with for now i plan to get Magni2/Modi2 next week. Mabye my ears just cant tell the difference but i notice very little coming from my 770's. The bass is less and "cleaner" i guess but it almost sounds the same to me. Mabye with better amp they will give me more sound and mabye the breakin stuff too. The 400i's are very comfortable though i would say a little more than my dt770's, although the clamp is tight for me right now (big head). Really love these earcups. 

People were suggesting EQ with 400i's and i wanted to get some more feedback before i try that, i dont know exactly how to EQ in windows and have it universal for everything like youtube, spotify etc. Apparently i shouldnt need a grill mod or whatever with these new versions with new grills also. So i dont plan to do any modding and would like to know if EQing anything would give me any better sound. I ordered an extra 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable with them cuz i knew the right angle would get on my nerves so i got the replacement HD700 cable, its nice although really short even shorter than stock 400i cable, and the next longer size is still not a big change, plus this cable was like 40$, really need a long (somthing like the stock dt770 lenght) replacement cable. 

These are my impressions so far (2 days lol) from a new mid-fi'er. Like them so far! thanks for reading!

edit: My listening habits so far are usually Metal(scar symmetry), DNB,and Grunge rock. Metal sounds 1000% better in these 400is and even though theres tons less bass from dt770, EDM sounds real good with these! I use spotify premium. They sound i dont know how to describe but "cleaner" than my dt770's. I do not miss all the bass and really like the clarity on these so far. Hopefully the magni2/modi2 setup will make them sound better than my tiny Fiio e10k lol!

don't worry about EQing for a while.  Let your ears/brain adjust to them as they are, first.  Get a sense of what you feel like is missing.  Then EQ.  Everybody's ears are constructed differently and everybody hear's differently, so what you feel is missing might be very different from somebody else.  What you think is the perfect EQ adjustment make it sound harsh or boomy to somebody else.  

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #9,264 of 14,386

Hi,

and welcome to the bunch!

There's been loads of discussion on the thread with the beforementioned topics, the search button is your friend!
And what @fjrabon said, but what caught my eye - coming from a closed dynamic driver headphone to an open planar magnetic, especially the topic related to "brain burn-in" -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion/6540#post_12223149, it might take some time to get used to the "planar sound", not to mention the totally new sound signature per se of a new headphone.
Regarding the bass, I've noticed is that the bass is truly there if the recording/source actually has it.
If it's (re-)mastered properly, the bass extends deep and has loads of texture in it, and even has the sometimes lauded "oomph", but not in a one-note-way, though I wouldn't consider the HE-400i as a basshead headphone. The usual remasters with compressed dynamic ranges suck in that aspect, and there might be some effect with the headphone seal, if you're wearing glasses as well.

I've enjoyed EDM, and more technical metal with un-EQ'd HE-400i, due to probably the production values and focuses of the genres in question, the fast representation by HE-400i truly shines there, but then again, for grunge, and most hard rock, I do find myself needing a bit more bass via EQing -> how to properly do it, and some posts about it, and a general EQ program for Windows. Actually, planning on grabbing a used HD 650 for fluidity cravings :p

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #9,266 of 14,386
What's an affordable dac/amp that goes good with 400i? I want it to be portable, and I will be attaching my dx80 to it as source list

You will need to define affordable. For some people that means $100, for others it might mean $1500.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #9,267 of 14,386
Just realized my 400i's were being gimped by a "Audio Enhancement" setting in my SPDIF settings in Windows 10. After unchecking this I can most def 100% tell there is a volume increase... Weird, as ever since i got my Fiio E10k i never saw this enchancement option until recently. Heads up to everyone just incase might want to check? 

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #9,270 of 14,386
  hmm actually i had just downloaded "Equalizer APO" to try EQing but never did lol is that what added that?

Well, it has a -6dB set as a default preamplification for "proper" EQing (the discussion), you could check if that's checked on or not, and additionally.
I can't remember after installing, did it actually set any EQ on by default, probably not, did you perhaps click on the power icon on the preamp-section, and then just closed & forgot about the program? :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back