Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #9,301 of 14,386
This is all good news to read, i at first regretted not going for 560 but im getting used to 400i now and love it, i like the idea of a "brighter" or less "closed in congested" sound since thats the idea i get with these but also im running my 400i through a E10K which i think is known to be like that hopefully when i get my Project Polaris the sound will get better. I am really digging the bass on these it sounds so much different than im used to i think it may be that planar bass everyone talks about, since i came from a closed back V-shaped headphone im not used to the sound on my 400i's yet for sure. Don't regret it at all

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #9,302 of 14,386
I think if you are willing or have the system to properly drive the HE-560 then it would be my choice.  For those that want a fairly easy to drive planar with a great sound signature the HE-400i would be my choice for under $500, if your budget is higher then the EL8 open (latest revision) would be the next step up then up to the HE-X or LCD-X (don't really think either are worth the cost but if you need easy to drive then they are hard to beat).

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #9,303 of 14,386

that's my take as well.  I will never short change the HE560, it's a brilliant headphone.  I simply preferred the HE400i, which also has the upside of being less amp picky, whereas the HE560 needs very precise synergy to really sound its best, I can plug the HE400i into the Dragonfly red and it ROCKS.  I think a lot of people assume that all HE400i owners use it because they couldn't afford the HE560.  I'd buy the HE400i over the HE560 if they cost the same price, without thinking twice.  I also completely understand people who take the opposite viewpoint.  They're fairly different sounding headphones.

My next hope is that the Focal Elear takes what I like about the HE400i and adds some more transparency, bass impact and soundstage. 

Having heard the Focal Elear and being an owner of the 400i, IMO you're not going to get more soundstage out of the Elear.

Quote:
When paired with the right amp (KGSSHV Carbon being the best I've heard it with) it offers the greatest clarity of any headphone I've ever heard. Also, with the right setup the bass quantity is decent, but the bass quality is near perfect. Stunningly lifelike soundstage.

Yes they are above the SE846

Agree with this entirely. With the right amp, the SR-009 is simply jaw-dropping.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #9,304 of 14,386

that's my take as well.  I will never short change the HE560, it's a brilliant headphone.  I simply preferred the HE400i, which also has the upside of being less amp picky, whereas the HE560 needs very precise synergy to really sound its best, I can plug the HE400i into the Dragonfly red and it ROCKS.  I think a lot of people assume that all HE400i owners use it because they couldn't afford the HE560.  I'd buy the HE400i over the HE560 if they cost the same price, without thinking twice.  I also completely understand people who take the opposite viewpoint.  They're fairly different sounding headphones.

My next hope is that the Focal Elear takes what I like about the HE400i and adds some more transparency, bass impact and soundstage. 

Honestly it sounds like what you want is the HE-500

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #9,305 of 14,386
  Honestly it sounds like what you want is the HE-500

eh, the HE500 is too amp fussy for me to bother with.  I've had one at various junctures and it does indeed sound great, just too fussy for my needs.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #9,306 of 14,386

eh, the HE500 is too amp fussy for me to bother with.  I've had one at various junctures and it does indeed sound great, just too fussy for my needs.

what are you lacking from it on the wrong amps? I might be inclined to get one, but I've only heard it from one amp, so I'm intrigued by your statement

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #9,307 of 14,386
I just picked up a pair Monday. These seem to be much more power hungry than my Edition S and Grado 325E. I'm using a Creek OBH-11 and run it around 9 o'clock for the previous 2 but around 12 for the 400i. Are planar inherently harder to drive?

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #9,308 of 14,386
  I just picked up a pair Monday. These seem to be much more power hungry than my Edition S and Grado 325E. I'm using a Creek OBH-11 and run it around 9 o'clock for the previous 2 but around 12 for the 400i. Are planar inherently harder to drive?

The HE-400i is one of the easier to drive planar headphones but they will benefit when properly driven.  I get decent sound with a Fiio X3 DAP but the volume will be turned up quite high.
Easy to drive planar are HE-X and LCD-X, HE-560 very hard to drive properly

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #9,309 of 14,386

The HE-400i is one of the easier to drive planar headphones but they will benefit when properly driven.  I get decent sound with a Fiio X3 DAP but the volume will be turned up quite high.
Easy to drive planar are HE-X and LCD-X, HE-560 very hard to drive properly ​I

I was just wondering if Planar are much more difficult to drive or power hungry compared to most "dynamic" headphones. I need to turn the volume on the amp up to "match" the volume of the Edition S and I was wondering if this was normal. Either way really nice cans!!

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #9,310 of 14,386
  I was just wondering if Planar are much more difficult to drive or power hungry compared to most "dynamic" headphones. I need to turn the volume on the amp up to "match" the volume of the Edition S and I was wondering if this was normal. Either way really nice cans!!

Just like with dynamic headphones, there's easy to drive ones and hard to drive ones. Though the HE-6 is one of the most power-hungry out there and is a planar. Pretty normal to have to turn up more for the 400i, it's not too hard to drive but requires a bit more than some other headphones out there.

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #9,314 of 14,386
The 400i can be played off a phone....

It will be at its best when being fed with at least 800mw - 1w @16 ohm.  I feed mine with 4w

What do you mean by 800-1000mW @ 16 ohms? You mean an amp with 16 ohm output impedance?! Also, 4 watts would make your HE400i play at roughly 130dB. You may have a 4 watt amp, but you aren't feeding your headphone 4 watts unless your volume control is maxed out.

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #9,315 of 14,386
So I just got a nice Russian 6n6p tube that i put in my Project Starlight fed from a Emotiva DC-1. WOW this tube with the HE-400i is really really special. It really engages the low end and brings a nice presence. They are still not as tight and in control as the HE-560 but a HUGE difference from my 12AU7A Clear Top. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back