Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #5,446 of 14,386
  Hello David. I currently have the HD600, Bottlehead Crack and the TEAC UD-301- great combination!! I want to pick up the 400i on Black Friday but am worried about amplification. How will the 400i sound driven directly from the UD-301? Eventually I can pick up a decent amp for the 400i but would rather not if the 301 will drive them well. Thanks!

The UD-301 will do a fairly good job with the HE-400i, going to a better amp will make a difference but not a "WOW" difference.  Somewhere down the line if you every do get a new amp I would suggest either the Ember or Lyr2, they give the HE-400i a little better highs compared to the UD-301 and the bass is slightly more extended, this is also dependent on the tubes used so YMMV.  The Ember will also work with the HD-600 but not as good as the BH Crack, that's a hard combo to beat unless going way up the price scale IMO.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #5,448 of 14,386
Black Friday Deal is tempting, would like to ask how does it sound driving with only iPhone 6S Plus?

What is the best and most affordable amp recommended to drive this baby?

Works good with the Cayin C5 and that's below $200. I think the iPhone might be a bit underpowered to drive a planar to its fullest. I tried it out of my AKTT and it sounded slightly anaemic.The C5 adds a tinge of body and warmth, the result is very nice to hear.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #5,449 of 14,386
Does anyone else have comparisons to the HD650?

I'm not really looking for it to be better, though that would be an added plus.  I really just want to try the planar sound and get something a bit different.

If these are going to essentially sound almost just like my HD650 then I would probably be better off buying something else.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #5,450 of 14,386
  Does anyone else have comparisons to the HD650?

I'm not really looking for it to be better, though that would be an added plus.  I really just want to try the planar sound and get something a bit different.

If these are going to essentially sound almost just like my HD650 then I would probably be better off buying something else.

The 400i is quite different from the 650 to my ears. Night and day different? Perhaps not, but I would think the 400i the better of the two anyway and as I said, if you want to own both at the same time both different enough. The 400i is quite fast and the music will be more involving as it crackles with energy and the highs are very nicely extended and not harsh.​

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5,451 of 14,386
  The 400i is quite different from the 650 to my ears. Night and day different? Perhaps not, but I would think the 400i the better of the two anyway and as I said, if you want to own both at the same time both different enough. The 400i is quite fast and the music will be more involving as it crackles with energy and the highs are very nicely extended and not harsh.​

Thanks!  I might as well give them a try since Hifiman has that 30 day return policy, in case I don't like them.  

Fast sounds good.  My HD650 sometimes has troubles keeping up with my symphonic metal, which is rather fast and complicated at times.  How would the 400i perform with that genre of music you think?

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5,452 of 14,386

Thanks!  I might as well give them a try since Hifiman has that 30 day return policy, in case I don't like them.  

Fast sounds good.  My HD650 sometimes has troubles keeping up with my symphonic metal, which is rather fast and complicated at times.  How would the 400i perform with that genre of music you think?

I​ can't speak from experience, I do listen to bands like Tool, Sevendust and Dreamtheatre and the 400i has been more than up to the task. Mind you the majority of the time I listen to electronica which can be a good test of speed and resolution ability and again I think the 400i is one of the safer bets out there. It is of course subjective, but the 400i seems to be so well tuned that even if somebody didn't love it, they would probably be able to live with it as a minimum. Good luck and let us know what you think if you do get a 400i.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,453 of 14,386

I​ can't speak from experience, I do listen to bands like Tool, Sevendust and Dreamtheatre and the 400i has been more than up to the task. Mind you the majority of the time I listen to electronica which can be a good test of speed and resolution ability and again I think the 400i is one of the safer bets out there. It is of course subjective, but the 400i seems to be so well tuned that even if somebody didn't love it, they would probably be able to live with it as a minimum. Good luck and let us know what you think if you do get a 400i.

I listen to a little Dream Theater!  I'm glad to hear they sound good on the 400i.  They are pretty similar to some of my other music I listen too as well.

One last question and it may sound a little weird, but this will be my first planar headphone.  Does it have the traditional, definitely planar sound?  For instance, I know that some people have attributed the newly released 400s to having a somewhat dynamic sound rather than planar.  With this being my first one though, I definitely want those planar sound characteristics.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,454 of 14,386

I listen to a little Dream Theater!  I'm glad to hear they sound good on the 400i.  They are pretty similar to some of my other music I listen too as well.

One last question and it may sound a little weird, but this will be my first planar headphone.  Does it have the traditional, definitely planar sound?  For instance, I know that some people have attributed the newly released 400s to having a somewhat dynamic sound rather than planar.  With this being my first one though, I definitely want those planar sound characteristics.

Not sure what happened? I put a reply but it wasn't posted, just the quote. Yes, the 400i is to me a really nice planar sound. I had an HE 560 for a year and the 400i isn't that far off that performance mark, and actually is easier to listen to in regard to the treble which will be important to you with your musical tastes.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #5,455 of 14,386
  Not sure what happened? I put a reply but it wasn't posted, just the quote. Yes, the 400i is to me a really nice planar sound. I had an HE 560 for a year and the 400i isn't that far off that performance mark, and actually is easier to listen to in regard to the treble which will be important to you with your musical tastes.

Great! I appreciate the help, I'll post some impressions once I get them in.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5,456 of 14,386
I posted some of this in the m9XX thread but I'll share here also:

The m9XX is able to power both my 400i and K7XX at the same time without problem. And I must say it makes the K7XX sound absolutely wonderful! Since I am able to switch headphones with almost no delay, it's easy to hear the difference in presentation and soundstage between the two. The 400i is very intimate with vocals and just stunning with stringed instruments. The K7XX is a very wide soundstage and just a very smooth sound all around.

It seems the the 400i can sometimes be sibilant whereas the K7XX kind of smooths over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back